The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-07 18:49:28

chillfan

Upgrading to ASCII instructions

For those who want to upgrade to ASCII, I have made the instructions available on my wiki here. The instructions are only for upgrading from Devuan Jessie to Devuan ASCII. I expect this to be straight forward except for non-standard installs, but please open an issue if you experience any problems.

#2 2017-12-08 13:24:54

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Upgrading to ASCII instructions

A couple of additional notes:

If you don't have the kernel metapackage installed (e.g. linux-image-amd64) then you won't get the new kernel automatically on dist-upgrade and will need to install linux-image-4.9.0-4-<arch> or install the metapackage and dist-upgrade again. After installing the new kernel, you should reboot, so you're running the new kernel.

You might lose policykit-1 on the dist-upgrade. Unless you're a stoic minimalist, you'll want to reinstall it.

If you're upgrading from debian jessie or stretch, you'll need to remove systemd and systemd-shim after the upgrade. You might need to reinstall some other packages, too.

If you're upgrading from debian with gnome, you are a glutton for punishment, and you are heading for a big adventure. It can be done, but a fresh install would be easier and faster.

#3 2017-12-09 04:11:38

chillfan

Re: Upgrading to ASCII instructions

[Updated post]

Instructions to migrate from Debian are now available here.

Last edited by chillfan (Today 10:12:28)

Board footer