The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-08-15 02:04:54

Phil

elogind - change login background

I am using Chimaera on my laptop and I am loving it!!! I am moving off from Fedora and am glad to be rid of systemd!! In customizing my system I have been unable to figure out how to change the background for the login screen when using elogind. The documentation never discusses how to do it. Does anyone know if it is possible? If so how? or is there another login manager that I should be using. I use LXDE as my desktop (it very  lightweight) and gives be better battery life than Gnome or KDE.

Phil

#2 2020-08-15 09:32:22

Geoff 42

Re: elogind - change login background

I am a fan of LXDM as the display manager with the graphical login screen. It allows you to select your desktop and language from the login in screen, as well as shutting down the machine. It is not limited to LXDE or LXQT and it works with elogind. I have not done much with the customisation, but the config file allows for setting up the background and the theme etc.

I used to use LXDE but have now migrated to LXQT as it seems as though that is where development is heading and works with elogind. I think that there may have been a query about how well LXDE works with elogind.

Geoff

#3 2020-08-15 20:53:18

Phil

Thanks, LXQT is also very light weight and is similar to LXDE. It seems like no one know how to liven up elogind. I briefly looked and the code and asked this question in the IRC channel for elogind with no response.

Maybe I should change to slim as my login manager but changing the background isn't documented with slim. Bummer.

#4 2020-08-16 05:26:09

Geoff 42

I'm not sure that I understand your comments on elogind, itself. elogind runs as a daemon and is used by the display manager to do the authentication. The end user does not interact directly with elogind.

Geoff

#5 2020-08-16 12:33:14

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Phil wrote:

Maybe I should change to slim as my login manager

I'm pretty sure SLiM is the default display manager for Devuan.

Phil wrote:

changing the background isn't documented with slim

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SL … background?

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#6 2020-08-16 19:27:26

Phil

My bad, SLiM is a display manager not the login manager and I am using LXDM as my display manager since I am using LX-qt

#7 2020-08-16 20:33:49

Phil

I found the answer, I wanted to change the background on the login screen. Since I am using LXQT, the background is provided and the default background for the display manager, in this case LXDM. That is set in the LXDM config file (/etc/lxdm/lxdm.conf) by setting the bg variable and pointing it to an image file the login background is set. Simple!

Phil

Board footer