The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-08-08 03:07:25

auanta

Beyond the mouse and keyboard

I love my "hacker's" keyboard but I find that it is too big for me, so it hurts my hands because I don't have the range most people do and I get tired quickly. (A vim person most definitely.) I just wish that it was smaller because I strain to reach the keys. I thought it is only because I am a bad typist! (Sarcasm alert: Only REAL hackers type 999 WPM in the dark on a glow in the dark dvorak keyboard that goes clackity clack! ... Reality: become a fast typist, still struggle with the keyboard, and get chronic pain.)

Most devices on the market that cater to hackers are kinda inaccessible and uncomfortable for to me to use, it gets worse with age. There are some devices but they run proprietary stuff and often don't work on Linux.

I think I am stuck now having to look for alternatives to keyboards altogether because 99% of them hurt, I can't live this way! Also it would be ideal to do typing while I am walking outside or just moving around in general. Not just on a phone, either, but the PinePhone does help.

Anyway so now I say No More of this Nonsense! I'm trying to put together some solutions for alternative input devices. And, even among the supposed alternatives...not a lot really satisfy. But I will list here what I find compelling, and your thoughts are welcome.

So this is just a place to collect my research on what may or may not become a project... (I know, I need a blog..)

Last edited by auanta (2022-08-09 03:14:39)

Devuan GNU/Linux, the sysadmin secret sauce
> "I use Hyperbola btw" my favorite BSD wink

Disclaimer: If I give you any technical advice, always double check it, because even though I used GNU/Linux many years, I'm still learning, just like you. I try to help, but I could be wrong! Empower yourself!

#2 2022-08-08 14:11:06

Camtaf

Re: Beyond the mouse and keyboard

My main keyboard is a CiT KB-738, its small overall size is what drew me to it, I hate those massive keyboards with keypads & multi media keys, this is just a keyboard. smile

When I'm setting up my RPi, I often use a wireless mini keyboard with touch pad.

Maybe one of the above may appeal to you. wink

EDIT: Almost forgot, I use xvkbd on my thin client computer, I don't type much generally, & this suffices for online web browser, music, videos, & time wasting games. big_smile

Last edited by Camtaf (2022-08-08 14:14:43)

#3 2022-08-09 00:04:07

auanta

Re: Beyond the mouse and keyboard

Camtaf wrote:

My main keyboard is a CiT KB-738, its small overall size is what drew me to it, I hate those massive keyboards with keypads & multi media keys, this is just a keyboard. smile

When I'm setting up my RPi, I often use a wireless mini keyboard with touch pad.

Maybe one of the above may appeal to you. wink

EDIT: Almost forgot, I use xvkbd on my thin client computer, I don't type much generally, & this suffices for online web browser, music, videos, & time wasting games. big_smile

Thank you for sharing your setup! I have an Ultimate Hacking Keyboard. It splits in half, which is a necessity for touch typing, and I can change the bindings with a key combination.

I actually do ( or did ) a lot of typing and unless I get the voice dictation working, well.......

After doing all that research, maybe I should get some different switches. Never can have too many tools. The brown Kailh box switches are too hard to press down. OH I GET IT NOW, it's because the force is at 60. I could get a 45...

Last edited by auanta (2022-08-09 01:32:44)

Devuan GNU/Linux, the sysadmin secret sauce
> "I use Hyperbola btw" my favorite BSD wink

Disclaimer: If I give you any technical advice, always double check it, because even though I used GNU/Linux many years, I'm still learning, just like you. I try to help, but I could be wrong! Empower yourself!

Board footer