The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-10 07:08:14

stanz

Booting into fresh snapshot ok, but - no working usb's.

Still reproducing problem...Not sure where the issue occurs...yet, so -

- Grabbed Refracta snapshot/installer - both cl & gui - from ceres repos.
- Using ascii netinstall (for now wink ) - choosing beowulf repos.

- No errors shown, creating the snapshot. (used 'refractasnapshot -d' also)
- No slim login (as expected), loads right into openbox - desktop/background/tint2 - easy & good.
================
Problem starts here:
This is where I find - usb (keyboard, wireless/wired mouse) Not working.
It looks like a good desktop screenshot.

For some reason, I pulled network cable out, and saw cmst icon change to 'disconnected'. yikes

I then pulled out & replugged usb, to 'keyboard, and wired/wireless mouses', smile
..Then they worked!

Missing packages??
Wrong person in front of screen??

Anyone else come across this...issue?

Last edited by stanz (2019-06-19 20:30:40)

miyoisomix.i2p

#2 2019-04-10 09:58:20

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Booting into fresh snapshot ok, but - no working usb's.

I haven't used snapshot with slim recently. Check /etc/slim/slim.conf (I think) for autologin settings and also look to see if /etc/profile.d/zz-(something) exists. That file, whatever its name is, contains the startx command to allow autologin during a live session. It should be removed from an installation if it's causing unwanted login.

For monitoring usb connect/disconnect, I like to run (as root) tail -f /var/log/messages

I might have a better answer in a couple days when my spirit body catches up with my physical body. I think it's still a few thousand miles away wondering wtf just happened. (Just back from AMS a few hours ago.)

#3 2019-06-19 21:10:22

stanz

I'll sweep the dust off this post again.. tongue

fsr wrote:

For monitoring usb connect/disconnect, I like to run (as root) tail -f /var/log/messages

I can only 'run' that - After, usb reconnect...(with NO working usb kbd/mouse prior.)
My ol` trusty PS/2 kbd did have NumLock lite on!!

I'm installing a "minimal" Miyo...using a "minimal" beowulf install (no standard items checked), which might be closer to a Voo-Du !?  yikes

I'm feeling - I'm missing a package, of some usb type.

Even following dev1fanboys minimal instructs...leaves me kbd/mouse-less. sad

I might hav`ta abort this way, and just install....more.
TIA,
asta

miyoisomix.i2p

#4 2019-06-19 21:22:49

Dutch_Master

I don't think usb per-se, more like something in the standard config of a package somewhere. It's like the mechanism of reporting USB events to the kernel does not take into account the fact there could be USB devices already connected to the system, which are then only picked up after they've been re-inserted. Find the culprit script, edit to rectify and presto, you should be done roll

#5 2019-06-20 09:55:35

MiyoLinux

If I recall, you're using --no-install-recommends to build your system? If so, it's possible that something is getting left out. I'll take a stab in the dark...

For Miyo, I'm selective when I use recommends and don't use them. I don't know if this will help, but I've just done a quick search for usb in Miyo-Modern (ASCII version), and here are the results...not sure if this will help or not! tongue

dan@miyolinux:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep usb
libusb-0.1-4:amd64				install
libusb-1.0-0:amd64				install
libusbmuxd4:amd64				install
usbmuxd						install
usbutils				        install

According to the Synaptic Package Manager, these additional items (apart from those above) are also installed when searching for usb...

libudisk2-0
udisks2

If installing the first set listed, don't include the :amd64. For example, just install it (them) as...

apt install libusb-0.1-4

Also, when I install xorg, I just install xorg and allow whatever it pulls in to be pulled in.

Now I'm going to tell on myself. While playing with live-build in Debian, I could get a finished .iso; however, when I booted it live, I had no mouse response or keyboard response. Just like you described, the numlock light was on...as was the light on the bottom of the mouse. Yet, neither worked. After comparing the .iso packages with an installed system, I found only two differences...

1. I was using Slim. I changed to lightdm.
2. I was missing this particular package xserver-xorg-input-libinput

After changing from Slim to LightDM and adding xserver-xorg-input-libinput, the live .iso then had an active mouse and keyboard! yikes  Unfortunately, I had changed them both at the same time, so I'm not sure which one fixed the issue. If you don't have xserver-xorg-input-libinput installed, I would try it to see if it helped...and yes, that package is installed on Miyo-Modern ASCII...plus, Miyo-Modern ASCII uses slim, so I can only assume that the  xserver-xorg-input-libinput package is what made the difference. smile

Not sure if that will help or not!

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2019-06-20 23:43:18)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#6 2019-06-26 20:49:54

stanz

Thx Dutch_Master...I didn't consider any "config" file, creating this issue.
Reason being, I don't go that deep in my tweaking. I leave Refracta's "system" files untouched also.
I want a "working" snapshot and install - before I change to much. tongue

MiyoLinux wrote:

If I recall, you're using --no-install-recommends to build your system?

Yes!
With caution tho, ..paying attention to the output - so if I notice a pkg being left out, I can add it - IF I know I need it.
Ok, running dpkg command from that live-disk..
I've got 1 additional pkg..

usb.ids			install

And, I don't have these installed, from the usb search:

libudisks2-0
udisks2

Live usb search results:

connman, console-setup, discover-data, dmidecode, firmware-linux-free, firmware-misc-nonfree,
hardinfo, hdparm, libdiscover2, libimobiledevice6, libusb-0.1-4, libusb-1.0-0, libusbmuxd4,
refractainstaller-base & gui, usb-ids, usbmuxd, usbutils, xorriso.
MiyoLinux wrote:

1. I was using Slim. I changed to lightdm.
2. I was missing this particular package xserver-xorg-input-libinput

I'm using Slim also, and this package IS installed:  xserver-xorg-input-libinput
I think I'm left with adding these 2 pkgs, next snapshot:

libudisks2-0
udisks2

And if that don't change anything, I'll make another with LightDM or no DM  yikes

Miyo wrote:

Not sure if that will help or not! smile

I see this all, as a big help!  smile
I'll post results soon...
asta ~

Last edited by stanz (2019-07-14 16:22:25)

miyoisomix.i2p

#7 2019-07-13 22:19:48

stanz

sorry for time passed...
I have NO change in this problem.
All packages offered - installed.
Switched to lightdm - works fine.
Still no usb/wired - mouse or laptop keyboard function.

Running snapshot on cdrom with... a "USB external drive"! roll

With desktop loaded, disk spins down - I remove usb to either wired/wireless mouse...
When plugged back in --disk spins up --soon after, cursor moves with mouse! yikes

I gave up using no-install-recommends during build.
I've included all generic drivers with install.
Still choose none of "Select & Install Software", with install. (guess that'll change too!?)

Again...Thx for the assist!  I'll be adjusting the method of my build.
asta... smile

miyoisomix.i2p

Board footer