The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-03 18:34:16

Ron

Troubles playing audio CD on SMPlayer

I posted this on SMPlayer forums but still waiting for a response there. I'm hoping anyone here who uses SMPlayer can help. When I try to play a CD (a prerecorded "album") I'm getting an "Exit code: 2" error. I'm on version: 16.11.0 (revision 8242), Devuan 2.0 (ASCII). Here's the log file. Thanks.

/usr/bin/mpv --no-config --no-quiet --terminal --no-msg-color --input-file=/dev/stdin --no-fs --hwdec=no --sub-auto=fuzzy --no-input-default-bindings --input-vo-keyboard=no --no-input-cursor --cursor-autohide=no --no-keepaspect --wid=60817427 --monitorpixelaspect=1 --osd-scale=1 --sub-ass --embeddedfonts --sub-ass-line-spacing=0 --sub-scale=1 --sub-font=Arial --sub-color=#ffffffff --sub-shadow-color=#ff000000 --sub-border-color=#ff000000 --sub-border-size=0.75 --sub-shadow-offset=2.5 --sub-codepage=utf8:ISO-8859-1 --sub-pos=100 --volume=100 --cdrom-device=/dev/cdrom --cache=auto --osd-level=0 --screenshot-template=cap_%F_%p_%02n --screenshot-format=jpg --screenshot-directory=/home/ron/Pictures/smplayer_screenshots --audio-channels=2 --audio-pitch-correction=yes --af-add=equalizer=0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0:0 --volume-max=100 --term-playing-msg=MPV_VERSION=${=mpv-version:}
    INFO_VIDEO_WIDTH=${=width}
    INFO_VIDEO_HEIGHT=${=height}
    INFO_VIDEO_ASPECT=${=video-aspect}
    INFO_VIDEO_FPS=${=container-fps:${=fps}}
    INFO_VIDEO_FORMAT=${=video-format}
    INFO_VIDEO_CODEC=${=video-codec}
    INFO_AUDIO_FORMAT=${=audio-codec-name}
    INFO_AUDIO_CODEC=${=audio-codec}
    INFO_AUDIO_RATE=${=audio-params/samplerate}
    INFO_AUDIO_NCH=${=audio-params/channel-count}
    INFO_LENGTH=${=duration:${=length}}
    INFO_DEMUXER=${=current-demuxer:${=demuxer}}
    INFO_SEEKABLE=${=seekable}
    INFO_TITLES=${=disc-titles}
    INFO_CHAPTERS=${=chapters}
    INFO_TRACKS_COUNT=${=track-list/count}
    METADATA_TITLE=${metadata/by-key/title:}
    METADATA_ARTIST=${metadata/by-key/artist:}
    METADATA_ALBUM=${metadata/by-key/album:}
    METADATA_GENRE=${metadata/by-key/genre:}
    METADATA_DATE=${metadata/by-key/date:}
    METADATA_TRACK=${metadata/by-key/track:}
    METADATA_COPYRIGHT=${metadata/by-key/copyright:}
    INFO_MEDIA_TITLE=${=media-title:}
     --term-status-msg=STATUS: ${=time-pos} / ${=duration:${=length:0}} P: ${=pause} B: ${=paused-for-cache} I: ${=core-idle} cdda://1

Playing: cdda://1
    ++ WARN: Can't get file status for 1:
    No such file or directory
    ++ WARN: could not retrieve file info for `1': No such file or directory
    ++ WARN: can't open nrg image file 1 for reading
    [cdda] Can't open CDDA device.
    Failed to open cdda://1.
    Exiting... (Errors when loading file)

#2 2019-01-03 23:28:55

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Re: Troubles playing audio CD on SMPlayer

Maybe a red herring, but error code 2 traditionally is EACCESS, which would mean that there is a permission problem for some file, or even that some intermediate directory is missing when the program attempts to access a file. You might be able to use strace to follow up on it, or maybe there is some debug argument to start mpv with.

#3 2019-01-04 19:19:24

Ron

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

Maybe a red herring, but error code 2 traditionally is EACCESS, which would mean that there is a permission problem for some file, or even that some intermediate directory is missing when the program attempts to access a file.

I notice at the bottom of the log file it says "No such file or directory." Does that point to a missing intermediate directory?

As a test, I installed Parole Media Player, and it plays CDs just fine. Does this give a clue as to what is SMPlayer's problem? I'd just use Parole for everything (because I hate having two apps that do the same thing), but when playing videos it puts a thin green line down the side of videos, just like Totem and Mint's Xplayer used to do for me.

EDIT
I just did a web search for "debug argument to start mpv with" and didn't find anything.

Last edited by Ron (2019-01-04 19:27:40)

#4 2019-01-04 21:51:51

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Please confirm that you have a /dev/cdrom link that resolves properly to the CD device, typically /dev/sr0.

#5 2019-01-04 22:20:44

Ron

I see a cdrom file in /dev. In properties, basic tab, it says "Link target: sr0." That sounds like what you wrote (I think). However, the file size says 0 bytes, is that normal?

Last edited by Ron (2019-01-04 22:22:48)

#6 2019-01-05 00:00:57

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

With my infinite "google fu" I dredged up this comment from 2017:  (https://bugs.mageia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=20550#c5)

José Jorge 2017-04-22 21:39:55 CEST wrote:

I got it. mpv refuses cdda://1, it only works with cdda:// . It is an upstream problem to report either to smplayer or mpv if you want, to get this bug fixed.

Presumably that's still standing.

You might possibly be able to make your own patch by wrapping mpv through a script that makes any cdda://1 argument (or part of argument) be a cdda:// argument (or part of argument). Maybe mpv is a script already, and then it'd be a walk in the park. By the looks of it in the OP log, that cdda://1 is passed in to mpv rather than being invented by it. Perhaps it gets 1 from an environment variable (perhaps  media-title). Or, by increasing convolution, perhaps the 1 gets passed in via stdin, embedded in some way? A wrapper script might deal with any of those.

#7 2019-01-05 01:23:33

Ron

Thanks ralph.ronnquist. That's an interesting link. I tried the same thing the guy in the link did, switching the engine from mpv to smplayer. I got a very similar error to his. I'm not versed at all in scrips or wrapper scrips. I'll have to research it when I find the time. One question though, how do I find out if mpv is a script already, as you state is a possibility?

Also, I pasted over your quote of José Jorge to my post in the SMPlayer forum. Hopefully they'll get this fixed.

Last edited by Ron (2019-01-05 01:35:53)

#8 2019-01-05 02:32:10

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

One way is by a command:

$ file $(which mpv)

or if that says "symbolic link" you may need:

$ file $(readlink -f $(which mpv))

#9 2019-01-05 17:16:55

Ron

It says "dynamically linked." Here's the whole output:

/usr/bin/mpv: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=30938c116cf001493429a04bc7ae8241b20b56e9, stripped

I have to admit I don't have a clue what this is telling me.

Last edited by Ron (2019-01-05 17:17:48)

#10 2019-01-05 22:13:45

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Fair enough. If it was a script, file would have said so. Now it says it's an ELF executable, which is not a script.

The principle of having a wrapper script is fairly easy, but I will bail out at this point, especially since the idea itself is merely based on a hunch of the source of the problem. Ideally someone who is already using SMPlayer and/or mpv will step in and lead the way through the "morass" of scripting exercises needed to resolve this. Or provide some other, perhaps better, way to deal with it.

Or, of course, your own research and learning may well bring about a working solution. You'll probably find it worth trying, even just for the joy of learning something new.

#11 2019-01-06 00:01:55

Ron

Thanks for all the help ralph.ronnquist. My "solution" of just using Parole to play CDs is mostly okay for me. Maybe one day I'll bite the bullet and learn scripting.

Last edited by Ron (2019-01-06 00:11:30)

#12 2019-01-06 00:57:55

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

If the new package file has newer version, then it will cause uninstall of the previous version.

If it was me, I would download the .deb file rather than changing my sources list.

For Devuan ASCII you would try installing the debian 9.0 version. Of course, if it ends up in direct or indirect dependencies of systemd it will fail, and your system might be in an iffy state. An installation might also want to pull upgrades to other packages, so you should certainly trial it with --simulate first, to see what is about to happen.

Board footer