The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-10-13 22:11:12

greenjeans
Website

Installed Daedalus!

Hey y'all!

Got around to installing the new Devuan last night, first Devuan i've used since the first one (Jessie), yep i've been rolling with the first edition (as VUU-do) since 2017. I think that speaks volumes about the stability and longevity of this distro.

Excellent work guys, runs fine except for momentary weird video glitches during bootup and shutdown. This thing is HUGE, to me at least, first time in many years i've run a distro that big!

Installer is VERY complete, lol, a tad lengthy too. So let me here just re-iterate my undying respect and admiration for Refracta-installer which is what i'm used to using!  Installed the MATE version on sda1 of my machine and grub to the MBR and it went very smoothly, recognized my other two Devuan partitions and existing swap just fine.

One issue: I was sorry to see my favorite music player Exaile wasn't in the repo, no biggie I went and downloaded a package, but when I tried to install it via dpkg, it refused to let me do so for some reason ( and I forgot to copy the reason it gave, dangit, it was late and I was wiped out). Hopefully I can figure that out, but would like to request it as a package for Devuan, great little player.

So thanks again to all the people who work hard on making my favorite distro, just moved and broke as hell, lol, but let me get another paycheck under my belt and i'll be sending a donation!

Cheers!
~texpat

Last edited by greenjeans (2023-10-13 22:11:59)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#2 2023-10-13 22:57:55

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Installed Daedalus!

If dpkg gives you error messages about missing dependencies, just run apt -f install with no package listed, and it will install the deps if they are in the repo.

#3 2023-10-14 14:31:16

greenjeans
Website

Well I looked at it again this morning after a couple cups of coffee, it was complaining that it couldn't find a couple of items in the PATH, so had to add a line in .bashrc

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

Then dpkg worked fine, got Exaile installed, but wouldn't start from menu, tried in terminal and got this:

ERROR   : Unhandled exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/exaile/xl/main.py", line 551, in __init__
    self.mainloop_init()
  File "/usr/lib/exaile/xl/main.py", line 866, in mainloop_init
    import dbus
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'dbus'

Which is perplexing, dbus is installed, maybe some python/dbus library i'm missing?

Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

#4 2023-10-14 15:22:15

rolfie

I guess you may have to look into the difference between using su and su - for getting root access. This is a feature that was inherited from Debian a while ago.

You may need to use su -.

#5 2023-11-12 21:11:08

J8888

Hello. Not trying to hijack, nor create a new duplicate type thread. Congrats to the OP on the install.

I am a recovering Windows 7 user that switched to Devuan Chimaera when it was released and have been running it up till now as my daily driver. I am anti Micro$oft/anti-abuse. I distro hopped many years ago before SystemDevil was a thing, but gave up after experimenting for a while. I am not a CLI warrior, and only use what I read online when stuff breaks. I am no sys-admin, so things get hairy when stuff breaks, as I refuse to go back to M$. I tried out Devuan Daedalus for my host OS after printing went out for some reason. I am going back to Chimaera as I need to get on with my life. I do not have enough skill and time to deal with the following (from most important to least important):

1. I am not good at using Wine so I use PlayOnLinux as I was able to get it to work to use programs I have been using for 15ish years that I need. I do see that PlayOnLinux is available in the current repositories, but for some reason I can not get it to work. My guess from reading online is some dependency was "upgraded" and now it does not work. Too bad it is not current, and I tried other stuff, but this works easiest for me, and I am "blasphemously" committed to Easy & GUI™ as much as possible for my computer, and a family member's that I also converted to Devuan, and anyone else I attempt to help. (Where is EasyGUI Linux, a Devuan derivative, anyway? If I become a billionaire, lol, I will make it.) This makes Daedalus an absolute no-go for me as my daily host OS.

2. My laptop CMOS battery failed, messing up my computer's time, and I have been spending a lot of time trying to get the system time to match my BIOS/RTC/hardware clock since this also messed up. I did find out that the "sbin" folder where the "util-linux" commands are is not in the $Path for some reason (I also was forced to learn that This Is A Thing™, as I guess this is what happens when people like me beat their heads against tech problems that they are forced to attempt to learn). I was able to get "hwclock" to run only with sudo in that folder. However the command I read that sets the system time to hardware time "hwclock -s, –hctosys" does not work, so I ran "hwclock" by itself and see that the BIOS clock is not read properly, and thus my system is set off this "false hwclock time". I am going to "reinstall" Chimaera from a clone backup anyhow (or reinstall everything if I have to), and I do not have time to tinker further so screw it for now.

3. This may not be a Devuan thing, but I will mention it here if it helps anything: I always choose Cinnamon and then install a Windows 7 theme. When I try to access the date settings in the GUI, and change time settings nothing ever stuck under Chimaera, and still does not under Daedalus.

4. I always use Appimages as much as possible, and I encourage developers to auto setup /home/user with an "Applications" folder and have https://github.com/probonopd/go-appimage "installed" by default so they just work for people that this may benefit. Just a suggestion for the EasyGUI Linux cause. Not too big of a deal because this is pretty easy for lowly GUI people like me to do ourselves. But there are even some people that are more Newbish than me struggling to use Linux as an escape. For application makers/programmers who may read this, pretty please put your program into an appimage. There is some good stuff you guys/gals make that EasyGUI Linux wannabes do not use because they can not install it.

5. I have recently come to appreciate/realize that the SystemDevil issue includes problematic online "help" for us GUI Peons (bash-copy-paste-monkeys) containing SystemDevil specific commands that do not work on Devuan. These CLI commands are a no-go. This is a problem trying to fix stuff. I do not know if there is some sort of preferred-good-way to find equivalent Devuan compatible commands for these now common SystemDevil commands.

Thanks for all the work done to cut the SystemDevil spawns out of Daedalus as much as possible! Blessings to you! Maybe us PlayOnLinux folks can get it to work later as an host OS if we have time/energy/whatever. I myself need my laptop as the tool it is right now. I did install it in some of my virtual machines through AQemu, so that is nice.

I encourage people to donate to the cause.

" Microsoft: currently controls systemD      Apple: Controls CUPS, the GNU Linux printing system.
Facebook: Controls the ZSTD compression system      IBM: Controls the development of Gnome and ... the GTK libraries.      Amazon: Amazon Linux and cloud infrastructure.      Google: Among other critical parts ... develops the EXT-4 file system. " - Alessandro Ebersol     [& let's not forget Red Hat]

#6 2023-11-13 16:02:58

greenjeans
Website

+1 with regard to PlayonLinux, used it back in the day on Devuan 1 to play Diablo 2, worked great, even had an old school LAN party with wife and a couple of friends, total blast!

#7 2023-11-13 21:40:38

oui

Hi

J8888 wrote:

4. I always use Appimages as much as possible, and I encourage developers to auto setup /home/user with an "Applications" folder and have https://github.com/probonopd/go-appimage "installed" by default so they just work for people that this may benefit. Just a suggestion for the EasyGUI Linux cause. Not too big of a deal because this is pretty easy for lowly GUI people like me to do ourselves. But there are even some people that are more Newbish than me struggling to use Linux as an escape. For application makers/programmers who may read this, pretty please put your program into an appimage. There is some good stuff you guys/gals make that EasyGUI Linux wannabes do not use because they can not install it.

come pls back to the hearth and learn again to use the "poor" CLI tools of Debian especially «apt»!

and I can't understand why continue to speech about openbox requiring a lot of settings and programming activity instead of JWM coming totally finished as far you install and use, of course, «menu» from Debian. Poor people did abandon the attachment to «menu» in their new version: it is simple - I refuse to use their software and in the most situations, it is possible.

Board footer