The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-12-03 15:28:54

sgage
Member
Registered: 2016-12-01
Posts: 111  

Strange mounting problem with USB drive

Hello All,

I am having an issue I've never come across before in 20 years of Linux experience. I am running a fully updated Ascii with MATE. The problem goes like this:

I have an external hard drive with a partition named "Linux" on it. Usually, I simply plug in the drive, and it auto-mounts on /media/sgage/Linux. For the past couple of days, however, it mounts on /media/sgage/Linux1. However, the item /media/sgage/Linux also appears. If I try to cd to Linux, I get 'permission denied'. I can cd to Linux1, and all my stuff (backups, mostly) is there. Meanwhile, 'Linux' shows up in Caja under Devices.

If I manually umount /media/sgage/Linux1, /media/sgage/Linux remains, but Caja shows 'Linux' under devices as unmounted.

This same exact scenario occurs with the other partition on the drive, and it also occurs with USB sticks.

I've never seen anything like it - anyone have a clue?

TIA...

Offline

#2 2017-12-03 20:09:18

fsmithred
Administrator
Registered: 2016-11-25
Posts: 887  

Re: Strange mounting problem with USB drive

Yeah, I see this frequently. I use pmount/pumount for removables. I think I get leftover directories under /media when I pull the usb out without unmounting it. It might be something else I'm doing, too. When it happens, I just delete the dir (as root.)

Offline

#3 2017-12-03 23:28:16

sgage
Member
Registered: 2016-12-01
Posts: 111  

Re: Strange mounting problem with USB drive

Thanks, fsr - that fixed it. Though I thought I had tried that first thing. Guess not, so glad you pointed it out!

- sgage

Offline

#4 2017-12-05 20:58:56

greenjeans
Member
Registered: 2017-04-07
Posts: 424  
Website

Re: Strange mounting problem with USB drive

sgage wrote:

Hello All,

I am having an issue I've never come across before in 20 years of Linux experience. I am running a fully updated Ascii with MATE. The problem goes like this:

I have an external hard drive with a partition named "Linux" on it. Usually, I simply plug in the drive, and it auto-mounts on /media/sgage/Linux. For the past couple of days, however, it mounts on /media/sgage/Linux1. However, the item /media/sgage/Linux also appears. If I try to cd to Linux, I get 'permission denied'. I can cd to Linux1, and all my stuff (backups, mostly) is there. Meanwhile, 'Linux' shows up in Caja under Devices.

If I manually umount /media/sgage/Linux1, /media/sgage/Linux remains, but Caja shows 'Linux' under devices as unmounted.

This same exact scenario occurs with the other partition on the drive, and it also occurs with USB sticks.

I've never seen anything like it - anyone have a clue?

TIA...

Yep, with Mate and gnome2 before that, Mate will also occasionally do this with the optical drive if you have one, Mate also throws up an error message when you insert a blank CD if the optical drive is not already mounted, I fixed that at one point but can't remember what I did.

Openbox using gvfs though hasn't been doing it though, it's been remarkably trouble-free about mounting/unmounting properly.


https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal 64 and 32 bit Devuan-based openbox and mate systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

Offline

#5 2017-12-05 21:48:39

sgage
Member
Registered: 2016-12-01
Posts: 111  

Re: Strange mounting problem with USB drive

I've really got to give OpenBox a real try one of these days. I've tried it a couple of times, but didn't have the patience to really give it a chance. Maybe I'll try VuuDo - I've got a spare partition at the moment...


greenjeans wrote:
sgage wrote:

Hello All,

I am having an issue I've never come across before in 20 years of Linux experience. I am running a fully updated Ascii with MATE. The problem goes like this:

I have an external hard drive with a partition named "Linux" on it. Usually, I simply plug in the drive, and it auto-mounts on /media/sgage/Linux. For the past couple of days, however, it mounts on /media/sgage/Linux1. However, the item /media/sgage/Linux also appears. If I try to cd to Linux, I get 'permission denied'. I can cd to Linux1, and all my stuff (backups, mostly) is there. Meanwhile, 'Linux' shows up in Caja under Devices.

If I manually umount /media/sgage/Linux1, /media/sgage/Linux remains, but Caja shows 'Linux' under devices as unmounted.

This same exact scenario occurs with the other partition on the drive, and it also occurs with USB sticks.

I've never seen anything like it - anyone have a clue?

TIA...

Yep, with Mate and gnome2 before that, Mate will also occasionally do this with the optical drive if you have one, Mate also throws up an error message when you insert a blank CD if the optical drive is not already mounted, I fixed that at one point but can't remember what I did.

Openbox using gvfs though hasn't been doing it though, it's been remarkably trouble-free about mounting/unmounting properly.

Offline

#6 2017-12-05 22:06:24

greenjeans
Member
Registered: 2017-04-07
Posts: 424  
Website

Re: Strange mounting problem with USB drive

sgage wrote:

I've really got to give OpenBox a real try one of these days. I've tried it a couple of times, but didn't have the patience to really give it a chance. Maybe I'll try VuuDo - I've got a spare partition at the moment...

Awesome, I hope you like it! Will actually be uploading version 1.0.6 (in Openbox only) hopefully tomorrow as i'm almost done with it. Not any huge changes from 1.0.5 but will have new Palemoon (27.6.1) and newest Obmenu-generator script (.84) new linux desktop files perl module (.25) and more.


https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal 64 and 32 bit Devuan-based openbox and mate systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

Offline

#7 2017-12-06 03:41:05

sgage
Member
Registered: 2016-12-01
Posts: 111  

Re: Strange mounting problem with USB drive

I should have some time this week to check it out. I put 'vuudo' in my search engine, and got all sorts of Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Greenjeans hits. Pretty wild - I grew up with that stuff back in the late 50's/early 60's. Why, it seems like just yesterday! Not.

-sgage

greenjeans wrote:
sgage wrote:

I've really got to give OpenBox a real try one of these days. I've tried it a couple of times, but didn't have the patience to really give it a chance. Maybe I'll try VuuDo - I've got a spare partition at the moment...

Awesome, I hope you like it! Will actually be uploading version 1.0.6 (in Openbox only) hopefully tomorrow as i'm almost done with it. Not any huge changes from 1.0.5 but will have new Palemoon (27.6.1) and newest Obmenu-generator script (.84) new linux desktop files perl module (.25) and more.

Offline

Board footer