The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-25 03:06:16

reunite_pangaea

What should I know before "diving in"

I'm a Mint user who, maybe this week, will start a dual boot with Devuan.

While I am a Mint user, I've had experience with Arch and Ubuntu minimal before and I've installed Devuan on VirtualBox. But is there anything I should really know before installing it directly?

And yes, I know the whole "back up your current system before installing a second OS" thing and I intend to do so.

#2 2019-07-25 11:46:27

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: What should I know before "diving in"

A fresh install should go smoothly. The installer isos are just like installing debian. The live isos use refractainstaller. Install guides can be found on this page. (scroll down about half way)
https://devuan.org/get-devuan

#3 2019-07-26 01:34:14

aut0exec

reunite_pangaea wrote:

I'm a Mint user who, maybe this week, will start a dual boot with Devuan.

While I am a Mint user, I've had experience with Arch and Ubuntu minimal before and I've installed Devuan on VirtualBox. But is there anything I should really know before installing it directly?

And yes, I know the whole "back up your current system before installing a second OS" thing and I intend to do so.

Welcome! Former Mint user as well... You'll like Devuan; I've been running ASCII, Beowulf, and Ceres with Cinnamon on a number of different machines and everything still feels like Mint but runs so much better!

#4 2019-08-28 22:47:52

czeekaj

Use refractainstaller-yad. It's a lot easier than Ubuntu's installer. IMHO.
If you upgrade to Beowulf, as it's unstable your PATH will break
also your bootloader-id will need to be set to debian. You can do this in chroot if you reboot before restarting. smile
All the non-free-firmware are in /firmware. There is a local command

remove-non-free-firmware 

which will purge all the non-free packages
also refractasnapshot will create a snapshot of your install including home. Than you can dd it to a usb for easy imagining.

Other than that, beowulf is on 4.19 and Ceres is on 5.2.0-2.

have fun, smile witamy

Last edited by czeekaj (2019-08-28 22:57:30)

#5 2019-08-29 02:03:17

fsmithred
Administrator

If you upgrade to Beowulf, as it's unstable your PATH will break
also your bootloader-id will need to be set to debian. You can do this in chroot if you reboot before restarting. smile

The PATH change was deliberate. Use 'su -' instead of 'su' and you'll get root's normal path.
You can do grub-install --bootloader-id=debian OR replace grub-efi-amd64-signed with grub-efi-amd64 (and make sure secure boot is turned off.)

Board footer