The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-17 16:33:06

msi

A directory bookmarking utility for the command line

In my graphical file manager, I use directory bookmarks quite a lot, which makes for a nice speed boost in reaching those ones I use more frequently. And at some point, I realized that one thing that was slowing me down on the command line was not having the same kind of bookmarking facility there.

So, I started looking at some existing tools that implement this kind of functionality, notably goto, but finally decided to create my own, called dibm. Version 1.0.0 was done in late November 2018 and worked quite nicely. But, as it turned out, it contained some rather massive conceptual flaws. So, I spent some time (quite a lot, actually) refactoring the whole thing into a better shape. The result seems ready for being released as version 1.1.0, as far as my testing goes.

If anynone wants to check it out, the source is available at:
https://github.com/msiism/dibm

Comments welcome.

#2 2019-02-19 11:43:03

Panopticon

Re: A directory bookmarking utility for the command line

Looks interesting, i will have to give a try.

I have been using nnn the Noice is Not Noice, a noicer fork... a term based file manager like ranger and it has a functionality to save bookmarks like below in bashrc. But i like your idea better as its outside of any program term based fm like nnn or ranger and such.

NNN_BMS: bookmark string as key_char:location pairs (max 10) separated by ;:

export NNN_BMS='d:~/Documents;u:/home/user/Cam Uploads;D:~/Downloads/'

NOTE: Bookmark keys should be single-character to use them in combination with the Leader key.

https://github.com/jarun/nnn

Its not in devuan stable i had to compile it.

Last edited by Panopticon (2019-02-19 11:44:21)

#3 2019-02-19 11:55:12

Panopticon

Just tried it and yes this will be great for deep link bookmarking on the command line, well done msi and thanks for sharing.

#4 2019-02-19 14:31:24

msi

Nice to hear you find it useful.

As you mentioned nnn, I've had a look at that as well (but haven't tried it yet). It's definitely an interesting tool. I'm actually doing quite a lot of file management on the command line now and someone recommended ranger to me recently.

#5 2019-02-19 14:38:23

Panopticon

Give nnn a try first msi, has no dependencies and is under 60kb in size, it does not have the functionality of ranger in some respects but it is lightning fast and has some pretty nifty controls and switches. Its a no bloat type of file manager but really functional imo.

Board footer