The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-08 13:02:34

macondo

ALSA is my favorite

Yeah, well, I'm guilty of being a minimalist and a tight wad, I still drive my mom's 1965 VW bug (made in Germany)...what can I tell you? My idea of installing, is to burn a CD not a DVD. That's why I love FreeBSD and OpenBsd, they got this 'boot only' cds (pretty small) and do everything thru the net.

I do a Devuan net install, install nothing, reboot, and THEN, install what I want:
http://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1638

My post-installation sound configuration is like this:
$ sudo apt-get install audacious audacity mpv mplayer alsa-tools alsa-utils

then I launch alsamixer:
$ alsamixer

unmute with letter m, adjust volumes, press Esc to get out of alsamixer, go to youtube and play my favorite tunes and raise or lower the volume with my keybinds in my window manager.
In icewm, jwm, or ratpoison.

In icewm:

#Sound
    key "Ctrl+Down"      amixer -q set Master 9%-            # lower volume
    key "Ctrl+Up"        amixer -q set Master 9%+             # raise volume

Ctrl + Up/Down keys do the trick... that's it!

Later,

Desktop Dual Core 8 GB RAM - Devuan Ceres - Slackware Current - Grub - JWM
“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.” ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

#2 2019-08-09 21:41:47

bgstack15

Re: ALSA is my favorite

Thank you for sharing! I like alsamixer-gui and alsamixer myself. I confess I haven't done a whole lot of configuring my window manager/DE to send volume up and down like you've got shown here for icewm.

I'm surprised you haven't got any conflicts in any programs with Ctrl+Up and Ctrl+Down for controlling the system audio. I normally have to bind to something longer.

This space intentionally left blank.

#3 2019-08-29 05:18:06

czeekaj

I only use alsa as well. Works great.
Although, I have issues with one laptop I bought at an auction for cheap.
It's a skylake, it pipes audio on some multi channels. The speakers on on the second device so changing the default gives you speakers.. But the headphone jack doesn't work, maybe it requires realtek. However, I know lots of Realtek laptops loose all audio on windows, when it updates. (same laptop model btw) dell latitude 7450.

Now, I may not be wearing a tinfoil hat atm. But sometimes I do, hasn't happened to me but others regarding realtek and it has re-occured. They let windows auto manage the updates. I wouldn't run windows on a laptop. Now, I heard something Mossad had some thing where they figured with realtek drivers they can turn headphones into microphones. Neat.  I discovered it when I was searching web for known realtek vulnerabilities

https://www.wired.com/2016/11/great-now … s-can-spy/.

Last edited by czeekaj (2019-08-29 05:18:54)

#4 2019-08-30 10:36:31

masterpeace

Tbh i don't even have money to buy laptops . But my Linux mentor said try to get the Local-brand AMD laptop otherwise just try Lenovo or HP . Since most of the time they worked out-of-the-box with Linux/BSD or at least with minimal configuration .

Other good choice is Intel NUC and Raspberry Pi , or Banana Pi if you can't even buy RbPi .

On the topic , you can have this ALSA working for bigger soundsystems using this (i forgot the name of the application) that works like routing application . You have this GUI to connect which driver to which soundcard . I also remembered it mentioned on iirc freedompenguin's channel (you know the channel with vikingpenguin) . *Let me check my Youtube's history i hope it remains there .

Last edited by masterpeace (2019-08-30 11:06:09)

Board footer