The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-11-01 20:37:51

nobodyuknow

[SOLVED] ungoogled-chromium, Iridium, or LibreWolf, please

Would it be possible to have a privacy-respecting Chromium spin, e.g., ungoogled-chromium, Iridium, or LibreWolf, in the package libraries? All of these currently require compilation and/or are based on Debian Unstable.

Last edited by nobodyuknow (2021-11-01 22:17:50)

#2 2021-11-02 12:18:22

hevidevi

Re: [SOLVED] ungoogled-chromium, Iridium, or LibreWolf, please

Debian bullseye OBS (OpenSuse Build Service) repo is available for ungoogled chromium. Debian bullseye is equivalent to Devuan Chimaera, that being both are stable releases, so in theory there should be no issue with installation of the OBS repo to install ungoogled chromium for the debian stable version. Actually i have done this a few weeks ago just to see if it works and had no issues, i did not keep it around as i did have issues with getting the addon ublock origin to work, for me that was a deal breaker so uninstalled it.

See here: https://github.com/ungoogled-software/u … ium-debian

Last edited by hevidevi (2021-11-02 12:25:33)

#3 2021-11-02 16:29:16

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

I can't speak for the developers but I'm pretty sure they already have enough to do without packaging up some shitty browers that aren't good enough to make it into Debian's repositories.

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#4 2021-11-02 18:17:43

andyprough

nobodyuknow wrote:

Would it be possible to have a privacy-respecting Chromium spin, e.g., ungoogled-chromium, Iridium, or LibreWolf, in the package libraries? All of these currently require compilation and/or are based on Debian Unstable.

Tor Browser is by far the most privacy respecting and is in the repos:

sudo apt install torbrowser-launcher

#5 2021-11-02 22:07:49

pcalvert

I believe that MX Linux has Iridium (package name: iridium-browser). I no longer have any packages from MX Linux installed, but I did in the past. The tricky part was setting up the apt-pinning so that only the packages I wanted from MX Linux were installed, and nothing else.

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

#6 2021-11-02 22:12:46

nobodyuknow

Thanks for the replies.

@hevidevi

Yes, I saw that, but some things that work in Debian do not work in Devuan. The lack of Ublock Origin is a problem for me as well. But I will try it because I'd like another option.

@Head_on_a_Stick

Mirror mirror on the wall, of all the Debian-supplied browsers, which is the shittiest of them all?

Why, that would be the data-mining Chrome, of course! Google has been caught many times stealing data from K-12 students in violation of federal law and each time it promises to never do it again.

@andyprough

Except for the unscrupulous owners of exit nodes.

@pcalvert

Sparky Linux has it too, if memory serves me correct. Or was that Gecko Linux? I'll look at MX Linux.

Last edited by nobodyuknow (2021-11-02 22:22:34)

#7 2021-11-02 22:55:05

manyroads
Website

FWIW. the appimage for librewolf is here: https://gitlab.com/librewolf-community/ … -/releases

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads
i3wm, bspwm, dkwm, dwm, hlwm, sway, openbox on Sid/ ceres ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

#8 2021-11-02 23:00:13

manyroads
Website

FWIW. another option might be here: https://github.com/iridium-browser/tracker/issues/24.  For those who don't want me to get rich of the above click, here's the essential content:

You can easily make your own using this recipe like this on a Debian/Ubuntu system:

wget -c "https://github.com/AppImage/AppImages/raw/master/pkg2appimage"
bash -ex pkg2appimage iridium-browser

The resulting AppImage should run on most Linux systems, not just on Debian/Ubuntu.

Be advised I am only sharing this... I'll, also, test it later...

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads
i3wm, bspwm, dkwm, dwm, hlwm, sway, openbox on Sid/ ceres ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

#9 2021-11-02 23:26:28

andyprough

nobodyuknow wrote:

@andyprough

Except for the unscrupulous owners of exit nodes.

That would be the NSA, who already has backdoors into your email, your cell phone, your ISP, your DNS provider, your router, your security cameras, your car, your doorbell, your thermostat, and your refrigerator. Good luck keeping secrets from them due to your choice of web browsers. Tor over VPN is one method that might work for you, although most of the VPN's appear to be compromised as well. But if you find a good VPN that actually keeps its promises, you could probably pull it off.

However, from a purely technical perspective, Tor Browser is far and away the vastly superior privacy browsing experience in terms of being nearly impossible to track via fingerprinting. The scholarly research into that question is pretty much unanimous.

Next most private is Brave. Once again, the recent scholarly research and the testing is pretty much all in agreement. So if you want a non-Tor privacy browser, add the brave repo and install brave and set your anti-fingerprinting setting to "strict" and your anti-tracking level to "strict" in the settings.

#10 2021-11-03 00:19:01

nobodyuknow

@manyroads

Appimage, interesting. I must have glossed over those thinking I needed a .deb file. Let me play with those. Appimage being able to run without installation sounds great.

@andyprough

Actually I'm not worried about the NSA, unlike most techies. I'm worried about Russian and Chinese hackers and data-miners / Big Tech, e.g., Google (I never use Facebook).

As for Brave, what really annoys me are the keyring messages which I have seen on a number of distributions, where I can't do anything until I kill the task. Though I probably installed it via Brave's website instructions instead of using repos, something i won't repeat.

VPNs are starting to look like the Wild West, with Kape buying a number of them, along with a review site.

Last edited by nobodyuknow (2021-11-03 00:23:26)

#11 2021-11-03 18:02:52

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

nobodyuknow wrote:

Mirror mirror on the wall, of all the Debian-supplied browsers, which is the shittiest of them all?

Why, that would be the data-mining Chrome, of course! Google has been caught many times stealing data from K-12 students in violation of federal law and each time it promises to never do it again.

Debian does not supply Chrome, and they never will. But I do agree that the chomium package in the repositories is in a pretty poor state. Google don't provide an LTS version (unlike Mozilla) and Debian just can't keep up with the steady stream of vulnerabilities:

https://security-tracker.debian.org/tra … e/chromium

So the chromium package is outdated and riddled with potential security holes. Not good.

But for the "un-Googled" versions you list the situation is even worse because they're all based on outdated versions of Chrome. Privacy might be better than Chrome but security for those browsers is a complete joke (IMO).

Privacy on the interweb would be nice but it's almost impossible so I would always prioritise security because the browser is the single biggest vulnerability in the entire system for most desktop users.

#12 2021-11-03 20:25:07

nobodyuknow

@Head_on_a_Stick "Privacy might be better than Chrome but security for those browsers is a complete joke."

Ah, good point, I never thought of that. Kinda like IceCat, which hasn't been updated since June 2019. Oh well, everyone needs a hobby.

Okay, I downloaded LibreWolf and tried it. I was wondering if it would clobber the .mozilla directory, but it created a .librewolf directory as it should. I was able to add Ublock Origin, though it had an extra "ARE YOU SURE?" message. Some of the things I normally do to Firefox, e.g., about:config and set punycode to true, are already done. Hope it isn't sold to some heartless corporation as happened to Waterfox.

ungoogled-chromium is strange, given that it is downloaded from opensuse.org. I'm not sure I like that idea.

Iridium's homepage is curious, given that it offers support for Windows, macOC, openSUSE, Fedora, and RHEL/CentOS, but not Debian. I would imagine that Debian and its many spins constitute the largest subset in the Linux world. Then again, both openSUSE and Iridium are German.

Iridium is available from Sparky Linux repositories.

#13 2021-11-03 20:39:38

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

nobodyuknow wrote:

ungoogled-chromium is strange, given that it is downloaded from opensuse.org. I'm not sure I like that idea.

The openSUSE Build Service provides packages for many distributions, they are all built in fresh VMs for the target suite and so should be fully compatible. I've been using the service myself for several years to build custom Debian & Arch packages, it works very well.

Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick (2021-11-03 20:41:33)

#14 2021-11-04 00:31:15

zapper

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I can't speak for the developers but I'm pretty sure they already have enough to do without packaging up some shitty browers that aren't good enough to make it into Debian's repositories.

I am going to have to disagree, chromium, iridium, firefox regular, firefox esr, all are shitty browsers. 

Librewolf, ungoogled-chromium are much better than their counterparts. 

Just curious, but were you trolling or serious?

I can't figure it out at the moment.

EDIT: I see what you mean about ungoogled-chromium in later posts, still think that librewolf is way better than the rest.

Last edited by zapper (2021-11-04 00:34:03)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#15 2021-11-04 01:38:44

zephyr
Website

Something new...at least for me! Just downloaded!

https://www.ghostery.com/dawn

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#16 2021-11-04 01:48:09

zephyr
Website

First time coming across a browser with a monthly fee!

Disregard

zephyr

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#17 2021-11-04 16:56:36

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

zapper wrote:

were you trolling or serious?

Both.

#18 2021-11-05 00:16:53

pcalvert

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Debian does not supply Chrome, and they never will. But I do agree that the chomium package in the repositories is in a pretty poor state. Google don't provide an LTS version (unlike Mozilla) and Debian just can't keep up with the steady stream of vulnerabilities:

https://security-tracker.debian.org/tra … e/chromium

So the chromium package is outdated and riddled with potential security holes. Not good.

When I want a Chromium-based web browser, I install Vivaldi:

https://vivaldi.com/

The first time I installed it, the UI was kind of weird, and it wasn't long before I uninstalled it. However, I gave Vivaldi a second chance later on, and they had clearly improved it a lot.

Freespoke is a new search engine that respects user privacy and does not engage in censorship.

#19 2021-11-05 11:04:23

zapper

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
zapper wrote:

were you trolling or serious?

Both.

I have no idea what to say to this beyond this reply...

wink

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#20 2021-11-05 13:41:58

andyprough

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

But for the "un-Googled" versions you list the situation is even worse because they're all based on outdated versions of Chrome. Privacy might be better than Chrome but security for those browsers is a complete joke (IMO).

The current version of ungoogled-chromium (95.0.4638.69) is the exact same as the current Arch version of chromium. It was released by the chocolate factory on Sept. 29th. Repology shows that 95.0.4638.69 is considered the "newest" release.

That's vastly better than Debian, which is rolling with the 90.0.4430.212 version of chromium right now. That version was released back in April or May.

#21 2021-11-05 18:31:40

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Oops, sorry for the misinformation. I really should have checked that. Thanks for the correction Andy.

#22 2021-11-05 21:47:45

andyprough

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Oops, sorry for the misinformation. I really should have checked that. Thanks for the correction Andy.

I was of the same opinion up until about a week ago, as ungoogled-chromium used to be horribly out of date. But recently they've added special deb repos on their github page and I had been trying it out on Devuan and Trisquel. Seems to work well, and pretty much up to date. The deb repos are running about a week behind, but not too bad.

It's good for chromium to have a bit of competition. Too often it is released in a semi-broken state. ungoogled-chromium can pick up a lot of users if they can stay current and release a version that mostly works well.

#23 2021-11-06 11:25:56

hevidevi

andyprough wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I was of the same opinion up until about a week ago, as ungoogled-chromium used to be horribly out of date. But recently they've added special deb repos on their github page and I had been trying it out on Devuan and Trisquel. Seems to work well, and pretty much up to date. The deb repos are running about a week behind, but not too bad.

It's good for chromium to have a bit of competition. Too often it is released in a semi-broken state. ungoogled-chromium can pick up a lot of users if they can stay current and release a version that mostly works well.

Did you manage to get ublock origin to work?

I had ungoogled chromium working but using the latest releases from ublock github were not working for me.

The chrome webstore will not let you install any addons through the ungoogled browser that im aware of.

#24 2021-11-06 17:47:05

andyprough

hevidevi wrote:

I had ungoogled chromium working but using the latest releases from ublock github were not working for me.

The chrome webstore will not let you install any addons through the ungoogled browser that im aware of.

Re: ublock - I'm not using it right now on ungoogled-chromium - I'm using noscript and it's blocking ads fine.

There's apparently some chromium build problem with respect to ublock and other dedicated ad blockers right now:  https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-ch … ssues/1698
Devs are apparently working on a fix.

To use the chrome web store, use the instructions on this page: https://avoidthehack.com/manually-insta … d-chromium

#25 2021-11-07 10:26:46

hevidevi

andyprough wrote:
hevidevi wrote:

Re: ublock - I'm not using it right now on ungoogled-chromium - I'm using noscript and it's blocking ads fine.

There's apparently some chromium build problem with respect to ublock and other dedicated ad blockers right now:  https://github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-ch … ssues/1698
Devs are apparently working on a fix.

To use the chrome web store, use the instructions on this page: https://avoidthehack.com/manually-insta … d-chromium

excellent, thanks for the info.

Board footer