The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-20 12:09:17

Panopticon

Heads Distro

Can anyone advise if this live distro has a persistence feature? Ive searched this forum and the heads website and there is no mention of any type of persistence or casper ability.

I would like to only download the tor browser but its not available in stable repo's, i could get the source and did but the shasums do not match and i know how to check a shasum properly. So im not going through with a source install.

I really dont want to do this but my isp has decided i am not allowed to visit one of my favorite news websites zero hedge. I dont want to watch any gory videos (zero hedge doesnt host video, mainly links to them in editorials by the writers) i just like to keep up to date with a non mainstream alternative news blog, especially considering the site is mainly concerned with finance.

Any help much appreciated, i dont normally go in for the privacy orientated distros or anything tor but ill make an exception to circumvent my totalitarian isp provider.

Last edited by Panopticon (2019-03-20 12:12:57)

#2 2019-03-20 18:20:19

chris2be8

Re: Heads Distro

How is your ISP blocking you? I had one site I use falsely blocked in my IPS's DNS servers. I got round it by changing /etc/resolv.conf to use 1.1.1.1 as nameserver. That may be an easier way round.

But I'd be interested in knowing how to install tor. So I can access sites like washingtonpost.com without silly messages about GDPR compliance (in their case the button to click to say I want access doesn't work at all!)

Chris

#3 2019-03-20 19:11:30

stanz

Your having trouble installing 'Tor', in Heads? or simply want to add it to your working devuan?
The rate Tor updates (and often), might be a good reason it's not in the repos.

Must you have the 'source' package?
Tor's package here, is an 'extract' and 'works' install--
from where-ever you decide to run it from. And 'updates' on it's own. smile  (with your knowledge & approval)

We also have access to Opendns (memory might be off!) that I use in my home router.
Another option is OpenVPN...

miyoisomix.i2p

#4 2019-03-20 19:17:26

stanz

How to verify signatures for packages
Scrool down to Linux section.
There's other posts on this forum, with instructs.

Which Desktop you using?

Last edited by stanz (2019-03-20 19:20:12)

miyoisomix.i2p

#5 2019-03-21 09:20:24

Panopticon

@ chris, due to the massacre in christchurch, NZ and Australian isp's decided to block some websites that had links and or were hosting the gunmans live stream, but facebook the platform that livestreamed it stayed up. Anyhow must have been only a temporary ban for zero hedge as is it now back up, they have banned 8chan, liveleak and bitchute as well but ive only ever visted liveleak a few times in the past, the others i didnt know existed. Ill try the nameserver thing next time and im sure there is going to be a lot of next times in the foreseeable future.

@ stan, the tor browser launcher is in the repos but in testing/Beowulf not stable https://pkginfo.devuan.org/stage/beowul … 3.1-2.html, i dont want to go messing about adding a package from testing into stable so i found Heads which is a live distro https://heads.dyne.org/ like tails and has tor all setup. I call it a source tarball from the website you linked, i dont think you build from source but it is the top level or up stream source so to speak, maybe my understanding is wrong. I know how to verify a package thanks.

Im going to mess about with Heads and see if i cant make a live usb with persistence though, shouldnt be too hard ive done it on a debian live iso before so should be fairly similar.

Cheers

Last edited by Panopticon (2019-03-21 09:23:56)

#6 2019-03-21 09:29:52

fsmithred
Administrator

Standard methods for persistence won't work with Heads because live-config is not installed. There might be another way to do it, but I don't know how. You could make your own heads iso with live-sdk and add live-config and live-config-sysvinit to the package lists. (I haven't tested that but it should work.)

Keep in mind that full-persistence can reduce security. The read-only system is always clean when you boot up - every boot is the first time. If you just want to be able to save files, create another partition and mount it somewhere in your home.

#7 2019-03-21 11:03:48

Panopticon

thanks fsmithred, i suppose it is what it is, in that regards. Ill give the live sdk / config a try. Basically just wanted to install a few apps that heads doesn't have and keep browser book marks and offline pages/docs to read but i suppose one could load them onto another usb or mount an internal data partition and keep offline docs there. Thanks for the info.

#8 2019-03-21 13:38:12

fsmithred
Administrator

Here's the repo with instructions (and a link to more instructions.)
github.com/headslive/build-system

You can unpack the tor browser bundle on a rw partition and it will keep your setting, bookmarks and downloads in the tor-browser directory. Make sure the partition has exec in the mount options. And look at tomb for encryption. I believe it's already installed.

#9 2019-03-22 13:51:43

Panopticon

Thanks again fsmithred. I managed to get tor-browser to work. My issue was i was using sourceforge, forgot about that. Anyhow after doing the correct method from the tor website using gpg recv all went well.

would reftacta-snapshot and refracta-installer work if one were to go into heads live and modify the apt sources list and install these into the system then refracta onto another usb?  Probably hit a few errors i imagine not being a system that is able to be installed.

#10 2019-03-22 19:22:35

fsmithred
Administrator

I'm pretty sure I tried refractasnapshot and installer in heads some time ago. I think it works if you add the live-config packages. Newest version of the installer is 9.5.3 and it's in ascii, beowulf and ceres. You don't need to change sources.list for that. Just update the package cache and install what you want.

Board footer