The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-18 09:42:32

Gregors
Website

[solved] No sound since uninstall of pulseaudio

Hi there!

Yesterday I removed pulseaudio from my system. Directly after that everything worked like expected. But today I don't hear anything but silence after turning on my amplifier. Alsamixergui only shows the „sound card“ of my graphics card (Nvidia something).

Has Linux changed to being Windows? Is it necessary to reboot after each fart I let go?

Yep, I'm sort of pissed off. A bit like on the day I heard that Debian switches from Sys-V-init to that piece of shit called  systemd. Since pulseaudio is from the same author I don't want to have this in my system. Well, systemd is the reason for moving to devuan. Do I have to go back to debian?! OMG ...

So, what can I do to hear my music? Rhythmbox seems to have changed a lot since Debian 7. It seems that there is no way to tell it where to output sound.

Thanks in advance!

Gregor

Last edited by Gregors (2018-08-18 12:59:09)

#2 2018-08-18 10:08:31

Geoff 42

Re: [solved] No sound since uninstall of pulseaudio

What does aplay -l report?

Geoff

#3 2018-08-18 10:15:10

Gregors
Website

Geoff 42 wrote:

What does aplay -l report?
Geoff

**** Liste der Hardware-Geräte (PLAYBACK) ****
Karte 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Sub-Geräte: 1/1
  Sub-Gerät #0: subdevice #0
Karte 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Karte 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Karte 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], Gerät 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Karte 1: Live [SB Live! 5.1 [SB0060]], Gerät 0: emu10k1 [ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback]
  Sub-Geräte: 32/32
  Sub-Gerät #1: subdevice #1
  Sub-Gerät #2: subdevice #2
  Sub-Gerät #3: subdevice #3
  Sub-Gerät #4: subdevice #4
  Sub-Gerät #5: subdevice #5
  Sub-Gerät #6: subdevice #6
  Sub-Gerät #7: subdevice #7
  Sub-Gerät #8: subdevice #8
  Sub-Gerät #9: subdevice #9
  Sub-Gerät #10: subdevice #10
  Sub-Gerät #11: subdevice #11
  Sub-Gerät #12: subdevice #12
  Sub-Gerät #13: subdevice #13
  Sub-Gerät #14: subdevice #14
  Sub-Gerät #15: subdevice #15
  Sub-Gerät #16: subdevice #16
  Sub-Gerät #17: subdevice #17
  Sub-Gerät #18: subdevice #18
  Sub-Gerät #19: subdevice #19
  Sub-Gerät #20: subdevice #20
  Sub-Gerät #21: subdevice #21
  Sub-Gerät #22: subdevice #22
  Sub-Gerät #23: subdevice #23
  Sub-Gerät #24: subdevice #24
  Sub-Gerät #25: subdevice #25
  Sub-Gerät #26: subdevice #26
  Sub-Gerät #27: subdevice #27
  Sub-Gerät #28: subdevice #28
  Sub-Gerät #29: subdevice #29
  Sub-Gerät #30: subdevice #30
  Sub-Gerät #31: subdevice #31
Karte 1: Live [SB Live! 5.1 [SB0060]], Gerät 2: emu10k1 efx [Multichannel Capture/PT Playback]
  Sub-Geräte: 8/8
  Sub-Gerät #1: subdevice #1
  Sub-Gerät #2: subdevice #2
  Sub-Gerät #3: subdevice #3
  Sub-Gerät #4: subdevice #4
  Sub-Gerät #5: subdevice #5
  Sub-Gerät #6: subdevice #6
  Sub-Gerät #7: subdevice #7
Karte 1: Live [SB Live! 5.1 [SB0060]], Gerät 3: emu10k1 [Multichannel Playback]

Regards,

Gregor

#4 2018-08-18 11:06:09

dxrobertson

It appears you have 2 sound cards? 

In a terminal, if you run alsamixer, hit F6; does the desired sound card show there?

You can use alsamixer to get the sound settings to your liking, then run alsactl store (as root) and those settings will become the default.

#5 2018-08-18 11:22:22

Gregors
Website

dxrobertson wrote:

It appears you have 2 sound cards?

Yes. Well, the first „sound card“ is the one on my graphics card (Nvidia something). The second is the „real“ sound card.

dxrobertson wrote:

In a terminal, if you run alsamixer, hit F6; does the desired sound card show there?
You can use alsamixer to get the sound settings to your liking, then run alsactl store (as root) and those settings will become the default.

That helped until the next reboot. Now I can use alsamixer and change to whatever sound card I like, there's no sound. 'alsactl restore' doesn't change that.

Well, I recall there was some OS that behaved similarly. The one that made me use Linux. Please don't tell me that everything would work if I switched back to that.

SIGH

Gregor

Last edited by Gregors (2018-08-18 11:33:20)

#6 2018-08-18 12:14:53

MiyoLinux

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#7 2018-08-18 12:21:49

Gregors
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:

See if this will help. smile

I'm not sure if it might. When I clicked the link I saw some „we value your privacy“ crap. It would be great if they'd value the mood I'm in.

Regards,

Gregor

#8 2018-08-18 12:26:47

dxrobertson

alsactl store

(NOT restore), as ROOT should remember the settings between boots.  Not sure about the 2 sound cards though, if it will remember the chosen card.

Do you get sound at all by first selecting the desired card, and then changing the various settings in alsamixer?  Make sure the volumes are up and that they are not muted ("MM" in the box at bottom of control means its muted- dont want that).  Try headphone and speaker; I have a card that always has those reversed.

Maybe you have to disable the undesired card somewhere, years ago we did that via a motherboard dip switch!  Maybe someone else can help with multiple sound cards.

#9 2018-08-18 12:32:11

Gregors
Website

dxrobertson wrote:
alsactl store

NOT restore

Yep. I used alsactl store after sound worked again.Then  I tried alsactl restore after there was no sound after rebooting.

dxrobertson wrote:

Maybe you have to disable the undesired card somewhere, years ago we did that via a motherboard dip switch!  Maybe someone else can help with multiple sound cards.

I thought dip switches are history. But I'll check that. Thanks!

Gregor

#10 2018-08-18 12:32:50

MiyoLinux

Gregors wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

I'm not sure if it might. When I clicked the link I saw some „we value your privacy“ crap. It would be great if they'd value the mood I'm in.

Regards,

Gregor

Okay. You are in quite a mood, aren't you? I've never seen a message like you described there, and I'm not even running an adblocker right now.

Here, I will copy and paste the instructions...many thanks to mlsmith for supplying this on the MiyoLinux Wiki. It has worked for me everytime when having more than one sound card.

Multiple Sound Cards

Can't hear sound? Is the sound icon missing in the bottom panel? You likely have more than one sound card and ALSA chose the wrong one at boot. To correct this, you could create a .asoundrc file in your home directory specifying the default card. Unfortunately, Firefox does not read this file so you would continue to have no sound in Firefox. To remedy this, you will need to specify via modprobe in which order to load sound drivers so that your prefered card is selected first by ALSA.

First, run the following command to see which order ALSA assigned your cards:

cat /proc/asound/cards

In my case I got:

0 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel HDMI
HDA Intel HDMI at 0xe0510000 irq 61
1 [PCH ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
HDA Intel PCH at 0xe0514000 irq 59

Now, tell the kernel to load the intel driver with 1 as the default:

sudo bash -c 'echo "options snd_hda_intel index=1,0" > /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf'

You can verify the driver name to use above by running

lsmod | grep snd

Reboot the computer and you should have sound!

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#11 2018-08-18 12:42:07

Gregors
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:
Gregors wrote:
MiyoLinux wrote:

Okay. You are in quite a mood, aren't you? I've never seen a message like you described there, and I'm not even running an adblocker right now.

You guess right :-) Maybe you don't see such pop-ups because you accept every cookie you're offered. I don't like this kind of cookies. This is why I don't surf sites that offer them.

MiyoLinux wrote:

Here, I will copy and paste the instructions...

Thanks a lot!

Gregor

#12 2018-08-18 12:47:11

MiyoLinux

Gregors wrote:

You guess right :-) Maybe you don't see such pop-ups because you accept every cookie you're offered. I don't like this kind of cookies. This is why I don't surf sites that offer them.

Thanks a lot!

Gregor

No...I'm just a boring user. Only visit 3 or 4 sites regularly. Periodically slip into the dark-side and visit one or two more. tongue

#13 2018-08-18 12:53:13

Gregors
Website

MiyoLinux wrote:
Gregors wrote:

... Maybe you don't see such pop-ups because you accept every cookie you're offered. I don't like this kind of cookies. This is why I don't surf sites that offer them. ...

No...I'm just a boring user. Only visit 3 or 4 sites regularly. Periodically slip into the dark-side and visit one or two more. tongue

I can make a screen shot if you like :-) I guess SF has a new owner that wants to annoy people like me. Who cares.

BTW: Your hint helped. Thanks a lot!

Gregor

Board footer