The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-22 17:26:20

PsySc0rpi0n

Archive is cpio archive. Decompression error.

Hello.

Following this thread, I started a new one because the other one was already quite old
https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=2952

This is my scenario:
I created a qcow image file and burn Debian Bookworm there. Then I boot it and installed everything I needed there and then I tried to use refractasnapshot to buil an ISO I could take in a pen to my work.

However, at some point I get this error:

"Archive is cpio archive."

And in the logs I could see something relate to intel-microcode and also [ 0 -ne 2 ].

I decided to try to uninstall this package "intel-microcode" and repeat the process. This time there was no decompression error.

So, what is wrong with "intel-microcode"? Is there a workaround?

Last edited by PsySc0rpi0n (2024-01-22 17:49:50)

#2 2024-01-22 22:40:43

nixer

Re: Archive is cpio archive. Decompression error.

To my knowledge, it is a bug and it has not been identified and fixed.  I see it rarely, but I do see it on certain installs - and I can not tell what I do to create it.  On those systems that do have this bug, I always remember to remove the intel-microcode package before making the snapshot.iso file.  Then I install it later.  In other words, only shows in certain installs and I do not know why, yet.  Yes, it is a hassle, but a small inconvenience in my humble opinion.

fsr may chime in and give an update and/or explanation.

#3 2024-01-22 22:53:11

Altoid

Re: Archive is cpio archive. Decompression error.

Hello:

nixer wrote:

... it is a bug and it has not been identified and fixed.
... see it rarely, but I do see it on certain installs - and I can not tell what I do to create it.

For what it is worth, I have been told that this type of 'bug' is referred to as Heisenbug.
ie: a sporadic and non-reproducible bug

Real fun to work on.  8^°

Best,

A.

Board footer