The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-10-26 17:30:40

xbcb0

Slow graphics under nouveau

So I'm trying to get gpu acceleration on devuan ceres. Graphics appear ok but it seems the cpu does most if not all of the rendering (sometimes like 50% of the cpu just scrolling a webpage with compton on).
Also tried some games and it seems the issue is persistent there too (low frames on low resolutions).

Running the open source nouveau driver (latest version on ceres) with kernel 4.18 and a Nvidia 1050.

dmesg doesn't seem to complain about anything and i've checked glxinfo and direct rendering is on.
I've also tried killing compton, no luck. Driver seems loaded.

Any ideeas?

#2 2018-10-28 02:53:22

willbprogz227

Re: Slow graphics under nouveau

Hi xbcb0,

According to this page your card (which is in the NV130 group) is still being worked on when it comes to 2D acceleration.  Again, referencing the same page, 3D stuff looks to be almost completely functional.

Unfortunately Nouveau does not work super-wonderful compared to the proprietary drivers.  You may need to install the xserver-xorg-video-nvidia driver (or one of the legacy ones if your card is older) to get the performance you desire.

Last edited by willbprogz227 (2018-10-28 05:05:16)

Blessed and forgiven in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.! smile

#3 2018-10-29 20:58:00

F_Sauce

Hello xbcb0.

Recent upgrade from Jessie to Ascii:
I have an old 550TI NVIDIA device on my work desktop; after I installed the proprietary driver, all was fine X-vise; the Nouveau driver, by the way, was initially freezing sessions very frequently previously to which.

Cheers,
Olav

#4 2018-11-23 20:21:14

cynicfm

uhh

for me nouveau driver is better than the proprietary nvidia for some cases

for example when i play diablo 3 using wine-staging via DRI_PRIME=1 (optimus nvidia gpu) i get nice FPS on legacy resolution but everything is on high whereas windows or proprietary nvidia drivers in general (i used to have them on devuan bumblebee nvidia) was heating my gpu very badly like 90-100 degrees or more was normal. the temperature was so high that i was scared my gpu's gonna burn
so i realised i get better fps and quality but in the same time the temperature of gpu becomes ridicolously high...
so i decided to ditch proprietary nvidia for open source nouveau, and so far (i bought laptop to play diablo 3) diablo 3 runs very well under nouveau.
games like path of exile for example were running great on proprietary but in the same time gpu temperature was becoming very high, id say slightly overheating...
so i decided to start a new philosphy for myself: i dont play games that are not playable under nouveau. if the game doesnt run well under nouveau it means it's crap game.
also noticed counter strike global offensive runs very badly. so no cs go for me smile and i dont feel like its a bad thing

#5 2018-11-24 16:50:20

Ogis1975
Website

cynicfm wrote:

so i decided to start a new philosphy for myself: i dont play games that are not playable under nouveau. if the game doesnt run well under nouveau it means it's crap game.

Very nice decision!

What economists call over-production is but a production that is above the purchasing power of the worker, who is reduced to poverty by capital and state.
            ----+- Peter Kropotkin -+----

Board footer