The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-25 18:22:49

catprints

The devuan 1.0.0 desktop-live amd64

@ fsmithred: I ran the live-desktop(no uefi) with default xfce desktop and installed mate desktop using synaptic. I then installed to harddrive.slick and smooth.My question is: If I had removed the default xfce desktop would the install to hdd still work? Is the icon to install using refracta-installer?
In any case-great work!

"The obstacle is the path."

#2 2017-05-26 10:49:46

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: The devuan 1.0.0 desktop-live amd64

Yes, it uses refractainstaller. The desktop icon (and the apps menu) runs a wrapper script that starts either the uefi or non-uefi version of the graphical installer. The cli installer is there, too.

Any changes in sofware or configuration of the system get copied to the hard drive.  I would anticipate some potential problems around the fact that the destop was installed with metapackages, so removal of a single package could result in a slash and burn of the desktop, including the graphical installer. That's not as bad as it sounds - since it's a live system, you can just reboot and try it again. Also, you need to have enough RAM to update the package cache and the installed packages.

#3 2017-05-26 12:52:56

catprints

Thanks for the info. I posted here (DIY) because this iso opens up so many diy possibilities. Great work to ALL involved in Devuan developement. Going to play with this live iso a lot.

"The obstacle is the path."

#4 2017-06-04 09:01:37

FOSSuser

Just got around to trying an installation from this 'live' from a pendrive. all went smoothly except the auto login bit, I thought I had auto by leaving all but creating a separate home partition in the installer. Never mind, maybe I didn't understand how the option was written. smile

What I am having a little bit of a problem with is double clicking, I'm used to single clicking, & as yet, haven't found where to alter that.
I also removed the bottom panel, as it takes up too much of the screen.

I had previously tried an installation from the regular installation media, & found it quite slow, as was Debians originally, which basically drove me to using live installable media. This version is on a par with most live installable distros that I have experienced.

It would be nice if a version of this Devuan Live could be made available from the repos, without any added programs or desktop environment, just a simple window manager (maybe TWM), with wifi, to get going with, so that one could add whichever WM or DE & programs that they wanted.
(i.e. Just a basic X system with wifi.)

I know there are third party versions available, but it would be nice to be able to have a basic X system as a choice from Devuan itself. smile

#5 2017-06-04 15:17:47

fsmithred
Administrator

The pre-checked items in the installer options window are "Disable auto-login..." (desktop and console). Un-check them if you want auto-login in the installed system.

A live iso with just xorg and a window manager is something I'm thinking about for ascii. Then people can add stuff (or fail to add it and report problems.) I will bring this up in discussion with the devs.

I had previously tried an installation from the regular installation media, & found it quite slow, as was Debians originally, which basically drove me to using live installable media.

That exact same thing drove me to writing live installers.

You can set single-click in thunar preferences, but it won't affect the desktop icons. For a short time when debian jessie was still in testing, xfce desktop had single-click. I guess they considered it a bug and "fixed" it. It's possible that there's a way to recover that feature by messing with config files, but I've never tried it.

#6 2017-06-04 17:24:28

FOSSuser

Shame about no 'single click' option, looks like I'll have to get used to the 'Windows' way, or else go back to a WM. wink

A live iso with just xorg and a window manager is something I'm thinking about for ascii. Then people can add stuff (or fail to add it and report problems.) I will bring this up in discussion with the devs.

Thanks, that will be nice to have, (with wifi), & probably please quite a few other people. smile

#7 2017-06-09 23:38:57

Somewhat Reticent

fsmithred wrote:

…A live iso with just xorg and a window manager is something I'm thinking about for ascii. …

So, one of the minimal-live ISOs just released, with Xorg+wm added?  connman too?  Or a tree/list of options to add?

#8 2017-06-10 09:04:24

FOSSuser

Never heard of connman before, I tend to use ceni, but I'll accept wicd. smile

#9 2017-06-10 09:12:01

FOSSuser

The idea of a basic 'X' live is to get a faster installation than using the regular install media - then you just add in the programs that you want.

Sometimes you will want different programs on a different computer, & this will allow you to set them up quickly.

Running live, you will be able to temporarily add software, to use, (or just to check it out before installing it).

Also, it will help those that like to build different 'distros', they will only have to concentrate on their additions & tweaks.

#10 2017-06-10 11:39:11

fsmithred
Administrator

I don't know if there will be an official bare-bones-with-X release. Maybe something like that from Refracta or one of the other derivatives (or "project" if that's what you're calling your rose now.)

In the past, I made refracta isos with no-X when the Testing release went into freeze. But those builds are not minimal. I can't resist adding a lot of extra packages. That will happen again soon. When debian jessie was in testing, I also made some early isos with openbox and sysvinit. I might do that again, but it would probably be less polished. One way or another, I can assure you that ascii isos are coming soon.

Board footer