The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-03 17:07:49

andyp67

secure memory wiper

Package secure-delete
According to the man page for sdmem (secure memory wiper,) from Peter Gutmann who is the man, "new SDRAMs, data will not wither away but will be kept static".
New SDRAM is DDR3.
Modern laptop has built-in battery.
run, sdrem -f -ll -v
on a 2 gig dual-core with 16 gig memory takes less than 30 seconds.
Surely memory wiping is not unhealthy.
In another console, tail -f /var/log/syslog to see what's happening.

Last edited by andyp67 (2023-12-03 17:09:33)

#2 2023-12-04 21:41:36

nahkhiirmees

Re: secure memory wiper

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutmann_method#Criticism not fully convinced that Guttman's method has additional value over DoD's 7-times-wipe.

And if you don't trust DoD's method, there's always a sledgehammer and gas-welding-equipment. Much quicker than Guttmann, at least.

#3 2023-12-05 15:59:38

andyp67

I do on the interweb pretty much what I did before the interweb; go shopping, go to the library, post mail, enjoy entertainment, etc.
I have hobbies & interests and such forums are most wonderfully helpful.
I don't care for social media, tell em nowt.

If I was up to something, good or bad is irrelevant, that warranted black ops through the windows, a small bottle of powerful acid would be quite useful to destroy memory chips, if I was in my container and black ops had managed to successfully breach my container my primary concern would be the best self defense which is to attack.

The vast majority of people are under the illusion that a computer is a perfect electronic device, black & white, whereas the truth of the matter is creations are mechanical; hardware software same thing; your aircraft is redundant obsolete; expensive.

My motivation to clean something is that is an actual physical benefit, as for privacy certainly one round of zeros is better than a cat lick and eight rounds would be quite expensive even for NASA.

I think that China leads in computer engineering but that does not mean that they lead in reconnaissance/surveillance.
Of course GCHQ does the full take, that is part of their job.
If you are British and you are in Britain and you are working for a Chinese computer company and you are doing R&D with the best silicon technology and nanotechnology doctors on the planet, apart from learning stuff, this access requires ink on paper at the very very very highest echelons of power in China.
Putting a small BIOS chip into a machine about as big as a photocopier, flashing the BIOS down the pipe from China, and then changing the chip on the board in a flash, using tweezers and hot air down a straw, best done very slowly mind, no need to heat stress the board.
I think security services would find unpacking that package and associated software problematic.

These days I am not in the field with film & chemicals & faxmille scanner & satellite dish; a piece of crap telephone doesn't cost 50,000 bucks.
If I send words or pictures ( I am a veteran reporter & photojournalist,) I encrypt blowfish seven characters is sufficient.
If far sighted and responsible people at NASA choose to lift my material that's fine by me as I know they value my art.
As for thieving multi-nationals their primary concern is not that publishing a photo can get one killed.
Android app 552k jackpal Android Terminal Emulator to tarball, & 670k CrptIt 1.4 (theinsanetechie dot in) to blowfish encrypt.
There are file manager apps that encrypt, I'm sticking with blowfish thankyou.

Is Chitty chitty bang bang superkalafragilisticexpealedoshious spelt doshious or dotious.
It's spelt with a k, I was thinking in Greek.

Can we put sdmem -f -ll -v in a script in a low init level that will function at shutdown -h now, and three fingered salute.

#4 2023-12-05 19:07:36

andyp67

How many angels can you fit on a pin head.
How many radios can you fit on a pin head.
Data can be lifted at the computer booting sequence, certainly at executing BIOS, rather easily if the box is running on mains.
Shortwave transmission is the money.
You need to be running on batteries in a faraday cage with holes smaller than the wavelength of the incident wave!
This being computers, there's always more ways than one to skin a cat, off the top of my head, many ways, jamming and interference.
A security services facility should not be running on mains, that is a planetary existential risk.

#5 2023-12-05 19:27:12

andyp67

Please put your two penneth in, everybody has something interesting and useful to add.
euhapistw thank you

Board footer