The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2023-08-17 11:14:14

sonichy

Do not install LibreOffice in Desktop Live

To reduce live ISO size.
I do not need LibreOffice, I have to remove them.

#2 2023-08-23 11:57:37

czeekaj

Re: Do not install LibreOffice in Desktop Live

yeah. This is true. You also can't just remove it with a simple apt purge libreoffice.
Start with minimal iso maybe and build a snapshot.

Either way it takes some time.

#3 2023-11-13 23:02:20

oui

czeekaj wrote:

yeah. This is true. You also can't just remove it with a simple apt purge libreoffice.
Start with minimal iso maybe and build a snapshot.

I agree, start with minimal (netinstall until tasksel > uncomment at the top of tasksel but preserve the foot options > continue the installation)

restart + apt update + install xorg + menu + jwm + refractatools bases + gparted + synaptic (perhaps, if you hate the use of only apt)

restart + make you initial snapshot and nurse it later!

restart + install all the other stuff you want (the actual management of dependencies is good; you can try a "cascade line" of apt with all the rest as you only expect a dektop live!

Either way it takes some time.

you will wonder! with your nursed "initial snapshot" the time consumption is to see as "short"!

Note:

You will spare a lot of time if you don't install some new Grub PC with each installation!!! How to avoid it: really easy! Reinstalling with refractainstaller from the nursed "initial snapshot" and only add the needing lines in /etc/grub.d/40_custom from the unique version of Linux that you install with grub ;-) ... Enjoy!

Last edited by oui (2023-11-13 23:06:24)

#4 2023-11-14 00:19:43

fsmithred
Administrator

As others suggested, start with a minimal install and add what you want. If you exclude Recommends and avoid metapackages like the task-* packages, you will have a better time removing any parts you don't want. That's how I make Refracta isos https://get.refracta.org. I'm pretty sure Exe GNU/linux is also made that way (with Trinity Desktop) and some of the other devuan re-spin distros are lighter than the full task-* experience.

$ apt show task-xfce-desktop
Package: task-xfce-desktop
Version: 3.68+devuan4u1
Priority: optional
Section: tasks
Source: tasksel
Origin: Devuan
Maintainer: Devuan Dev Team <devuan-dev@lists.dyne.org>
Installed-Size: 9,216 B
Depends: tasksel (= 3.68+devuan4u1), task-desktop, xfce4, slim | lightdm
Recommends: xfce4-goodies, xfce4-power-manager, xfce4-terminal, mousepad, default-dbus-session-bus | dbus-session-bus, xsane, parole, quodlibet, atril, tango-icon-theme, network-manager-gnome | connman-gtk | cmst, synaptic, libreoffice-writer, libreoffice-calc, libreoffice-impress, libreoffice-help-en-us, mythes-en-us, hunspell-en-us, hyphen-en-us, system-config-printer, orca, libreoffice-gtk3
Download-Size: 1,308 B
APT-Sources: http://deb.devuan.org/merged chimaera/main amd64 Packages
Description: Xfce

#5 2023-11-14 18:07:54

oui

yes, it is very true.

In the past I did "jump over tasksel" (= unvalide all options) but the way with the justCLI born so is really hart until all works as you want, depending of what you want, of course.

and it is not a good idea to exclude all recommends etc. immediately. justX needs better a good installation for major system inner parts and tools (Xorg, your prefered WM and later your prefered DM, grub in one of your installation starting as the same multiboot, gparted, synaptic if you expect to have full profit of then. Idem refracta tools and dependencies. "nurse" after that your own «justCLI» or «justX Ceres) and remove only after that some permissions! If not, you will create own version being difficult to make complete enough and stable...

Board footer