The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-07 15:37:48

mclien

How to fool yourself

well. slightly related but not in technical sense.

I just updated my little homeserver (remotely) to the last versions of chimaera. After the full-upgrade I did a reboot to have it run with the new kernel and opened a ping to the server to see when it is back online.

Well. It didn't. I have (learned years ago) a monitor and keyboard attached to it. So I got there.

Guess what? Remind yourself that, if full disc encryption in place, you "might" have to type your passphrase to get the system running.... (yeah had 2 very long days before that at work).

#2 2023-12-08 02:53:47

steve_v

Re: How to fool yourself

mclien wrote:

I have (learned years ago) a monitor and keyboard attached to it.
Remind yourself that, if full disc encryption in place, you "might" have to type your passphrase to get the system running.

Which is why real server motherboards come with a serial console that works right from POST and/or IPMI as standard.

Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

#3 2023-12-09 10:31:04

mclien

Re: How to fool yourself

steve_v wrote:

Which is why real server motherboards come with a serial console that works right from POST and/or IPMI as standard.

Which still don't solve the problem, which is me forgetting to look at that console....
(remotely over ssh means next room n this case)

Board footer