The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-22 20:06:43

sgage

/etc/os-release error

I have been running a beowulf installation for some time, and I only just noticed that lsb_release -a reported 'Debian' as the 'Distributor ID'. The os-release file has Debian instead of Devuan as the ID, and that's what gets reported.

This is a very serious, show-stopper bug, and I trust that the entire Devuan Project will drop what they're doing and turn their attention 100% to this issue until it is fixed.  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)

#2 2019-09-22 23:44:51

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: /etc/os-release error

Um, we did that. It's in /etc/os-release.  ID=debian magically makes third-party software work with devuan. I think there's another reason for it, but I don't remember what it is. What I don't get is why /etc/lsb-release doesn't override it like it used to.

#3 2019-09-22 23:58:56

sgage

fsmithred wrote:

Um, we did that. It's in /etc/os-release.  ID=debian magically makes third-party software work with devuan. I think there's another reason for it, but I don't remember what it is. What I don't get is why /etc/lsb-release doesn't override it like it used to.

In my poking around re: this issue, I got the impression that lsb_release has change a bit over the last few interations. Seems to be somewhat of a moving target.

I changed it to Devuan in my system, and haven't noticed any ill effects, but is something suddenly stops working, I'll know where to look. I really don't care what lsb_release reports :-)

#4 2019-09-23 10:56:33

bgstack15

I think Debian itself is stopping its effort to chase LSB full compliance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Sta … _on_Debian

This space intentionally left blank.

Board footer