The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-26 13:50:54

kel_en

Does Beowolf use Wayland?

When I upgraded my Debian 9.9 to 10.0 (Buster) several problems arose because of the switch to Wayland.  Solving those problems requires disabling Wayland and rebooting.  I like my Ascii installation but always keep my installations updated to the latest stable releases.  So, my question relates to what will happen when Beowolf is released.  Thanks.

#2 2019-08-27 00:24:19

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Does Beowolf use Wayland?

I've done a few upgrades from ascii to beowulf, and I haven't seen wayland. Did get a cryptic error message that mentioned wayland. Something warning me about trying to start synaptic as root, as if I wasn't supposed to do that. Didn't make any sense to me and I did finally get synaptic working the way I want.

aptitude why wayland (or whatever the main package is called) should tell you what pulled it in. I'd be interested to know, thanks.

#3 2019-08-27 09:07:02

ToxicExMachina

The reason why wayland is default graphical system in Debian is GNOME. GNOME has its own wayland display server hard-coded into DE. In GNOME project X Window System is now in deprecated state despite the fact wayland is just unable to work properly due to policies and protocol. In GNOME project X Window System is now in deprecated state despite the fact wayland is just unable to work properly due to policy and protocol. This is also the reason why maintainers are trying to remove perfectly working packages from Debian.

I think if GNOME won't be default DE nobody will ruin your stable and reliable X.org based GUI.

#4 2019-08-27 11:45:11

kel_en

Thanks.  Makes sense that GNOME is the culprit.  The bug reports that I submitted were for GNOME packages.  XFCE in asci meets my needs.  I've been hoping that Devuan would avoid Wayland along with systemd and networkmanager.  Not sure what I'll do with my wife's Debian machine when Stretch is not supported as she LIKES GNOME.

Board footer