The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-09 02:12:33

nahkhiirmees

[SOLVED] Fujitsu Lifebook U728+chimaera+Virtualbox can't enumerate usb devices

The essential parts of the problem are in the subject.
Almost 4 months ago i installed virtualbox 7 by adding "deb [arch=amd64 signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/oracle-virtualbox-2016.gpg] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian bullseye contrib" . Also installed then-current extension pack from virtualbox.org . /sbin/vboxconfig and update-initramfs also done. Vbox found memory stick allright. Back in the day when my "new" desktop was still working.

(Maybe installing version 6.x would have been a better idea, i think.)

Now i had to start using Fujitsu. Copied partitions into ssd from hdd by using dd.
I have done that "/sbin/vboxconfig"  -trick again. Also update-initramfs and update-grub. Still, with Fujitsu, vbox can't enumerate usb devices. And inside vm i cannot find the attached memorystick. Lsusb cannot find it, nor can cat /proc/partitions.

Any ideas what to try next?

I have recently run apt-get upgrade -u and downloaded also the most recent version of extension pack for installing. Will install the new one soon.
How about users and groups? Should the normal_user belong to some group in order to be able to use usb-devices?

Last edited by nahkhiirmees (2023-11-09 20:46:57)

#2 2023-11-09 07:19:41

rolfie

Re: [SOLVED] Fujitsu Lifebook U728+chimaera+Virtualbox can't enumerate usb devices

nahkhiirmees wrote:

How about users and groups? Should the normal_user belong to some group in order to be able to use usb-devices?

Yes. The user needs to be in the vboxusers group. This normally is established during installation of the main package.

And attention to the extension package. Its version has to match the main packages version.

#3 2023-11-09 20:45:45

nahkhiirmees

Re: [SOLVED] Fujitsu Lifebook U728+chimaera+Virtualbox can't enumerate usb devices

Complaints about usb enumeration went away after upgrading the extpack. Tried the vm once, it was a bit slow to notice, but finally cat /proc/partitions showed /dev/disk/by-uuid/usb-stick.

Board footer