The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-08-09 12:43:23

mckaygerhard
Website

Re: Utf8 problems in X vs console for file names and others

the openbox menu its generated by system, not depends of the user languaje.. that's why openbox menu are still in englysh..  i had been propose a method to dinamicaly update the openbox menu on each user login (i guess was  adopted in debian but does not take the user env, only the system environment variables)

so if the env of system main languaje are in englhis, the openbox menu always be english, even if user choose another..

about live-config, the modifications must be made in the pre/post scrits of the display manager, by live-config, see the scripts for gdm (arrgg As if the gdm were the only one), i can see some distributions (olders very olders) use the ">>" to setup the post/pre scripts of display managers from the live scripts... of course original files must be backup and restored in target install

with this recomendations you can solve the situation easyle!

#27 2017-08-09 16:43:34

fsmithred
Administrator

The live-config problem in Refracta is already solved. I'm more concerned with the fact that Devuan doesn't use a display manager with a language selector. If lxdm can be fixed more easily than lightdm, then I want to know more about that. Maybe we can make it happen.

#28 2017-08-09 17:01:28

mckaygerhard
Website

well lightdm offeers languaje selector but does not set complety or in proper way..  lxdm does! and adoption change its not so hard! as i said, i foun only one problem, the screen scalation in some GPU with few megas of video ram.. but today for modern machines its not and issue..  in that case, minimal isos can use slim.. and normal isos with Xfce4 desktop can use lxdm..

but this its a partial solution, slim and lightdm can adapt a patch as i cited.

lxdm can be build with GTK2 and GTK3, but GTK2 are default and the recomended due stability.. GTK3 are more memory hungry (very few bytes but its) and less stable due complicated implementations in my xperience

lxdm has a couple of patches in debian that are mandatory and some few in trunk in upstream.. autologin are very basic, has keyboard and langauje selectors, keyboard selector dont work very well.. at least for me..

lxdm depends on consolekit, and consolekit are pretty old, https://github.com/ConsoleKit2/ConsoleKit2 its the fork and seems this can be a problem in future if lxdm are adpted, but as i can see slim are also consolekit depends

i test the refracta flavor and the installer are very ugly and need knowledg from user.. also refracta live seem need too many script tune to made a live! so i dont understand why combination of live-config and refracta in devuan , also refracta seem does not support preinstaled configs, such as debian instalers do with a simple file inside the medium!

#29 2017-08-09 17:51:44

fsmithred
Administrator

There are three ways to make a live iso in devuan. live-build was included (and modified) because it's in debian, and devuan has the entire debian repo available (with some unmentionable exceptions). live-sdk was created because some people don't like live-build and because it's related to devuan-sdk and arm-sdk. refractasnapshot was included because it is the easiest way for the average user to create their own live iso. It can be done with just a few clicks. All three of those methods rely on live-boot and live-config.

The pre-configuration in refractainstaller is your running system. However you configured the system, it will be copied to the hard drive.

#30 2017-08-09 18:04:25

golinux
Administrator

@fsmithred . . .  you have the patience of a saint.  Me not so much . . .

@mckaygerhard . . . your complaints, criticisms and demands are a constant drain on this shared forum space and its inhabitants.  If you want to continue to be a part of this community, please adjust your attitude and choose your words more carefully.

#31 2017-08-09 18:16:17

mckaygerhard
Website

fsmithred wrote:

refractasnapshot was included because it is the easiest way for the average user to create their own live iso. It can be done with just a few clicks. All three of those methods rely on live-boot and live-config.

ok, another question, umm but the live installer in graphicall mode uses the refracta installer, why use it and dont the normal debian?

The pre-configuration in refractainstaller is your running system. However you configured the system, it will be copied to the hard drive.

umm i not taking about that.. its hard to me to explain due in not english speaker.. but dont care..  the refracta as you said only copies the system to the disc.. the debian live installer can read a preconfig file and made "alterations" (that its not same as modifications)

@fsmithred, do you plain adopt the lxdm package in devuan? or to use as default display manager in your live isos?

Last edited by mckaygerhard (2017-08-09 18:17:22)

#32 2017-08-09 18:41:37

fsmithred
Administrator

The live isos use refracta tools because the devs liked it and asked me to make the official live isos using my methods.

I think the debian-installer should be included in the live isos, and we're working on that.

I will consider using lxdm in Refracta. Whether or not it becomes the default in Devuan is not up to me alone. I will advocate for using a dm that has a language selector. If lxdm can do the job, I will advocate for that. If lxdm needs some patching, I'm hoping that you will volunteer to make those changes and maintain the package.

#33 2017-08-09 20:30:29

mckaygerhard
Website

all my patches were merged in debian! the lasted 0.5.3 package seems pretty good and stable for usage..

about lxdm currently: the git web interface seem down currently but last git commit was a week ago, the last commits are only related to gtk3, i can help to mantain lxdm, but i noted that all the methods assumed git and devuan sdk.. and i not have fixed internet connection.. (i do only two net command, dget and dput, the rest must be offline and simple)
so i can send patches or you can trak my (soon) devuan focused repository at http://200.82.144.73/dokuwiki when published ... for now you can tell me what we can do ..
currently i think you can use the lxdm package as is.. i can send a amd64/x86 builds and dsc/orig files to yoy if need, but there others bugs in devuan that also have my attention..

#34 2017-08-09 23:25:36

fsmithred
Administrator

I'll do more testing with the version that's currently in ascii/ceres. I already got the source for it and can look it over. (no guarantee that I'll understand it.) I can try to import the git source into git.devuan.org later. Let me know when your repo is up. Thanks.

Board footer