The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-10 21:52:47

myrddin

New Devuan installation in PEI Atlantic Canada

Hi from a retired IT manager in rain soaked Prince Edward Island,

One more non-Systemd installation to add to the list. I replaced my Debian Jessie today with Devuan XFCE..Flawless install, and up and running with no problems.
I do have one question though... Is there an equivalent command to system-analyze, blame plot (etc) for looking in at the boot process.

I admire what you (Devuan) are doing and based on what I have read (only scratched the surface) there are some serious problems looming between Systemd and the Kernel development group. The kernel itself is tightly guarded for very good reasons, and modifying it to fix problems caused by external developers (whoever they may be) is not in the interest of the broad Linux community, To draw a parallel, an auto manufacturer would not modify any in-house designs because a supplier screwed up, and the part doesn't fit any more. Even in my limited exposure to Systemd, it is obvious how it is gradually encompassing more and more system functions.

Regards to all
Richard

No matter how eloquently the dog barks, he cannot tell you that his master is poor, but honest...........Bertrand Russell

#2 2017-05-10 22:07:06

nixer

Re: New Devuan installation in PEI Atlantic Canada

there are some serious problems looming between Systemd and the Kernel development group. The kernel itself is tightly guarded for very good reasons, and modifying it to fix problems caused by external developers (whoever they may be) is not in the interest of the broad Linux community

Well now, isn't this interesting.  I kind of left behind the systemd arguments when I did my first bootstrap install of devuan over two years ago.  Been using it ever since (or a derivative).  Seems that systemd is trying to creep even harder into the kernel.  Lets hope not.

Welcome to the forums myrddin, and I like your analogy about the auto manufacturer!

#3 2017-05-11 10:24:07

myrddin

Hi again,
I apologize for sounding as if I was pontificating in my first post. Believe me when I say after 20 years in IT management/project management in manufacturing, any ego I may have possessed, was shredded a long time ago. I an very much the newcomer, having only used Linux for the last 4 years. I am looking forward to learning from your (the forum) experience and experiences..
Regards
Richard

No matter how eloquently the dog barks, he cannot tell you that his master is poor, but honest...........Bertrand Russell

#4 2017-05-11 10:34:16

fsmithred
Administrator

There are a couple that might meet your needs.
- bootlogd will log the boot process in /var/log/boot
- bootchart2 will record the time for each process at boot and make a nice chart for you.

And since this is gnu/linux, there are probably 10 more ways to do it that I don't know about.

Have fun, and welcome to the forum.

#5 2017-05-11 12:18:26

myrddin

Thanks for the info...

Actually gave me my first opportunity to fix something new, facing this bootchart error : "No path given, trying /var/log/bootchart.tgz warning: path '/var/log/bootchart.tgz' does not exist,"... finally tracked the answer down on the Debian wiki, which involved a simple addition to the command line in grub, and a lightly sarcastic hint from the maintainer, to read the info in the docs directory....
Simple but satisfying !!!!
Now to do a reinstall with a very minimal XFCE system, built from just the base install. For example, building XFCE4 piece by piece.. e.g. XFCE4-panel, session,terrminal, thunar, etc. This was how my previous Debian Jessie installation was built, other than a learning process dealing with starting and stopping services, I hope i don't bork the install too badly....  I'm having fun already LOL !!!
Regards
Richard

Last edited by myrddin (2017-05-11 12:19:11)

#6 2017-05-11 19:27:41

apprentice

myrddin wrote:

Hi from a retired IT manager in rain soaked Prince Edward Island

i feel your pain, from drenched saint-louis, n.b.

Board footer