The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2022-02-18 18:29:30

FM81

Two DHCP-requests during start?

Hi at all!
I've just installed 'devuan_chimaera_4.0.0_arm64_rpi4.img.zip' on my Raspberry 4.
During startup/init I see, that it pulls an IP-address from my DHCP, let's say 192.168.2.112.
During login-prompt I see that it get's another address, it's always the next (in that example 192.168.2.113).
On next boot it gets the "113" first and few seconds later the "114" and so on ...
I wouldn't call that "normal behaviour", but what can bei done against?
As far as I remember older "beowulf"-versions didn't do so?

Thank you, FM_81

The most brilliant role in comedy is that of a fool, he must not be in order to make it seem. (Miguel de Cervantes)

#2 2022-03-28 01:37:51

dave

Re: Two DHCP-requests during start?

Is so-called 'DHCP MAC Randomization' enabled?   

If it is, your client will do a REQUEST for it's old IP address, but use a new random MAC address.  The DHCP server will reject the request as the previous MAC + Address pair don't match what is being sent.
The client will therefore re-request an IP and the server will issue it from the next available pool IP.

Google and/or see (among others) https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … connecting

#3 2022-03-31 11:13:00

FM81

Re: Two DHCP-requests during start?

dave wrote:

Is so-called 'DHCP MAC Randomization' enabled?

I'm not sure? Why should such a crappy stuff be enabled by default? It's a nearly blank installation, only minimal changes was made?
And of course nothing related to "DHCP MAC Randomization" ...
Sorry, I forgot to say, that I was speaking about the ethernet interface, wlan isn't involved at all! 

dave wrote:

If it is, your client will do a REQUEST for it's old IP address, but use a new random MAC address.  The DHCP server will reject the request as the previous MAC + Address pair don't match what is being sent.
The client will therefore re-request an IP and the server will issue it from the next available pool IP.

The DHCP-server is a machine running DNSMASQ - it never shows the behaviour to pick "allways the next IP" before - in every other case it has always picked a random address from the reserved pool, if it sees a new MAC-address.

Best regards, FM_81

The most brilliant role in comedy is that of a fool, he must not be in order to make it seem. (Miguel de Cervantes)

Board footer