The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-12 18:43:29

Magnus
Website

Problems with some apps on Gnome, on Wayland, on Devuan Ceres.

I have problems with a recent installation of Gnome, on Wayland, on Devuan Ceres.

When I use Wayland, some applications cannot be started. They show up in the system monitor but is says they are sleeping, and they are not visible on the screen.

Gnomes applications generally work. But Thunderbird, Firefox-ESR, Geeqie and some others do not work. On the other hand, Firefox 121, Calibre, Zim and a few others work.

I can start Thunderbird and Firefox-ESR with the prefix MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1. I have tried some different suggestions (with the other not working applications) I found on the web such as the prefix GDK_BAKEND=x11 without success.

I run one installation with these problems since a couple of weeks. Then I have tried to make two completely fresh installations on completely empty partitions on two different computers. One with Intel Tiger Lake and an old one with Intel Pentium T2370 processor and Intel GMA X3100 graphics. It is the same error on all even with a completely fresh install without custom settings and without old dot files.

On Tiger Lake I have only tested kernel 6.6.11 and 6.6.13. On the old computer also 5.10.

There is no message whatsoever if I start the not working applications from the terminal. I can't solve the problem and would be happy for a bit of advice. On Xorg there are no problems at all.

Last edited by Magnus (2024-02-12 18:46:39)

#2 2024-02-13 00:24:29

GlennW

Re: Problems with some apps on Gnome, on Wayland, on Devuan Ceres.

This may not be what you are looking for, but...

Devuan has xfce4 by default, and kde/plasma with x11 works.

I have used gnome apps before (a long, long time ago) and found

openbox with xorg (x11) I was able to install apps from gnome and kde and it worked no probs on a very old laptop.

Just my 2cents worth.

I hope you figure it out.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

#3 2024-02-13 07:43:23

Magnus
Website

Thank you for your response. I was using KDE in Wayland on Devuan Ceres for three years before I wanted to test the evolution of Gnome a couple of weeks ago. Now I like Gnome.
In the KDE environment in Wayland, there were no problems with the applications that now fail in Gnome. So it should be something Gnome related that makes it not work.
The big problem for me is that I can't troubleshoot because the terminal shows nothing when I start applications from it. So I don't have a clue where the error could be. And the logs don't show anything either.

#4 2024-02-13 11:44:05

GlennW

well, I hope an expert responds soon. all the best.

pic from 1993, new guitar day.

Board footer