The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-01 15:38:48

halfBleed

When will/was Beowulf stable enough to move to?

About a year ago, on irc I was told that ceres(sid) was at the time more stable than beowulf, with lots of stuff breaking. I was wondering: Is this still the case? If not, when did it stabilise, and if so, when will it?

#2 2019-07-01 18:37:39

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: When will/was Beowulf stable enough to move to?

The beowulf branch is based on Debian buster and that is due to become stable next week.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2019-07-02 10:33:23

halfBleed

yes, but before ASCII was stable, I was on buster (dual-boot win, deb, dev). BAsically, what I'm asking, when did or will Beowulf become safer to use than ceres

#4 2019-07-02 14:28:18

nixer

when did or will Beowulf become safer to use than ceres

I don't know that there is an "exact" answer to that.  However, for me Beowulf took a major turn toward stability a few months ago when libelogind was presented.  Since then, I have had only theme (xfce) related problems which were minor.  Now, when the Network-Manager packages get sanitized, then I will remove the ascii block on them and then I will be 100% beowulf. 

But since Ceres has been working so well for so long, I will only be using my Beowulf partition if and when ceres stumbles.

#5 2019-07-02 15:18:43

Panopticon

halfBleed wrote:

yes, but before ASCII was stable, I was on buster (dual-boot win, deb, dev). BAsically, what I'm asking, when did or will Beowulf become safer to use than ceres

Most likely when Devuan announces that Beowulf is out of testing phase and into stable.  Unless im mistaken but im sure release model is the same as Debian, sid/ceres will always be unstable, buster/beowulf currently in testing.

#6 2019-07-02 18:45:03

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

There seems to be some confusion in this thread about the meaning of the term "stable" — the word is used to refer to the package versions rather than reliability and the Devuan beowulf package versions will stop changing (ie, become stable) on the 6th of July.

#7 2019-07-03 00:23:03

fsmithred
Administrator

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

the Devuan beowulf package versions will stop changing (ie, become stable) on the 6th of July.

That's true for about 95% of the packages - the ones we get from debian and don't change.
Some of the devuanized packages will still be changing after that, but a lot of the important stuff has already been done. (like policykit, elogind, eudev)

Some data points...
- Our first release was 2 years behind debian.
- Our second release was a year behind debian.

Some opinion...
I think the trend will continue and third release will be six months or less behind debian. The installer isos are the last thing to get debugged before the actual release date. The system is usable well before that.

#8 2019-07-03 18:09:07

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

^ Thanks for the information! smile

Board footer