The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-08-02 16:03:01

walterbyrd

MIYO what systray is running and how do I configure it?

I tried running tint2, but got the message that another systray was already running.

The settings -> customize look and feel lets me change some things, but not the systray or menus.

Any idea of how I can configure the systray?

Last edited by walterbyrd (2018-08-02 16:03:21)

#2 2018-08-02 20:00:54

MiyoLinux

Re: MIYO what systray is running and how do I configure it?

I'm not sure which version of MiyoLinux you're using, so I'll try to cover the possible scenarios.

First, let's start fresh...open the terminal and enter these two commands in order...

killall tint2

...followed by...

tint2

The system tray is configured with the Tint2 Settings application found under the Settings category of the menu...

General > Tint2 Settings

When the application opens, click on Edit Theme button. Another window will open that has all of the configuration options.

1. Do you want the battery to show?

If so, you'll have to add it to the panel. So, click the Panel Items tab on the left side of the window that opened. On the right side of the Panel Items window, click on Battery (to highlight it), then use the arrow keys (that are provided) to move it to the left side. Use the up/down arrows to move it where you want it to appear in the panel. Now click Apply.

It's still not showing in the panel, is it? The Battery indicator isn't an icon; it's displayed as numeric values. To get it to display, click on the Battery tab, scroll down until you see the two boxes for the Font to be used. Place checkmarks in both boxes. The top number will show the percentage of battery charge; the bottom number will show how much time remains on battery power. After placing check marks in the boxe(s), then click Apply.

2. General configuration of the order of items and spacing of the system tray is done by clicking on the System tray tab. Hit Apply if you make changes.

After making any changes and applying them, click the Ok button to close the configuration window.

3. Wireless network icon.

Is there no icon for the wireless network in the system tray of the version of MiyoLinux that you're using? If so, that was intentional, but you can add it...

To add that icon to the system tray, you need to edit the Autostart file. Open your Menu, and under the Settings category, go to...

Openbox > Openbox > autostart

That will open the autostart file in the text editor. Find the lines...

### Show the Connman Network Manager in the system tray.
#sleep 5 && cmst -m -i Papirus-Dark &

Remove the # from in front of the second line, so that it now looks like this...

### Show the Connman Network Manager in the system tray.
sleep 5 && cmst -m -i Papirus-Dark &

Save the file, and close it. The network manager icon will then show the next time you log out/in or reboot.

Hope that helps.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#3 2018-08-03 23:36:57

walterbyrd

Thanks for the replay.

Apparently, I am not running tint2, I am running awesome. Maybe I should switch?

Awesome is not bad, but seems to be very difficult to configure. I think you have to program in lua to configure anything.

#4 2018-08-04 00:27:44

MiyoLinux

Yes, Awesome is more difficult to configure, and yes, everything is basically controlled with the rc.lua file found in ~/.config/awesome.

What exactly are you wanting to do? Rearrange things, add things, remove things? If you want the network icon to show in the system tray, the instructions are in the Release Notes found in your Documents folder. If you no longer have the Release Notes, see THIS POST, but the line you'll want to uncomment is...

--autostart("cmst -m", 2)

Remove the two dashes from in front of that line then save and close the file.

Do you not have a volume icon in the system tray (or sound)? This is usually due to having more than one sound card, and you need to define which one to use. mlsmith was kind enough to give instructions in the wiki found HERE.

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

Board footer