The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-12-05 05:15:27

aut0exec

Cisco Packet Tracer on Devuan Ascii

I know this is a particularly unique piece of software but hey, I'm sure there's others out there who need to use it for school or maybe they like it better than GNS3? I dunno but here are the instructions just in case someone else needs them.

Cisco expects individuals to be enrolled in a NetAcad course to get the Packet Tracer tarball so please download it from your netacad course. I will not provide the files, please don't ask. smile

Once the tarball has been downloaded continue with the following steps and be sure to complete all of them otherwise Packet Tracer will likely fail to launch or it will display the error: This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "xcb"

1) su -c 'apt-get install --no-install-recommends libqt5x11extras5 libqt5multimedia5 libqt5webkit5'
2) mkdir PKT; cd PKT
3) wget -c http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/debian/pool/main/libp/libpng/libpng12-0_1.2.50-2+deb8u3_amd64.deb  -> Downloads libpng12-0 from Devuan Jessie repository
4) su -c 'dpkg -i libpng12-0_1.2.50-2+deb8u3_amd64.deb'
5) su -c 'tar xzf "Packet Tracer 7.2 for Linux 64 bit.tar.gz" '
6) su -c './install'

When all of the above steps are done, you should be able to launch Packet Tracer by issuing the command:

packettracer

Last edited by aut0exec (2018-12-27 02:12:48)

#2 2018-12-05 18:37:15

fhascii

Re: Cisco Packet Tracer on Devuan Ascii

have you tried directly executing PacketTracer7 in bin/ directory inside extracted tar.gz? that way you get log what package you must install .
like libssl and libqt5 .
you must download libssl package manually ,i got libssl from debian jessie repo.

Also gns3 and packet tracer is kind of different.
feel free to ask me.

Fun things are fun

#3 2018-12-05 21:14:40

aut0exec

Re: Cisco Packet Tracer on Devuan Ascii

fhascii, It's all up and running just fine. I was posting the instructions for anyone else who might need them.

I used ldd on the packetracer binary to get an idea of what the system needed but it doesn't cover everything. Further inspection with strace revealed more items the binary was looking for and that's where the installation of libqt5x11extras5 came from!

Also gns3 and packet tracer is kind of different.

Oh yea... Very different. Wasn't trying to compare the two of them. smile

Board footer