The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-19 12:24:02

GNUser

redshift not working with VESA graphics [not gonna happen]

My T400 has integrated Intel graphics and normally uses the i915 graphics driver, which was giving me various video artifacts. Therefore, I've been using the laptop with VESA graphics by blacklisting the i915 kernel module.

The above made all the video artifacts go away, but unfortunately it seems to have broken redshift (which was working fine with i915). I've tried redshift with all available adjustment methods:

bruno@thinkpad:~$ redshift -m list
Available adjustment methods:
  drm
  randr
  vidmode
  dummy

Specify colon-separated options with `-m METHOD:OPTIONS'.
Try `-m METHOD:help' for help.
bruno@thinkpad:~$ redshift -O 3500 -m drm
open: No such file or directory
Failed to start adjustment method drm.
bruno@thinkpad:~$ redshift -O 3500 -m randr
Gamma ramp size too small: 0
Failed to start adjustment method randr.
bruno@thinkpad:~$ redshift -O 3500 -m vidmode
bruno@thinkpad:~$ redshift -O 3500 -m dummy
WARNING: Using dummy gamma method! Display will not be affected by this gamma method.
Temperature: 3500

The dummy method does nothing, as expected. None of the either methods work, either (vidmode does not output an error but has no effect on the monitor).

Can you guys help me adjust the color temperature of my display? I'm open to any suggestions except going back to i915. Here are some ideas:

- Somehow make one of redshift's adjustment methods work with VESA graphics driver
- Use a different tool to change the color temperature (I already tried sct and xgamma, no luck with either)
- Use a graphics driver other than i915 or VESA

Last edited by GNUser (2018-04-19 18:09:24)

#2 2018-04-19 17:33:02

GNUser

Re: redshift not working with VESA graphics [not gonna happen]

I guess the problem is that redshift requires an adjustable "gamma ramp" (per redshift's github page), but the VESA graphics driver does not offer a gamma ramp (see Richard's first post here).

What other graphics drivers are there for my machine? My searches so far have been futile. If i915 gives me artifacts and VESA breaks redshift, I'd like to find a third option. This is my hardware:

bruno@thinkpad:~$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)

EDIT: Since this question is a lot more broad and does not have to do with redshift specifically, I'll open a new thread for it.

Last edited by GNUser (2018-04-19 18:03:04)

Board footer