The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-03-15 18:35:45

fsmithred
Administrator

Re: Announcement Regarding MiyoLinux

Is it such as the freedom of America all heard?

The relevant freedom is that anyone can sue anyone at any time for anything.

Miyo, save root's history and apt history on your builds. That should contain a record of what packages were installed and what customizations you made. Someone (not necessarily you or me) could use that to create a live-sdk blend or otherwise reproduce your efforts if/when you retire. I'm doing the same for Refracta.

I'm glad you're sticking around.

#27 2019-03-15 19:41:55

Ogis1975

fsmithred wrote:

The relevant freedom is that anyone can sue anyone at any time for anything.

Well said. That is what I wanted to say.

#28 2019-03-15 19:44:31

Ogis1975

Hello, MiyoLinux. I understand perfectly well what you wanted to say. But I will not change my opinion.

#29 2019-03-15 20:00:00

MiyoLinux

Ogis1975 wrote:

Hello, MiyoLinux. I understand perfectly well what you wanted to say. But I will not change my opinion.

Okay. Have a good day. smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#30 2019-03-15 21:58:01

golinux
Administrator

@Miyo . . . That was quite a scare you gave us.  Welcome back.  big_smile

(golinux does a happy dance)

#31 2019-03-16 00:32:24

stanz

fsmithred wrote:

...Someone (not necessarily you or me) could use that to create a live-sdk blend or otherwise reproduce your efforts if/when you retire. I'm doing the same for Refracta.

yikes  I swear.. I only did that once! lol

...I'm off to do my own 'happy dance' tongue

#32 2019-03-16 16:08:40

MiyoLinux

I want to take a moment to thank everyone who has commented...and I apologize if I have caused any confusion...that wasn't my intent. There are several people that commented whom I didn't respond to directly. I would like to do that now...

To catprints: Thank you. I have always appreciated your input on any subject. Thank you for taking the time to say what you did.

To Panopticon: Thank you also. I appreciate the fact that you understood the issue. Take care!

To stroudmw: Thank you for using MiyoLinux and for your support!

To siva: What can I say to what you wrote? All that I can say is thank you. Indeed...Miyo is a philosophy, and I've often said that elsewhere. It's an honor to know that you see that too. Thank you my friend. smile

To ChuangTzu: Though I don't know you personally, I have always admired what you have to say. You are much like a wise sage. Thank you for taking the time to help and encourage me.

To fsmithred: Thank you. You've put up with way more from me than any one man should. You're a hero of mine. Thank you sir!

To golinux: You know more than you should. All that I can say is thank you.

To stanz: Thank you friend...and thank you for your support. smile

With that said, and though I've already responded to w3, I want to take a moment to thank you again. Your post was incredibly moving to me...I don't know what to say to what you shared other than to say thank you. I never imagined that what I did had that kind of impact. Thank you so very much.

Here's to the future. smile

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#33 2019-05-23 03:31:20

01101001b

w3 wrote:

If it wasn't for Miyo maybe I wouldn't be using Devuan. [...] Here in my little one I have converted several users to Linux, thanks to Miyo.

Exactly my situation and feelings. I'm here at Dev1 thanks to Miyo and during this time I've been helping to a couple of people to learn and adopt Linux using Miyo.

I'd spent weeks trying to get Compiz to work in my system to no avail (not for fun. I needed it for a friend with visual impairments). I've tried nearly a dozen of distros looking for to attain the same goal. No luck.

On the other hand, systemd is not my cup of tea and my experience with Devuan hadn't proved quite promising back then (rather unstable, no lxde).

Clueless, I had a last minute idea: to search for distros based upon Devuan. I flew to Devuan site and searched for an alternative. Among them, Miyo. I remembered I had tried it once, but in a virtual machine with no success, so I forgot it then.

Nevertheless, I went to sourceforge determined to give it a second chance and then I saw it: Miyo-Compiz. I tried it in VirtualBox. First surprise: It booted beautifully. Second surprise: Compiz worked! Even in VB! Couldn't believe it: Two birds with one stone!

MiyoLinux, whether you decide to continue or to drop your distro, you'll have my support. But truth be told: It's a marvelous work. Thank you so much.

#34 2019-05-23 07:18:23

MiyoLinux

01101001b wrote:
w3 wrote:

If it wasn't for Miyo maybe I wouldn't be using Devuan. [...] Here in my little one I have converted several users to Linux, thanks to Miyo.

Exactly my situation and feelings. I'm here at Dev1 thanks to Miyo and during this time I've been helping to a couple of people to learn and adopt Linux using Miyo.

I'd spent weeks trying to get Compiz to work in my system to no avail (not for fun. I needed it for a friend with visual impairments). I've tried nearly a dozen of distros looking for to attain the same goal. No luck.

On the other hand, systemd is not my cup of tea and my experience with Devuan hadn't proved quite promising back then (rather unstable, no lxde).

Clueless, I had a last minute idea: to search for distros based upon Devuan. I flew to Devuan site and searched for an alternative. Among them, Miyo. I remembered I had tried it once, but in a virtual machine with no success, so I forgot it then.

Nevertheless, I went to sourceforge determined to give it a second chance and then I saw it: Miyo-Compiz. I tried it in VirtualBox. First surprise: It booted beautifully. Second surprise: Compiz worked! Even in VB! Couldn't believe it: Two birds with one stone!

MiyoLinux, whether you decide to continue or to drop your distro, you'll have my support. But truth be told: It's a marvelous work. Thank you so much.

Hi 01101001b!

First, thank you so much for the report and encouragement...I can't express how much it means. smile

If I may, let me take a moment to explain something about Virtual Box and MiyoLInux...

Prior to the latest releases, I did try to let it be known that VB Guest Additions weren't installed in MiyoLinux. That's why your previous attempt at using Miyo didn't work in VB. I do apologize, but I chose that route to keep the size of the .iso down. While I realized that leaving them out could cause issues, one of my goals with MiyoLinux was for it to be tested in a live environment on real hardware...so that potential users could see if it worked on their actual hardware. Thank you for not holding that against me. smile

HOWEVER, with the latest releases, the VB Guest Additions are included in the kernel itself...that's why it worked for you this time. wink  So, that success is actually due to the kernel devs.

Secondly, MiyoLinux wouldn't be possible without the developers of Devuan, fsmithred of Refracta, and at this point...Miyo-Compiz would never have happened without the influence of Robert Radac. He was instrumental in challenging me to build it. To be honest, I had never used Compiz before this build. WIthout Robert, it would have never happened. He helped me understand the basics of Compiz. So he is as much of a part of Miyo-Compiz as anyone.

Finally...

Let me say this...and I mean this as humbly as possible...to know that something that I've done (has helped someone) makes all of the time and effort worth it. To know that it has helped someone with vision impairments both humbles me and makes me truly happy. I don't have the best vision in the world myself, so I can somewhat relate. Thank you so much for that report! smile

In closing, yes...MiyoLinux is continuing. I have put out many different versions of MiyoLinux over the last few years. My goal is to see which two (or three) versions of MiyoLinux receive the most downloads and concentrate on continuing them. That doesn't mean that I won't produce another version periodically, but my main focus will be on the versions which are most popular...and I don't like using that word...popular tongue .

Thank you so very much!

Respectfully,
Miyo

#35 2019-05-23 08:41:48

darry1966

Miyo outside of the devuan community is starting to get quite a following and what I have read has only been positive - thanks Miyo for your work.

#36 2019-05-23 21:27:20

MiyoLinux

darry1966 wrote:

Miyo outside of the devuan community is starting to get quite a following and what I have read has only been positive - thanks Miyo for your work.

Thank you darry1966!

#37 2019-05-24 14:36:18

Panopticon

I tried your latest i3 beowulf iso last week Miyo, although i wont keep using it i was just interested to see how it performed and i gotta say it was pretty flawless experience on my machine, everything just worked and i had it on a partition for a week. Although im not a fan of i3, i was able to get a working openbox session going no problems. Anyhow well done on that one. I did have one issue however when updating initramfs and ran into this bug which i didnt quite understand, the system was not an encrypted one so maybe the error is just having the hook in there when updating initramfs for non encrypted setups?

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=901830

Last edited by Panopticon (2019-05-24 14:37:07)

#38 2019-05-24 23:16:04

MiyoLinux

Panopticon wrote:

I tried your latest i3 beowulf iso last week Miyo, although i wont keep using it i was just interested to see how it performed and i gotta say it was pretty flawless experience on my machine, everything just worked and i had it on a partition for a week. Although im not a fan of i3, i was able to get a working openbox session going no problems. Anyhow well done on that one. I did have one issue however when updating initramfs and ran into this bug which i didnt quite understand, the system was not an encrypted one so maybe the error is just having the hook in there when updating initramfs for non encrypted setups?

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo … bug=901830

Hi Panopticon! Thank you for the kind words, and thanks for trying the i3 version even though you're not an i3 fan. smile 

I was aware of the crypt issue when I built the .isos. After installation, I just removed the package after receiving the warning since I don't use encryption anyway. smile

Thanks again!

#39 2019-06-17 08:25:56

wdq

I hope even after all the problems you will rise from the flames and make them cry , Fluxuan got on the waiting list too and i found a few youtubers that are very against that cuz their distros that are very well presented and uses a lot of gibaris are not downloaded so many times
obviously their distro 1.7 gb where others are maximum 1 , there are distros on the distrowatch waiting list even from 2007 and nothing happened but i do hope you will take some rest think about your decision and make everyone happy there are tons of ways to do what you love , I have made Fluxuan because of the love i have for Devuan , even if it is a modified Devuan after my own believes and likes .
Keep you dream alive if i can help with anything , i will send you my personal email and phone no. in a private message .

Board footer