The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-14 23:54:14

recklessswing

Can't watch videos over ftp with mpv, using KDE but it worked on XFCE?

As I say I recently installed KDE. I watched movies from my local FTP server. On XFCE with MPV it worked. With KDE it doesn't work.

#2 2023-12-15 04:34:10

steve_v

Re: Can't watch videos over ftp with mpv, using KDE but it worked on XFCE?

At a guess (haven't used XFCE in a while), thunar uses GVFS/FUSE user mounts for FTP or copies the file to a temporary directory, so there's a real filesystem path MPV understands. Dolphin (and the rest of KDE) uses KIO for transparent FTP, which only works with applications that understand KIO URIs.
With so little detail provided, a guess is the best you're likely to get.

The bigger question might be why you're using FTP to stream from a local server to begin with, when things like NFS and SMB (or even SSHFS) exist... Or if you must use FTP, why it's not set up as an FTPFS mount. curlftpfs removed as of bookworm, reasons unknown roll
FTP is designed for contiguous file transfers over the internet (or dialup BBS), not the kind of random-access one expects directly accessing files (i.e. NAS-style) on a local fileserver.

Last edited by steve_v (2023-12-15 04:53:15)

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#3 2023-12-16 11:52:20

PedroReina
Website

Re: Can't watch videos over ftp with mpv, using KDE but it worked on XFCE?

steve_v wrote:

The bigger question might be why you're using FTP to stream from a local server to begin with, when things like NFS and SMB (or even SSHFS) exist...

Understanding that the OP could need/want some different, I would add to the range of posible solutions setting up a DLNA server:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U … nd_clients

Board footer