The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-02-22 20:35:02

golinux
Administrator

Re: Devuan 2.0 ASCII Beta is here!

greenjeans wrote:
fungus wrote:

gksu gksudo will be removed from debian repositories.

Well good lord, does the stupid never end?

It stops here.  We can fork those those functions.  big_smile

#27 2018-02-22 20:57:18

mckaygerhard
Website

in debian the problem in display managers was gone away some time ago now its a DEVUAN problemn, was gone puff be update men!

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2018-02-22 20:58:30)

#28 2018-02-22 20:59:55

mckaygerhard
Website

golinux wrote:

If it's a Debian problem the bug report(s) should go upstream not here.

be update men! in debian problem was gone away many time ago,  its now a serious problem in devuan due in debian only the interface have that problems, but in devuan problems are in the keyboard, in the display manager and also in the user environment

#29 2018-02-22 21:57:49

golinux
Administrator

mckaygerhard wrote:
golinux wrote:

If it's a Debian problem the bug report(s) should go upstream not here.

be update men!

I have no idea what that means but next time try (wo)men.

in debian problem was gone away many time ago,  its now a serious problem in devuan due in debian only the interface have that problems, but in devuan problems are in the keyboard, in the display manager and also in the user environment

You are not the only one using a language other than English.  If it were a problem in Devuan many more people would be bringing it to our attention.

#30 2018-02-22 22:32:25

mckaygerhard
Website

golinux wrote:

If it were a problem in Devuan many more people would be bringing it to our attention.

two users more reported with mi in git, no attention! also report a bug here are a pain! umm lest see, how many novice users report at bugtracker? lest taking seriously, here in the forum we are more advanced users... currently i solved as posted but for my others users please! they are only users not computer avocates! just only want to use it!

#31 2018-02-23 00:22:59

golinux
Administrator

yeti wrote:
golinux wrote:

You are not the only one using a language other than English.  If it were a problem in Devuan many more people would be bringing it to our attention.

I have multiple Debian2s which have Grub, LightDM and XFCE in German.
What's the problem to test?

The rant starts here: https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=7681#p7681

#32 2018-02-23 00:48:15

sgage

greenjeans wrote:
fungus wrote:

Great times, tough for sure, but challenge drives innovation and Devuan is the tip of the spear. wink

Amen, brother!

#33 2018-02-23 09:35:17

Geoff 42

To get round problems with pkexec I use the small wrapper program in C which Didier Kryn posted on [DNG], which looks like pkexec but runs sudo for commands or udevil for mount/umount requests. udevil and ssh-askpass also need to be installed and sudo.conf set-up.

https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?pid=430#p430

https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/2 … ea.en.html

Geoff

#34 2018-02-23 11:49:45

fsmithred
Administrator

@yeti:

What kind of results do you get with the language selector in lightdm with xfce? If you have at least two languages configured in the system, can you log out and switch language at the login screen? For me, it does not work correctly in devuan or debian (tested yesterday with a fresh Stretch install).

If I select a language at the login screen and then login, I don't get that language. If I then reboot and login, I might get the language I selected last time, whether or not I selected a language this time. LXDM, on the other hand, seems to work just fine.

#35 2018-02-24 21:05:24

greenjeans
Website

golinux wrote:
greenjeans wrote:
fungus wrote:

You freakin ROCK Golinux! wink

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#36 2018-02-24 21:10:17

golinux
Administrator

greenjeans wrote:
golinux wrote:
greenjeans wrote:

You freakin ROCK Golinux! wink

No. The Devuan team rocks!

#37 2018-02-24 21:45:41

mckaygerhard
Website

we cannot fork all that are "eating" by the systemd monster! we must thing in less work due are directed respect the amount of developers/manpowers

in the case of gksu, due not to use GUI applications as root but to use su and the command line instead.

For those GUID programs (stupid, admin its for console, GUI oinly for user level) In the long term pkexec will be used but not very easy to use at the moment.

pkexec allows an authorized user to execute PROGRAM as another user. If username is not specified, then the program will be executed as the administrative super user, root.

FOR NOW SUDO HANDLE DIRECTLY THE RIGHTS FOR XAUTHORITY.. but runs app as root user are stupid.. there's a userspace for taht, there's the main reason of the dissapear of gksu

#38 2018-02-25 20:40:33

greenjeans
Website

mckaygerhard wrote:

we cannot fork all that are "eating" by the systemd monster! we must thing in less work due are directed respect the amount of developers/manpowers

What's this "we" stuff? Are you part of the Devuan development team? You certainly don't speak for me, i'm quite capable of forking over systemd. wink

mckaygerhard wrote:

FOR NOW SUDO HANDLE DIRECTLY THE RIGHTS FOR XAUTHORITY.. but runs app as root user are stupid.. there's a userspace for taht, there's the main reason of the dissapear of gksu

Well I don't use sudo in the first place, nor pkexec, giving a user any sort of admin rights is a silly security risk IMO,  it defeats the whole purpose of having separate user/admin accounts, but whatever works for you....personally I use su for everything, but I will always give people who use my project the option of using sudo if they like. Gksu WILL be forked and that's what i'll be using.

That "we can't" crap is for those who blithely accept the status quo even if it's garbageware. In case you hadn't noticed, Devuan is a can-do distro. Might want to take that defeatist attitude elsewhere, Redhats love that stuff, i'm sure they'd welcome your compliance with open arms.

Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

#39 2018-03-02 21:46:22

cynwulf

There is a simple solition to all of your gksu and policykit problems:  stop running X11 graphical shit as root...

$ man sudo
$ man su

#40 2018-03-02 22:02:03

golinux
Administrator

cynwulf wrote:

There is a simple solution to all of your gksu and policykit problems:  stop running X11 graphical shit as root...

$ man sudo
$ man su

What about choice then???  I use gksu a lot in X11.  All my launchers in the panel and in Thunar use it.  It would break my workflow not to have it.  I WILL find a way to continue use it.

#41 2018-03-02 22:28:56

cynwulf

I've just no idea why you'd need to run an X11 file manager as root?  Can't see how it would effect "workflow", can't see the scenario where "work" involves being in a file manager as root...  what are you doing?

This is the same bogus argument presented by the typical foaming at the mouth "I MUST run X11 as root and need to login via GDM" bollocks...  you and I have seen this rubbish countless times.

Last edited by cynwulf (2018-03-02 22:30:29)

#42 2018-03-02 22:46:03

golinux
Administrator

That's how I move files into /usr/share/themes/ or /usr/share/icons or even make quick edits in a config file here and there. In Thunar I can open any file or folder as root with a custom action.  If you knew how I type, you'd understand why . . .

Rant on . . .

#43 2018-03-03 13:43:15

fsmithred
Administrator

If/when gksu goes away, you can edit the Exec line in the .desktop file to use xterm. For example:

Exec=xterm -e 'su -c synaptic'

An xterm will pop up to let you enter the root password.

#44 2018-03-03 14:29:53

golinux
Administrator

Thanks . . . but I can't even read xterm - font and colors are impossible.  I suppose I could just switch to xfce terminal in that launcher.

#45 2018-03-03 16:30:38

catprints

If you create .Xresources in your home folder and paste in http://slexy.org/view/s20jQyk0Nm code you will get xterm the way you like or at least changeable easily. Requires reboot or logout to take effect. I find it much nicer.

"The obstacle is the path."

#46 2018-03-03 19:52:30

bbatten

Here's a one liner that I paste into a file in my home directory, which I source when I want to use it:

xterm -fn 10x20 -g 80x54+616+28 -fg black -bg white -cr DarkGray -bc -sb -rightbar -sl 500 -aw -rw

The "-g 80x54..." bit sets the number of lines to stretch from top to bottom in my monitor, given the font specification. Change it to suit.

... or you could also just define an alias:

alias myxterm='xterm -fn 10x20 -g 80x54+616+28 -fg black -bg white -cr DarkGray -bc -sb -rightbar -sl 500 -aw -rw'

(No thread drift here, right?)

Last edited by bbatten (2018-03-03 19:57:31)

#47 2018-03-03 23:17:23

greenjeans
Website

cynwulf wrote:

I've just no idea why you'd need to run an X11 file manager as root?  Can't see how it would effect "workflow", can't see the scenario where "work" involves being in a file manager as root...  what are you doing?

Developing. I use this function constantly, it's super-easy to add/delete/modify/destroy-system-cruft when "Open as admin" is right there in the context menu, it absolutely speeds my workflow....I really don't understand why anyone would NOT make this available to themselves, if you don't trust yourself to be root on your own machine then I don't know what to say to that. wink

Trust me on this CW, it helps a LOT. Have had lots of people thank me in fact for making it so accessible in my systems. Possibly you and others use their machine differently, please don't discount this effective tool because you personally do it a different way.

#48 2018-03-03 23:33:39

yeti

greenjeans wrote:

(((...))), if you don't trust yourself to be root on your own machine then I don't know what to say to that. wink

I trust me in a shell but not separated from the system by a GUI.
Well... maybe better saying: I don't trust GUIs.

<πš‹πš˜πšπš’ πš˜πš—πš•πš˜πšŠπš='πšπš˜πšŒπšžπš–πšŽπš—πš.πš‹πš˜πšπš’.πš’πš—πš—πšŽπš›π™·πšƒπ™Όπ™»="π™³πš’πšœπšŠπš‹πš•πšŽ π™Ήπš‚!";'>
π”“π”©π”’π”žπ”°π”’ π”©π”’π”žπ”³π”’ 𝔢𝔬𝔲𝔯 π”£π”žπ”²π”©π”±π”° 𝔦𝔫 𝔱π”₯𝔒 𝔰𝔒𝔠𝔱𝔦𝔬𝔫 π”Ÿπ”’π”©π”¬π”΄ π”žπ”«π”‘ 𝔑𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔣𝔬𝔯𝔀𝔒𝔱 𝔱𝔬 π”²π”«π”°π”²π”Ÿπ”°π” π”―π”¦π”Ÿπ”’!

#49 2018-03-05 21:48:02

greenjeans
Website

yeti wrote:
greenjeans wrote:

(((...))), if you don't trust yourself to be root on your own machine then I don't know what to say to that. wink

I trust me in a shell but not separated from the system by a GUI.
Well... maybe better saying: I don't trust GUIs.

I think some of the people here and everywhere in the 'nix world that possess a lot of technical acumen and skill with computers, tend to forget that not everyone uses their computer that way, and not everyone develops exclusively for geeks like us, lol.

One of the primary reasons I do it, is for friends, family, and people in my community who don't have the money (for the dozenth time) to take their machine to a PC repair place and have it wiped (for the dozenth time) to get rid of all the garbage that has destroyed windoze (again) only to have the tech load freakin load windoze on it (again). The definition of insanity being doing the same thing again and again expecting a different result.

Most of these people don't have the time to learn what we know, they just want a simple GUI interface to everything, drag-n-drop functionality, a system of doing things they are basically familiar with and a small learning curve.

So that is always uppermost in my mind while developing. And so it stands to reason that while developing I should do as much as possible with GUI's myself, so as to constantly be able to test and verify that these systems work as intended, and if they DO get interested in learning more about linux and want to start experimenting themselves, it's very easy with the tools I have provided and is robust and well-tested.

I am already really pushing the envelope trying to convert windoze refugees to linux using Openbox, lol, I don't want to scare them off completely by taking away their GUI's.

#50 2018-03-06 09:25:36

Panopticon

fsmithred wrote:

If/when gksu goes away, you can edit the Exec line in the .desktop file to use xterm. For example:

Exec=xterm -e 'su -c synaptic'

An xterm will pop up to let you enter the root password.

When i installed i did not enable the root login and rely on sudo, so that command didnt work for me, does that seem right?

I instead use this command and it works.

Exec=xterm -e 'sudo -i synaptic'

Board footer