The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-22 19:24:53

fungus
Website

Bitmask the open-free vpn

I don't know if anyone has ever tried this https://bitmask.net/en/install/linux
The historical development for this can better be seen here, their parent site https://leap.se/

It used to work before in Devuan but there seems to be a new version that have impossible dependencies.  The past version 0.92 would work on and off on Debian depending on how dependencies on Debian changed by upgrades.  Now the new one 0.10 doesn't work on Devuan.

What makes their standalone work then?  Of course the instructions to do a system install via their debian based repository may work for debian but I don't see why wouldn't python scripts work on Devuan.  When it does work it is great.

If anyone who understands such things better has an interest in this and can throw some light it would be appreciated.  Maybe if we can make it work here as well we can tell them to add a devuan repository.  I think their jessie-sid and ubuntu repositories are identical.

#2 2017-10-23 05:36:37

Connectorivity

Re: Bitmask the open-free vpn

Looks great! I do have a small concern, as this is Devuan, meant to be hyper-secure. I see no warrant canary on bitmask's site. Just thought I'd bring that up, thanks for finding it!

#3 2017-10-23 10:59:35

fungus
Website

Re: Bitmask the open-free vpn

I by no means endorse any of them, and you do have a valid concern and everyone should.
WC has been discontinued since 5/16, so all those who do have one it is what they declared back then, or earlier.
TProject never had one, one of their developers did a personal one, and she fled the US to avoid the harassment she was getting for her involvement in tor and leap (bitmask is leap).  On the other hand bitmask is code, the individual vendors of the service should be of concern.  2 which appear to be US based do have a WC.  The rest are out of the US, as is leap.se

There was a good discussion on TP's site on the importance and the not so absolute importance of birds. 

It is the struggle that always matters, not the absolute outcome of a battle.  In lack of massively accepted alternatives it is best to support the little we do have believing in a good direction.

A drawback of being a us citizen is that you can be abducted (in 98% of the world) and brought back to "base".  The rest of us can tweet freely.  Now that is a fallacy in itself.  Nobody had heard of snowden till he was persecuted.

Board footer