The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-05 18:53:37

Micronaut

UPS monitor

Another convenience of Mint was that it just automatically noticed the UPS was connected and installed something to monitor battery status. Is this "something" or an equivalent available in Devuan?

#2 2019-08-11 12:13:45

thierrybo

#3 2019-08-12 04:02:50

Micronaut

Re: UPS monitor

Yeah, I found that in the repositories. But for some reason it's accessed through a metapackage named ups-monitor and simply putting that name on the command line causes aptitude to complain and refuse to install it. There are two packages, apcupsd and nut-client, and I have to "choose" one. Not sure what that means with a metapackage. Additional command line arguments?

#4 2019-08-12 11:41:39

bgstack15

A metapackage is normally designed as an easy name, such as "ups-monitor" and it is really an empty package which requires a bunch of the libs and other dependencies needed to perform the task. However, in this case, the apcupsd package has a "Provides: ups-monitor" visible in apt-cache show apcupsd. It fulfills the role of "ups-monitor." You can choose if you want to install apcupsd or nut-client. Not sure which would be best for you based on the situation. Nut is more cross-manufacturer iirc, and apcupsd sounds specifically like for the APC brand. I use CyberPower, which provided its own [rpms, on CentOS].

This space intentionally left blank.

#5 2019-08-13 02:27:39

Micronaut

A Cyberpower UPS is what I have. There is apparently a Cyberpower driver in the Debian repositories, but I'm not running my Devuan install right now. I'll be looking for it next time I boot Linux.

#6 2019-08-18 21:06:09

Micronaut

Well, the online database for the Debian repositories says there is a powstatd for CyberPower UPses. But it doesn't show up when searching with aptitude. On the other hand, the xfce "power manager" is installed by default. It does pop up a message soon after booting about noticing my UPS and that it is charged, but that quickly disappears. How do I get a widget to stay on the task bar where I can check it? There doesn't seem to be anything in the power manager preferences, but there is something or other that keeps a status icon on the task bar in Mint.

Board footer