The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-06 08:19:57

tompravi
Member
Registered: 2017-05-06
Posts: 7  

Shutdown and root passsword

Hi,
When I try to shutdown the system asks the root password.
How could I avoid this?


Proud of Using Devuan !!!

Offline

#2 2017-05-06 10:52:00

fsmithred
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 1,598  

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

You'll get that if root is logged in on console or in a root terminal or if you're running some app as root.

Offline

#3 2017-05-06 11:53:42

tompravi
Member
Registered: 2017-05-06
Posts: 7  

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

Thank you for your response.
Is there any solution of this issue?


Proud of Using Devuan !!!

Offline

#4 2017-05-06 19:41:29

greenjeans
Member
Registered: 2017-04-07
Posts: 426  
Website

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

Possibly in /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.consolekit.policy, change "auth_admin_keep" to "yes" where appropriate, not sure this is the best way or recommended way but I imagine it will work:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE policyconfig PUBLIC
 "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Policy Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/PolicyKit/1.0/policyconfig.dtd">

<!--
Policy definitions for ConsoleKit
-->

<policyconfig>

  <action id="org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop">
    <description>Stop the system</description>
    <message>System policy prevents stopping the system</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
    </defaults>
  </action>

  <action id="org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop-multiple-users">
    <description>Stop the system when multiple users are logged in</description>
    <message>System policy prevents stopping the system when other users are logged in</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>
    </defaults>
  </action>

  <action id="org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart">
    <description>Restart the system</description>
    <message>System policy prevents restarting the system</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
    </defaults>
  </action>

  <action id="org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart-multiple-users">
    <description>Restart the system when multiple users are logged in</description>
    <message>System policy prevents restarting the system when other users are logged in</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>
    </defaults>
  </action>

</policyconfig>

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal 64 and 32 bit Devuan-based openbox and mate systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

Offline

#5 2017-05-11 22:29:05

msi
Member
Registered: 2017-02-04
Posts: 128  

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

tompravi wrote:

Hi,
When I try to shutdown the system asks the root password.
How could I avoid this?

How are you trying to shut down? If you're working in a graphical environment, a reasonable login manager should solve the problem since it would normally be running with root privileges.

Alternatively, if you have sudo installed, you can also set up a rule in /etc/sudoers or create your own file in /etc/sudoers.d/ (which is probably the better way) and then use

sudo shutdown -h

You can configure sudo not to ask for your password, too.

But make sure you use visudo to edit the file and get a basic understanding of what's going on in /etc/sudoers if you don't know that already.

Last edited by msi (2017-05-11 23:33:30)

Offline

#6 2017-05-29 02:01:38

zapper
Member
Registered: 2017-05-29
Posts: 60  

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

KShutdown works well for shutting down the system even in devuan ascii.

its the only app from the devuan repo which works for me in ascii for shutting down system. wink

Offline

#7 2017-05-29 19:15:53

smoki
Member
Registered: 2017-05-15
Posts: 56  

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

With ck on Devuan 1.0, as a user proper commandline should be:

Shutdown:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit" /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop

Reboot:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit" /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Restart

No additional dependencies again, for those who like smile

I don't use Suspend/Hibernate but these should go with UPower, so something like...

Suspend:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend

Hibernate:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Hibernate

Last edited by smoki (2017-05-29 19:46:33)

Offline

#8 2017-05-30 00:30:50

pekman
Member
From: /usr/bin/pekman
Registered: 2017-05-11
Posts: 58  

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

smoki wrote:

With ck on Devuan 1.0, as a user proper commandline should be:

Shutdown:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit" /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Stop

Reboot:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit" /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit/Manager org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Restart

No additional dependencies again, for those who like smile

I don't use Suspend/Hibernate but these should go with UPower, so something like...

Suspend:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Suspend

Hibernate:

dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest="org.freedesktop.UPower" /org/freedesktop/UPower org.freedesktop.UPower.Hibernate

Nice explanation. But, need to install the polkit package.

Offline

#9 2017-05-30 01:19:53

smoki
Member
Registered: 2017-05-15
Posts: 56  

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

pekman wrote:

Nice explanation. But, need to install the polkit package.

I tought policykit-1 is installed by default big_smile

Yes, Restart/Shutdown commands require 'policykit-1' package to be installed, Suspend/Hibernate require 'upower' package also.

Thinked of as zapper mentioned KShutdown that GUI require a lot of packages/deps, there is also i think 'obsession' gtk2 app can do this also... but if someone like OP mentioned don't use/want a GUI that is it smile

Last edited by smoki (2017-05-30 02:13:55)

Offline

#10 2017-05-31 14:56:46

Nili
Member
From: $HOME/♫♪
Registered: 2016-12-01
Posts: 107  
Website

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

Topic interesting this one. I thought to try kshutdown on my minimal setup.
WOW just Cool! I didn't imagine that would bring so many goddess smile

Edit: Oh just i see now this is a KDE tool right? Isn't for me anyway...

nili ~ $ sudo apt-get install -s kshutdown
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  aspell aspell-en dbus-x11 dictionaries-common docbook-xml docbook-xsl emacsen-common fonts-freefont-ttf gnupg-agent gnupg2 iso-codes
  kate-data katepart kde-runtime kde-runtime-data kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins kdoctools liba52-0.7.4 libaa1 libaspell15
  libassuan0 libattica0.4 libaudio2 libavc1394-0 libbasicusageenvironment0 libcanberra0 libcddb2 libchromaprint0 libclucene-core1
  libcrystalhd3 libdbusmenu-qt2 libdca0 libdirectfb-1.2-9 libdlrestrictions1 libdvbpsi9 libebml4 libenchant1c2a libexiv2-13 libfaad2
  libfam0 libfreerdp-cache1.1 libfreerdp-client1.1 libfreerdp-codec1.1 libfreerdp-common1.1.0 libfreerdp-core1.1 libfreerdp-crypto1.1
  libfreerdp-gdi1.1 libfreerdp-locale1.1 libfreerdp-primitives1.1 libfreerdp-rail1.1 libfreerdp-utils1.1 libgles1-mesa libgles2-mesa
  libgpgme++2 libgpgme11 libgpm2 libgroupsock1 libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 libgstreamer1.0-0 libhunspell-1.3-0 libilmbase6 libiodbc2
  libiso9660-8 libkactivities6 libkate1 libkatepartinterfaces4 libkcmutils4 libkde3support4 libkdeclarative5 libkdecore5 libkdesu5
  libkdeui5 libkdewebkit5 libkdnssd4 libkemoticons4 libkfile4 libkhtml5 libkidletime4 libkio5 libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4 libkmediaplayer4
  libknewstuff3-4 libknotifyconfig4 libkntlm4 libkparts4 libkprintutils4 libkpty4 libkrosscore4 libksba8 libktexteditor4 libkutils4
  libkxmlrpcclient4 libldb1 liblivemedia23 libltdl7 libmad0 libmatroska6 libmhash2 libmng1 libmodplug1 libmpcdec6 libmpeg2-4 libnepomuk4
  libnepomukquery4a libnepomukutils4 libnl-3-200 libnl-route-3-200 libntdb1 libntrack-qt4-1 libntrack0 libopenexr6 libphonon4 libplasma3
  libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0 libpolkit-qt-1-1 libpostproc52 libproxy-tools libproxy1 libpth20 libpulse-mainloop-glib0
  libpython2.7 libqca2 libqt4-dbus libqt4-declarative libqt4-designer libqt4-network libqt4-opengl libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script
  libqt4-sql libqt4-svg libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtcore4 libqtdbus4 libqtgui4 libqtwebkit4 libraptor2-0 librasqal3 librdf0
  libresid-builder0c2a libsdl-image1.2 libsdl1.2debian libshine3 libshout3 libsidplay2 libsmbclient libsolid4 libsoprano4 libspeexdsp1
  libssh-gcrypt-4 libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libsysfs2 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a libtalloc2 libtdb1 libtevent0 libthreadweaver4
  libtwolame0 libupnp6 libusageenvironment1 libutempter0 libva-drm1 libvcdinfo0 libvlc5 libvlccore8 libvncclient0 libvorbisfile3
  libwbclient0 libwebp5 libwinpr-crt0.1 libwinpr-crypto0.1 libwinpr-dsparse0.1 libwinpr-environment0.1 libwinpr-file0.1 libwinpr-handle0.1
  libwinpr-heap0.1 libwinpr-input0.1 libwinpr-interlocked0.1 libwinpr-library0.1 libwinpr-path0.1 libwinpr-pool0.1 libwinpr-registry0.1
  libwinpr-rpc0.1 libwinpr-sspi0.1 libwinpr-synch0.1 libwinpr-sysinfo0.1 libwinpr-thread0.1 libwinpr-utils0.1 libxcb-composite0
  libxcb-keysyms1 libxcb-randr0 libxcb-xv0 libxml2-utils libxslt1.1 libyajl2 libzvbi-common libzvbi0 ntrack-module-libnl-0
  oxygen-icon-theme phonon phonon-backend-vlc pinentry-gtk2 plasma-scriptengine-javascript python-talloc qdbus qtchooser qtcore4-l10n
  samba-libs sgml-base sgml-data soprano-daemon vlc vlc-data vlc-nox vlc-plugin-pulse xdg-utils xml-core
Suggested packages:
  aspell-doc spellutils wordlist docbook docbook-dsssl docbook-defguide dbtoepub docbook-xsl-doc-html docbook-xsl-doc-pdf
  docbook-xsl-doc-text docbook-xsl-doc docbook-xsl-saxon fop libsaxon-java libxalan2-java libxslthl-java xalan gnupg-doc parcimonie
  xloadimage isoquery djvulibre-bin finger icoutils libcanberra-pulse sound-theme-freedesktop nas libcanberra-gtk0 libchromaprint-tools
  python-acoustid firmware-crystalhd libenchant-voikko exiv2 fam freerdp-x11 gpgsm gpm libvisual-0.4-plugins gstreamer-codec-install
  gnome-codec-install gstreamer1.0-tools iodbc hspell libqca2-plugin-cyrus-sasl libqca2-plugin-gnupg libqca2-plugin-ossl
  libqt4-declarative-folderlistmodel libqt4-declarative-gestures libqt4-declarative-particles libqt4-declarative-shaders qt4-qmlviewer
  libqt4-dev libicu52 qt4-qtconfig raptor2-utils rasqal-utils librdf-storage-postgresql librdf-storage-mysql librdf-storage-sqlite
  librdf-storage-virtuoso redland-utils media-player-info phonon-backend-gstreamer phonon-backend-mplayer pinentry-doc sgml-base-doc
  perlsgml w3-recs opensp virtuoso-minimal videolan-doc libdvdcss2 gvfs-bin debhelper
Recommended packages:
  fonts-dejavu enchant gstreamer1.0-plugins-base hunspell-en-us hunspell-dictionary myspell-dictionary libkactivities-bin libqt4-sql-mysql
  libqt4-sql-odbc libqt4-sql-psql libqt4-sql-sqlite libqt4-sql-sqlite2 libqt4-sql-ibase udisks2 upower vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-samba
  libfile-mimeinfo-perl libnet-dbus-perl libx11-protocol-perl x11-utils
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  aspell aspell-en dbus-x11 dictionaries-common docbook-xml docbook-xsl emacsen-common fonts-freefont-ttf gnupg-agent gnupg2 iso-codes
  kate-data katepart kde-runtime kde-runtime-data kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins kdoctools kshutdown liba52-0.7.4 libaa1
  libaspell15 libassuan0 libattica0.4 libaudio2 libavc1394-0 libbasicusageenvironment0 libcanberra0 libcddb2 libchromaprint0
  libclucene-core1 libcrystalhd3 libdbusmenu-qt2 libdca0 libdirectfb-1.2-9 libdlrestrictions1 libdvbpsi9 libebml4 libenchant1c2a
  libexiv2-13 libfaad2 libfam0 libfreerdp-cache1.1 libfreerdp-client1.1 libfreerdp-codec1.1 libfreerdp-common1.1.0 libfreerdp-core1.1
  libfreerdp-crypto1.1 libfreerdp-gdi1.1 libfreerdp-locale1.1 libfreerdp-primitives1.1 libfreerdp-rail1.1 libfreerdp-utils1.1 libgles1-mesa
  libgles2-mesa libgpgme++2 libgpgme11 libgpm2 libgroupsock1 libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 libgstreamer1.0-0 libhunspell-1.3-0 libilmbase6
  libiodbc2 libiso9660-8 libkactivities6 libkate1 libkatepartinterfaces4 libkcmutils4 libkde3support4 libkdeclarative5 libkdecore5
  libkdesu5 libkdeui5 libkdewebkit5 libkdnssd4 libkemoticons4 libkfile4 libkhtml5 libkidletime4 libkio5 libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4
  libkmediaplayer4 libknewstuff3-4 libknotifyconfig4 libkntlm4 libkparts4 libkprintutils4 libkpty4 libkrosscore4 libksba8 libktexteditor4
  libkutils4 libkxmlrpcclient4 libldb1 liblivemedia23 libltdl7 libmad0 libmatroska6 libmhash2 libmng1 libmodplug1 libmpcdec6 libmpeg2-4
  libnepomuk4 libnepomukquery4a libnepomukutils4 libnl-3-200 libnl-route-3-200 libntdb1 libntrack-qt4-1 libntrack0 libopenexr6 libphonon4
  libplasma3 libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0 libpolkit-qt-1-1 libpostproc52 libproxy-tools libproxy1 libpth20
  libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libpython2.7 libqca2 libqt4-dbus libqt4-declarative libqt4-designer libqt4-network libqt4-opengl
  libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script libqt4-sql libqt4-svg libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtcore4 libqtdbus4 libqtgui4 libqtwebkit4
  libraptor2-0 librasqal3 librdf0 libresid-builder0c2a libsdl-image1.2 libsdl1.2debian libshine3 libshout3 libsidplay2 libsmbclient
  libsolid4 libsoprano4 libspeexdsp1 libssh-gcrypt-4 libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libsysfs2 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a libtalloc2 libtdb1
  libtevent0 libthreadweaver4 libtwolame0 libupnp6 libusageenvironment1 libutempter0 libva-drm1 libvcdinfo0 libvlc5 libvlccore8
  libvncclient0 libvorbisfile3 libwbclient0 libwebp5 libwinpr-crt0.1 libwinpr-crypto0.1 libwinpr-dsparse0.1 libwinpr-environment0.1
  libwinpr-file0.1 libwinpr-handle0.1 libwinpr-heap0.1 libwinpr-input0.1 libwinpr-interlocked0.1 libwinpr-library0.1 libwinpr-path0.1
  libwinpr-pool0.1 libwinpr-registry0.1 libwinpr-rpc0.1 libwinpr-sspi0.1 libwinpr-synch0.1 libwinpr-sysinfo0.1 libwinpr-thread0.1
  libwinpr-utils0.1 libxcb-composite0 libxcb-keysyms1 libxcb-randr0 libxcb-xv0 libxml2-utils libxslt1.1 libyajl2 libzvbi-common libzvbi0
  ntrack-module-libnl-0 oxygen-icon-theme phonon phonon-backend-vlc pinentry-gtk2 plasma-scriptengine-javascript python-talloc qdbus
  qtchooser qtcore4-l10n samba-libs sgml-base sgml-data soprano-daemon vlc vlc-data vlc-nox vlc-plugin-pulse xdg-utils xml-core
0 upgraded, 225 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

replay: 0 upgraded, 225 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I'm better staying with sudo shutdown or do not exclude the possibility of installing policykit-1. Afterall i used previously on Debian jesssie and i was pretty happy. policykit-1 wants to install only 6 packages in the end. Good solution looks to me.

Last edited by Nili (2017-05-31 14:58:21)

Offline

#11 2017-05-31 18:11:52

greenjeans
Member
Registered: 2017-04-07
Posts: 426  
Website

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

If you want an alternate shutdown system, I have tested Obsession extensively in both Openbox and Mate and it works great. Super easy to make keyboard shortcuts using obsession and get one click shutdown, suspend, hibernate etc.


https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal 64 and 32 bit Devuan-based openbox and mate systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

Offline

#12 2017-05-31 19:04:24

Nili
Member
From: $HOME/♫♪
Registered: 2016-12-01
Posts: 107  
Website

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

First time to hear about obsession. I'll give a check definitely. Thank you greenjeans! This looks very minimal, only one package to install.

Edit: obsession looks like an openbox helpful shutdown tool while i use a tile wm, I have no other choice than using policykit-1 or edit my /etc/sudoers.

Last edited by Nili (2017-06-01 12:26:16)

Offline

#13 2017-06-02 15:48:12

smoki
Member
Registered: 2017-05-15
Posts: 56  

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

zapper wrote:

KShutdown is flawless for ascii.

Flawlessness is not a problem there, just unbelievable too much uneeded bloatness there big_smile

PC hardware have poweroff/restart buttons, these are simple buttons - you press that usually just with one finger and it did the job.

So why in the hell someone needed 500+ packages on top of basic system, just to provide same functionality with that KShutdown wink

Last edited by smoki (2017-06-02 16:32:41)

Offline

#14 2017-06-02 17:28:14

zapper
Member
Registered: 2017-05-29
Posts: 60  

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

smoki wrote:
zapper wrote:

KShutdown is flawless for ascii.

Flawlessness is not a problem there, just unbelievable too much uneeded bloatness there big_smile

PC hardware have poweroff/restart buttons, these are simple buttons - you press that usually just with one finger and it did the job.

So why in the hell someone needed 500+ packages on top of basic system, just to provide same functionality with that KShutdown wink

well it's the only way I have found to shut it down until they fix the issue that doesn't let the menu shutdown option work.

I will look for other ways though if you wish... to add to this list. heh.

Offline

#15 2017-06-02 17:36:32

zapper
Member
Registered: 2017-05-29
Posts: 60  

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

Nili wrote:

Topic interesting this one. I thought to try kshutdown on my minimal setup.
WOW just Cool! I didn't imagine that would bring so many goddess smile

Edit: Oh just i see now this is a KDE tool right? Isn't for me anyway...

nili ~ $ sudo apt-get install -s kshutdown
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
  aspell aspell-en dbus-x11 dictionaries-common docbook-xml docbook-xsl emacsen-common fonts-freefont-ttf gnupg-agent gnupg2 iso-codes
  kate-data katepart kde-runtime kde-runtime-data kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins kdoctools liba52-0.7.4 libaa1 libaspell15
  libassuan0 libattica0.4 libaudio2 libavc1394-0 libbasicusageenvironment0 libcanberra0 libcddb2 libchromaprint0 libclucene-core1
  libcrystalhd3 libdbusmenu-qt2 libdca0 libdirectfb-1.2-9 libdlrestrictions1 libdvbpsi9 libebml4 libenchant1c2a libexiv2-13 libfaad2
  libfam0 libfreerdp-cache1.1 libfreerdp-client1.1 libfreerdp-codec1.1 libfreerdp-common1.1.0 libfreerdp-core1.1 libfreerdp-crypto1.1
  libfreerdp-gdi1.1 libfreerdp-locale1.1 libfreerdp-primitives1.1 libfreerdp-rail1.1 libfreerdp-utils1.1 libgles1-mesa libgles2-mesa
  libgpgme++2 libgpgme11 libgpm2 libgroupsock1 libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 libgstreamer1.0-0 libhunspell-1.3-0 libilmbase6 libiodbc2
  libiso9660-8 libkactivities6 libkate1 libkatepartinterfaces4 libkcmutils4 libkde3support4 libkdeclarative5 libkdecore5 libkdesu5
  libkdeui5 libkdewebkit5 libkdnssd4 libkemoticons4 libkfile4 libkhtml5 libkidletime4 libkio5 libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4 libkmediaplayer4
  libknewstuff3-4 libknotifyconfig4 libkntlm4 libkparts4 libkprintutils4 libkpty4 libkrosscore4 libksba8 libktexteditor4 libkutils4
  libkxmlrpcclient4 libldb1 liblivemedia23 libltdl7 libmad0 libmatroska6 libmhash2 libmng1 libmodplug1 libmpcdec6 libmpeg2-4 libnepomuk4
  libnepomukquery4a libnepomukutils4 libnl-3-200 libnl-route-3-200 libntdb1 libntrack-qt4-1 libntrack0 libopenexr6 libphonon4 libplasma3
  libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0 libpolkit-qt-1-1 libpostproc52 libproxy-tools libproxy1 libpth20 libpulse-mainloop-glib0
  libpython2.7 libqca2 libqt4-dbus libqt4-declarative libqt4-designer libqt4-network libqt4-opengl libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script
  libqt4-sql libqt4-svg libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtcore4 libqtdbus4 libqtgui4 libqtwebkit4 libraptor2-0 librasqal3 librdf0
  libresid-builder0c2a libsdl-image1.2 libsdl1.2debian libshine3 libshout3 libsidplay2 libsmbclient libsolid4 libsoprano4 libspeexdsp1
  libssh-gcrypt-4 libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libsysfs2 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a libtalloc2 libtdb1 libtevent0 libthreadweaver4
  libtwolame0 libupnp6 libusageenvironment1 libutempter0 libva-drm1 libvcdinfo0 libvlc5 libvlccore8 libvncclient0 libvorbisfile3
  libwbclient0 libwebp5 libwinpr-crt0.1 libwinpr-crypto0.1 libwinpr-dsparse0.1 libwinpr-environment0.1 libwinpr-file0.1 libwinpr-handle0.1
  libwinpr-heap0.1 libwinpr-input0.1 libwinpr-interlocked0.1 libwinpr-library0.1 libwinpr-path0.1 libwinpr-pool0.1 libwinpr-registry0.1
  libwinpr-rpc0.1 libwinpr-sspi0.1 libwinpr-synch0.1 libwinpr-sysinfo0.1 libwinpr-thread0.1 libwinpr-utils0.1 libxcb-composite0
  libxcb-keysyms1 libxcb-randr0 libxcb-xv0 libxml2-utils libxslt1.1 libyajl2 libzvbi-common libzvbi0 ntrack-module-libnl-0
  oxygen-icon-theme phonon phonon-backend-vlc pinentry-gtk2 plasma-scriptengine-javascript python-talloc qdbus qtchooser qtcore4-l10n
  samba-libs sgml-base sgml-data soprano-daemon vlc vlc-data vlc-nox vlc-plugin-pulse xdg-utils xml-core
Suggested packages:
  aspell-doc spellutils wordlist docbook docbook-dsssl docbook-defguide dbtoepub docbook-xsl-doc-html docbook-xsl-doc-pdf
  docbook-xsl-doc-text docbook-xsl-doc docbook-xsl-saxon fop libsaxon-java libxalan2-java libxslthl-java xalan gnupg-doc parcimonie
  xloadimage isoquery djvulibre-bin finger icoutils libcanberra-pulse sound-theme-freedesktop nas libcanberra-gtk0 libchromaprint-tools
  python-acoustid firmware-crystalhd libenchant-voikko exiv2 fam freerdp-x11 gpgsm gpm libvisual-0.4-plugins gstreamer-codec-install
  gnome-codec-install gstreamer1.0-tools iodbc hspell libqca2-plugin-cyrus-sasl libqca2-plugin-gnupg libqca2-plugin-ossl
  libqt4-declarative-folderlistmodel libqt4-declarative-gestures libqt4-declarative-particles libqt4-declarative-shaders qt4-qmlviewer
  libqt4-dev libicu52 qt4-qtconfig raptor2-utils rasqal-utils librdf-storage-postgresql librdf-storage-mysql librdf-storage-sqlite
  librdf-storage-virtuoso redland-utils media-player-info phonon-backend-gstreamer phonon-backend-mplayer pinentry-doc sgml-base-doc
  perlsgml w3-recs opensp virtuoso-minimal videolan-doc libdvdcss2 gvfs-bin debhelper
Recommended packages:
  fonts-dejavu enchant gstreamer1.0-plugins-base hunspell-en-us hunspell-dictionary myspell-dictionary libkactivities-bin libqt4-sql-mysql
  libqt4-sql-odbc libqt4-sql-psql libqt4-sql-sqlite libqt4-sql-sqlite2 libqt4-sql-ibase udisks2 upower vlc-plugin-notify vlc-plugin-samba
  libfile-mimeinfo-perl libnet-dbus-perl libx11-protocol-perl x11-utils
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  aspell aspell-en dbus-x11 dictionaries-common docbook-xml docbook-xsl emacsen-common fonts-freefont-ttf gnupg-agent gnupg2 iso-codes
  kate-data katepart kde-runtime kde-runtime-data kdelibs-bin kdelibs5-data kdelibs5-plugins kdoctools kshutdown liba52-0.7.4 libaa1
  libaspell15 libassuan0 libattica0.4 libaudio2 libavc1394-0 libbasicusageenvironment0 libcanberra0 libcddb2 libchromaprint0
  libclucene-core1 libcrystalhd3 libdbusmenu-qt2 libdca0 libdirectfb-1.2-9 libdlrestrictions1 libdvbpsi9 libebml4 libenchant1c2a
  libexiv2-13 libfaad2 libfam0 libfreerdp-cache1.1 libfreerdp-client1.1 libfreerdp-codec1.1 libfreerdp-common1.1.0 libfreerdp-core1.1
  libfreerdp-crypto1.1 libfreerdp-gdi1.1 libfreerdp-locale1.1 libfreerdp-primitives1.1 libfreerdp-rail1.1 libfreerdp-utils1.1 libgles1-mesa
  libgles2-mesa libgpgme++2 libgpgme11 libgpm2 libgroupsock1 libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-0 libgstreamer1.0-0 libhunspell-1.3-0 libilmbase6
  libiodbc2 libiso9660-8 libkactivities6 libkate1 libkatepartinterfaces4 libkcmutils4 libkde3support4 libkdeclarative5 libkdecore5
  libkdesu5 libkdeui5 libkdewebkit5 libkdnssd4 libkemoticons4 libkfile4 libkhtml5 libkidletime4 libkio5 libkjsapi4 libkjsembed4
  libkmediaplayer4 libknewstuff3-4 libknotifyconfig4 libkntlm4 libkparts4 libkprintutils4 libkpty4 libkrosscore4 libksba8 libktexteditor4
  libkutils4 libkxmlrpcclient4 libldb1 liblivemedia23 libltdl7 libmad0 libmatroska6 libmhash2 libmng1 libmodplug1 libmpcdec6 libmpeg2-4
  libnepomuk4 libnepomukquery4a libnepomukutils4 libnl-3-200 libnl-route-3-200 libntdb1 libntrack-qt4-1 libntrack0 libopenexr6 libphonon4
  libplasma3 libpolkit-agent-1-0 libpolkit-gobject-1-0 libpolkit-qt-1-1 libpostproc52 libproxy-tools libproxy1 libpth20
  libpulse-mainloop-glib0 libpython2.7 libqca2 libqt4-dbus libqt4-declarative libqt4-designer libqt4-network libqt4-opengl
  libqt4-qt3support libqt4-script libqt4-sql libqt4-svg libqt4-xml libqt4-xmlpatterns libqtcore4 libqtdbus4 libqtgui4 libqtwebkit4
  libraptor2-0 librasqal3 librdf0 libresid-builder0c2a libsdl-image1.2 libsdl1.2debian libshine3 libshout3 libsidplay2 libsmbclient
  libsolid4 libsoprano4 libspeexdsp1 libssh-gcrypt-4 libstreamanalyzer0 libstreams0 libsysfs2 libtag1-vanilla libtag1c2a libtalloc2 libtdb1
  libtevent0 libthreadweaver4 libtwolame0 libupnp6 libusageenvironment1 libutempter0 libva-drm1 libvcdinfo0 libvlc5 libvlccore8
  libvncclient0 libvorbisfile3 libwbclient0 libwebp5 libwinpr-crt0.1 libwinpr-crypto0.1 libwinpr-dsparse0.1 libwinpr-environment0.1
  libwinpr-file0.1 libwinpr-handle0.1 libwinpr-heap0.1 libwinpr-input0.1 libwinpr-interlocked0.1 libwinpr-library0.1 libwinpr-path0.1
  libwinpr-pool0.1 libwinpr-registry0.1 libwinpr-rpc0.1 libwinpr-sspi0.1 libwinpr-synch0.1 libwinpr-sysinfo0.1 libwinpr-thread0.1
  libwinpr-utils0.1 libxcb-composite0 libxcb-keysyms1 libxcb-randr0 libxcb-xv0 libxml2-utils libxslt1.1 libyajl2 libzvbi-common libzvbi0
  ntrack-module-libnl-0 oxygen-icon-theme phonon phonon-backend-vlc pinentry-gtk2 plasma-scriptengine-javascript python-talloc qdbus
  qtchooser qtcore4-l10n samba-libs sgml-base sgml-data soprano-daemon vlc vlc-data vlc-nox vlc-plugin-pulse xdg-utils xml-core
0 upgraded, 225 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

replay: 0 upgraded, 225 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

I'm better staying with sudo shutdown or do not exclude the possibility of installing policykit-1. Afterall i used previously on Debian jesssie and i was pretty happy. policykit-1 wants to install only 6 packages in the end. Good solution looks to me.


Yeah... I just tried sudo shutdown and it worked. I will just say, ignore all my kshutdown comments, sudo shutdown is better. hehe.

Offline

#16 2017-06-02 18:09:49

greenjeans
Member
Registered: 2017-04-07
Posts: 426  
Website

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

zapper wrote:

Yeah... I just tried sudo shutdown and it worked. I will just say, ignore all my kshutdown comments, sudo shutdown is better. hehe.

Still not as quick and cool as merely hitting alt+p and getting a quick 3 second shutdown. wink


https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal 64 and 32 bit Devuan-based openbox and mate systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

Offline

#17 2017-06-02 18:28:28

Nili
Member
From: $HOME/♫♪
Registered: 2016-12-01
Posts: 107  
Website

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

zapper wrote:

Yeah... I just tried sudo shutdown and it worked. I will just say, ignore all my kshutdown comments, sudo shutdown is better. hehe.

Ofcourse that will work, It is the basic shutdown command of the system. I'm still using this one, but what greenjeans says is correct

greenjeans wrote:

Still not as quick and cool as merely hitting alt+p and getting a quick 3 second shutdown.

sudo shutdown is it not so practical even i'm using it. policykit-1 tool with a config shortcut like alt+p It's more simplicity.

Last edited by Nili (2017-06-02 18:29:03)

Offline

#18 2017-06-02 18:59:45

smoki
Member
Registered: 2017-05-15
Posts: 56  

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

I just hope someone wouldn't come and say here is a AppImage, Snap,  Flatpak... package to do a shutdown big_smile

I have mapped it to what i don't use and can't easely press it like ctrl+super+alt+del for reboot or end for shutdown.

Last edited by smoki (2017-06-02 19:02:15)

Offline

#19 2017-06-02 19:05:57

greenjeans
Member
Registered: 2017-04-07
Posts: 426  
Website

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

Nili wrote:

sudo shutdown is it not so practical even i'm using it. policykit-1 tool with a config shortcut like alt+p It's more simplicity.

I just tied keybindings to obsession commands, obsession-exit is the cli executable i.e. : obsession-exit -p = poweroff/shutdown


https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal 64 and 32 bit Devuan-based openbox and mate systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

Offline

#20 2017-06-02 22:08:51

zapper
Member
Registered: 2017-05-29
Posts: 60  

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

alt + p didn't really work for me so I am assuming it is a glitch of the testing version.

Offline

#21 2017-06-04 21:02:18

greenjeans
Member
Registered: 2017-04-07
Posts: 426  
Website

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

zapper wrote:

alt + p didn't really work for me so I am assuming it is a glitch of the testing version.

Well it won't work unless you specifically bind those keys (or any other combo of keys) to that command.  Alt+p works in my system because I made that keyboard shortcut as well as the others. Just need to figure out where to change keybindings in your system and tie keys to the obsesssion-exit commands.


mate@vuudomate:~$ obsession-exit --help
Usage:
  obsession-exit [OPTION...] 

Help Options:
  -h, --help             Show help options

Application Options:
  -p, --poweroff         Shutdown the computer
  -s, --suspend          Suspend the computer
  -H, --hibernate        Go to Hibernation
  -r, --reboot           Restart the computer
  -c, --capabilities     List power capabilities

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal 64 and 32 bit Devuan-based openbox and mate systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

Offline

#22 2017-06-09 15:42:49

spartrekus
Member
Registered: 2017-04-30
Posts: 132  

Re: Shutdown and root passsword

greenjeans wrote:

Possibly in /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.consolekit.policy, change "auth_admin_keep" to "yes" where appropriate, not sure this is the best way or recommended way but I imagine it will work:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE policyconfig PUBLIC
 "-//freedesktop//DTD PolicyKit Policy Configuration 1.0//EN"
 "http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/PolicyKit/1.0/policyconfig.dtd">

<!--
Policy definitions for ConsoleKit
-->

<policyconfig>

  <action id="org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop">
    <description>Stop the system</description>
    <message>System policy prevents stopping the system</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
    </defaults>
  </action>

  <action id="org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.stop-multiple-users">
    <description>Stop the system when multiple users are logged in</description>
    <message>System policy prevents stopping the system when other users are logged in</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>
    </defaults>
  </action>

  <action id="org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart">
    <description>Restart the system</description>
    <message>System policy prevents restarting the system</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>yes</allow_active>
    </defaults>
  </action>

  <action id="org.freedesktop.consolekit.system.restart-multiple-users">
    <description>Restart the system when multiple users are logged in</description>
    <message>System policy prevents restarting the system when other users are logged in</message>
    <defaults>
      <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
      <allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>
    </defaults>
  </action>

</policyconfig>

configuration file looking like xml/xhtml... not so much nice to see.

Offline

Board footer