The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 Re: Devuan » Will Devuan ever stop being based on Debian? » 2018-05-27 18:56:08

siva wrote:

Debian's implementation of systemd is fine

So why so many complaints on #systemd Freenode from Debianers?

#2 Re: Devuan » Will Devuan ever stop being based on Debian? » 2018-05-27 17:10:56

siva wrote:
mt12345 wrote:

Systemd itself is not a mess. It's only Debian where it got totally messed up.
Fedora or Arch distributions don't really need systemd-free versions because systemd in these distros are implemented properly.

lmfao.


Yes you are right, systemd IS a mess.
But 99.99% Archers didn't switch to OpenRC, and remaining 0.01% did it because they HEARD systemd is pure evil.
And I bet they heard it from Debian users.

See also: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=120652 (I'm guessing you won't read it.)

Actually I did read it.
Very good post, confirming what I mentioned before: Debian camp screwed up.
I don't care what NASA uses nowadays, back in the day they chose YellowDogLinux, the worst distro ever for PPC machines.

#4 Re: Devuan » Will Devuan ever stop being based on Debian? » 2018-05-27 09:56:33

I agree systemd design is bad. It's against unix philosophy actually.
I'm just trying to point out the fact that Debian developers sc***ed up implementing it and in effect Debian users started to hate Mr Poettering who's responsible for systemd design but not for Debian devs poor job!

My favourite distro is Slackware, simple and straightforward, free from systemd, pulseaudio and other nonsense but unfortunately I can't run my favourite  programs on it.

#5 Re: Devuan » Will Devuan ever stop being based on Debian? » 2018-05-27 01:28:59

Ron wrote:

Will the time ever come where systemd will become an even bigger entwined mess (than it is now) that Devuan would simply have to no longer be based on Debian, but become completely independent? Or for any other reason? I'm mostly just asking for curiosity's sake.  smile

Systemd itself is not a mess. It's only Debian where it got totally messed up.
Fedora or Arch distributions don't really need systemd-free versions because systemd in these distros are implemented properly.
So, the chances are, one day project Devuan will no longer be needed.
I use whatever system works for me, for the time of writing this it's Devuan and (systemd-based) Archlinux.

#7 Re: Devuan Derivatives » Vuu-do and Miyo why isn't Alt-f Alt-e not working? » 2018-01-31 01:20:49

greenjeans wrote:

Alt+f has been re-mapped to open the file manager, easy enough to change it if you like. I use F on that one because it's easy to remember that way F(ile manager), T for terminal etc.

most people would use WIN instead of ALT to avoid overlapping with MENU, I use Shift+WIN for launching apps to avoid even more conflicts when switching window managers:

S+W+Return = terminal
S+W+b = browser
S+W+f = files
S+W+e = editor
W+r = run...
W+l = lock screen
W+p = dynamic menu
W+0 = decorations on/off
W+x = close window
S+W+r = reboot
S+W+p = power-off

#8 Re: Devuan Derivatives » Vuu-do Linux! *New Openbox-64 iso's (1.0.7) up 2-02-18*!! » 2018-01-30 03:07:57

greenjeans wrote:

will probably be uploading some updated iso's in fact this week, with the meltdown-patched kernel and some other updates and a few bug-fixes.

is my kernel patched?

#1 SMP Debian 3.16.51-3+deb8u1 (2018-01-08)

#9 Re: Devuan Derivatives » Vuu-do Linux! *New Openbox-64 iso's (1.0.7) up 2-02-18*!! » 2018-01-27 21:57:34

greenjeans wrote:

New Vuu-do Openbox-64 versions uploaded [...] hope y'all enjoy it! smile

enjoying  vuudo-64-ob-minimal.
I ve been using linux since 2004 but for the first time I didnt have to remove or replace anything after installing from liveCD.
just added my favourite web browser and media player.
no scan/print/chat/office/pulseaudio/qt or other rubbish but still fully functional 'desktop environment' with handful of proper tools.
thank you for your work. planning ascii edition?

Board footer

Forum Software