The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-01 21:24:31

kingneutron

Recommendations for Devuan-next-rev ( after devuan_ascii_2.1 )

Just installed Ascii 2.1 from the latest netinst iso into a Virtualbox VM with UEFI and just wanted to say THANK YOU for getting the hell away from Systemd.  I've been using Antix and MX for a few years now but really wanted to give Devuan a decent shot.

I used the text-based installer and found it to be quite good, even asked me for my Squid proxy URL. This is an essential because the Devuan VM only has Bridged net support to the static-IP Wired connection - the Linux wireless driver on my 2008 iMac host doesn't work and everything has to go through Squid on my standalone Cubietruck board.

Some recommendations for the next release based on what I've seen so far:

o Right-click on the lxqt desktop should have "Terminal" in the menu (all serious admin desktops should have this, who wants to go hunting through the menus when you want to get right to the command line)

o Non-root user specified in text install is not added to sudoers - please fix

o Install kernel headers and build-essential as part of the netinst for vbox guest additions

o Mount the cdrom with exec permissions from the file manager so the Vbox guest modules can be installed more easily

That's all I've got for now, off to test ZFS install in the VM before I install Devuan as triple-boot on the Imac bare hardware :^)

#2 2020-01-02 13:13:39

HevyDevy

Re: Recommendations for Devuan-next-rev ( after devuan_ascii_2.1 )

Right-click on the lxqt desktop should have "Terminal"

You could quite easily create a panel launcher or keyboard shortcut for this.

Non-root user specified in text install is not added to sudoers - please fix

This is ultimately a user choice as it varies from user to user, some people dont use sudo at all.

Anything to do with Linux headers, Development tools and Vbox is also user choice , i for one would not want them on my install as per default.

Last edited by HevyDevy (2020-01-02 13:24:27)

Board footer