The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-20 01:56:34

duck

How is service management done?

Trying out Devuan for a systemdless system and don't know how to manage services.

Could be the options I picked when installing, but many more services than I want are enabled (cups, etc.) Just want a bare minimal setup.

Last edited by duck (2019-03-20 02:17:55)

#2 2019-03-20 06:48:50

ToxicExMachina

Re: How is service management done?

Devuan is using the same service management as pre-systemd Debian (see sysv-rc and "service" command). If you want a bare minimal setup out of box - netinstall is for you.

#3 2019-03-20 13:14:40

duck

I did an ascii netinstall and selected only the bottom package options (they seemed to be all CLI related) and it looked like I saw x11 related things being installed. Also cups was installed by default. Perhaps I selected too many options. I'll try selecting only one or none next time.

The "service" command seemed to disappear for me after I upgraded to beowulf (maybe before, I don't remember?) so I was wondering if a new management system was being implemented, or perhaps my upgrade didn't go smoothly.

Since it seemed borked, I went ahead and went on to ceres and no change.

The old laptop (i386) I installed it on idoesn't like a multiple USB boot I have setup so I'm going to have to do a reinstall anyway.

A little off topic, but possibly related? I seem to only be able to execute a shutdown/reboot via "/sbin/shutdown" ? Is the expected behavior? I come primarily from an Ubuntu background and just run "shutdown" by itself.

Last edited by duck (2019-03-20 13:15:53)

#4 2019-03-20 13:45:09

Ogis1975
Website

If you doing install from netinstall .iso, We have to install only the essential softwares required to run the operating system. By default, a lot of the software packages are selected. Deselect all the selected softwares and only keep Standard system utilities selected. Good luck!

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

Board footer