The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2024-02-19 18:43:57

GNUser

Re: [SOLVED] GNU/Linux laptop as router, vpn router, or wifi repeater

Hello again, mtbvfr. The nmcli command (see reply #25 just above) made the "handle_probe_req: send failed" messages disappear on my ThinkPad X230 with Devuan Daedalus smile Now the hotspot created with skinny-create-ap is completely stable.

I updated the script in reply #18 to include the nmcli command. I will go ahead and mark the thread as "Solved" (almost 7 years later--haha).

P.S. Please let me know if the nmcli command fixes things on your Lenovo L540. As for your other laptops, I'll leave those for you and other users to troubleshoot. I suggest scrutinizing the wifi hardware (not all hardware supports AP mode), excluding interference from network managers, and excluding interference from other software (e.g., rfkill).

Last edited by GNUser (2024-02-19 18:44:50)

#27 2024-02-20 12:31:45

mtbvfr

Hi Bruno,

NetworkManager is installed and running when I experience the handle_probe_req: send failed issue.

If I run nmcli dev set wlan0 managed no, how do I undo the effects of this when I've finished using the Access Point or does the command sudo pkill hostapd; sudo pkill -f 'dnsmasq.*/tmp/dnsmasq.conf' take care of this?

Is wicd a viable alternative to NetworkManager?

I will try testing tomorrow.

Thanks, MTB.

#28 2024-02-21 04:10:38

GNUser

If I run nmcli dev set wlan0 managed no, how do I undo the effects of this when I've finished using the Access Point

With nmcli dev set wlan0 managed yes

or does the command sudo pkill hostapd; sudo pkill -f 'dnsmasq.*/tmp/dnsmasq.conf' take care of this?

No.

Regarding wicd, its last stable release was in 2016 and last merge request from 2019. You could try it but the software is unmaintained.

#29 2024-02-25 21:17:36

mtbvfr

Hi Bruno et al,

The nmcli command fixes things on the Lenovo L540.

After I enter my sudo password for running v2.3 of skinny-create-ap, there is no more output in the Terminal app. It simply returns to the Command Prompt.

Thanks! again, MTB.

#30 2024-03-12 19:23:18

GNUser

Just a quick follow-up regarding haveged.

TL;DR version:
    With modern linux kernels (5.6 or later) there is no need to install haveged on a GNU/Linux box being used as a wireless router.

Detailed version:
    Entropy is needed for fast communication between wireless router and wireless clients (due to wpa2 cryptography operations). It used to be recommended to run cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail on the router and, if result was less than 1000, to install haveged and run it as a daemon to augment router's entropy pool.
    Turns out that linux 5.6 incorporated a haveged-inspired mechanism that generates entropy extremely quickly (~200 MiB/s), making the haveged daemon obsolete for this use case (fast entropy generation). Also, result of cat /proc/sys/kernel/random/entropy_avail is now meaningless (the command always returns "256").

Ref: https://github.com/jirka-h/haveged/issues/57

P.S. Would the forum moderator kindly delete haveged from Reply #18 (two places) and Reply #21 (one place)? I tried to delete it myself, but was denied ("You do not have permission to access this page").

Last edited by GNUser (2024-03-12 19:31:23)

Board footer