The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-17 12:16:11

Capricornus
Website

Devuan and Libre-Linux: Richard Stallman would be proud of you!

--- EDIT ---

Too Long, Didn't Read version: Debian devs deblob their Linux from proprietary binary blobs, Libre Linux deblob any binary blob.

Longer version:

Debian's Linux and thus Devuan's Linux (at least at the moment I'm writing this) is A Libre Linux made by Debian's developers using Libre-Linux's tools. Source: Wikipedia

Still, the source only mentions proprietary blobs while the one distributed by the F.S.F.L.A. is also about:

"[...] removing any software that does not include its source code, has its source code obfuscated, [...]" source: Wikipedia

thus also non-proprietary blobs. If you aren't sure about why there should be no blobs at all (proprietary or not):

"It is possible for the entire system to be compromised by a malicious firmware, and without the ability to perform a security audit on manufacturer-provided firmware, even an innocent bug could undermine the safety of the running system." source Wikipedia

Hopefully this helps clearing a bit the subject. :)

--- EDIT ---

1 - Disable contrib and non-free software from the apt repositories, either using Synaptic or manually editing /etc/apt/sources.list

2 - Replace Linux with Libre-Linux.

All it takes is to follow the step-by-step instructions on the Freesh repository.
(Thank you Jason Self!)

3 - Reboot and rejoice.

4 - (optional) install and run vrms ("Virtual Richard Matthew Stallman")

I'm currently on Devuan RC2 + Libre Linux 4.9.28-gnu (LTS) and everything runs like a charm.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Capricornus (2017-05-24 17:26:16)

"It isn't necessary to hope, in order to undertake, nor to succeed to persevere." (Anonymous)

#2 2017-05-17 22:09:10

lazlo

Re: Devuan and Libre-Linux: Richard Stallman would be proud of you!

I may do it in a VM or in a later release, but for now I need non-free video drivers do to the fact that my video cards are not recognized by the nouveau kernel module.  The kernel can't load a bit of firmware that I need or something like that.  Although I did go with openjdk-8 for my java install so my server could host a Minecraft world.  It just sucks that I have to taint the kernel to get an X server up and running that is easy to read and doesn't cause headaches or eye strain.

lazlo

#3 2017-05-18 00:35:57

GNUser

Debian's kernel has been free of proprietary blobs since Squeeze--see https://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html and https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … inux-libre. Therefore, unless Devuan puts the blobs back in, it should not be necessary to replace the kernel to have a 100% libre installation. Can one of the devs please confirm whether the default kernel in Devuan has proprietary blobs added downstream from Debian?

P.S. If you want a truly 100% free system, in addition to removing contrib and non-free you also need to replace your proprietary BIOS/UEFI with Libreboot.

Last edited by GNUser (2017-05-18 02:14:53)

#4 2017-05-18 01:41:35

lazlo

On a free software side note, the last patent on the MP3 audio codec has expired without being renewed.  It is now in the public domain.

Source of news:  https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/1 … y_noticed/

lazlo

#5 2017-05-23 21:33:28

Capricornus
Website

GNUser wrote:

Debian's kernel has been free of proprietary blobs since Squeeze [...] it should not be necessary to replace the kernel to have a 100% libre installation.

I've read about that, but it's not just about proprietary blobs: it's also about obfuscated code (i.e. binary blobs) which I consider as closed source.
As far as I know (but I might be wrong) that has not been removed, thus my choice about Libre-Linux.

GNUser wrote:

Can one of the devs please confirm whether the default kernel in Devuan has proprietary blobs added downstream from Debian?

Or (if any) binary blobs?

GNUser wrote:

P.S. If you want a truly 100% free system, in addition to removing contrib and non-free you also need to replace your proprietary BIOS/UEFI with Libreboot.

I would like to, unfortunately though it doesn't support my hardware; I guess one can't always get what one wants.

"It isn't necessary to hope, in order to undertake, nor to succeed to persevere." (Anonymous)

#6 2017-05-24 13:48:47

GNUser

Capricornus wrote:

it's also about obfuscated code (i.e. binary blobs) which I consider as closed source.

Interesting. I didn't realize there was some of that in the kernel as well. Wow, for freedom-loving folk even GNU/Linux-land is fraught with gotchas! I will look into linux-libre.

This is only tangentially releated to this thread, but once I got rid of non-free and contrib packages and got a T400 with Libreboot pre-installed (available from minifree.org and tehnoetic.com), my crosshairs were on my router...

LibreCMC is the only FSF-endorsed firmware for routers. Putting custom firmware on a router can be quite stressful due to the danger of bricking, so despite being quite adventurous with my PCs I prefer to buy routers that are pre-flashed with the firmware I want. For a long time, the only outfit I could find that sold routers pre-flashed with LibreCMC was thinkpenguin.com. However, the only offering from them is the somewhat underpowered TPE-R1100.

If you go through the specs of all routers officially supported by LibreCMC (https://gogs.librecmc.org/libreCMC/libr … d-Hardware), you'll see that the one with the best specs is the Netgear WNDR3800. After searching far and wide, I found an outfit that sells refurbished WNDR3800 routers flashed with LibreCMC, for about $50 each: sploitworks.com. You can purchase a router from them via their website or through ebay. I've bought three WNDR3800 from them so far (one for myself, two for friends) and am very happy with their service.

That still leaves the modem running proprietary software, but I don't care about that because I've setup openvpn in my router: All the traffic going through the modem is encrypted, so there are no privacy concerns. The WNDR3800 is not advertised as a "VPN router" by sploitworks.com, but LibreCMC has a package manager and it wasn't too hard to get VPN setup on it.

If any of you Devuan folk need help setting up a LibreCMC router (WNDR3800 or other) as a "VPN router", I'll be happy to help in whatever way I can. I enjoy spreading freedom and privacy.

EDIT: For full disclosure, I am not a LibreCMC expert by any means. I have only ever used the current stable version of LibreCMC (v1.3.4), and only on the WNDR3800. However, this combination is my daily driver at home and we've had zero problems.

Last edited by GNUser (2017-05-24 18:42:50)

#7 2017-05-24 17:30:55

Capricornus
Website

About the Debian/Devuan's Linux kernel Vs Libre Linux matter, I've made some little research and edited the first post to clear the fog that was forming on the subject; I hope that helps people making an educated choice, no matter what.

:)

#8 2017-05-24 18:40:00

greenjeans
Website

lazlo wrote:

On a free software side note, the last patent on the MP3 audio codec has expired without being renewed.  It is now in the public domain.

Source of news:  https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/1 … y_noticed/

lazlo

Nice! About time.....

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal 64 and 32 bit Devuan-based openbox and mate systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#9 2017-07-02 10:07:39

zapper

GNUser wrote:

Debian's kernel has been free of proprietary blobs since Squeeze--see https://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html and https://unix.stackexchange.com/question … inux-libre. Therefore, unless Devuan puts the blobs back in, it should not be necessary to replace the kernel to have a 100% libre installation. Can one of the devs please confirm whether the default kernel in Devuan has proprietary blobs added downstream from Debian?

The P:S you wrote, I have done.

I use a libreboot x200 with ascii devuan and linux libre. smile

#10 2017-07-03 01:00:07

GNUser

@zapper: Nice! Libreboot is great! A free BIOS  replacement was for a long time the missing piece for a fully free system.

The only problem I've ever had with Libreboot is that it is finicky about booting from USB (especially ISOLINUX images), but with the manual method described here, even that is no longer an issue: https://libreboot.org/docs/gnulinux/gru … aller.html

Last edited by GNUser (2017-07-03 01:01:54)

#11 2017-07-28 23:17:11

γραφω λογον

Very new to libreboot here (I just have DIY X60 tablets) but long time user of the freesh repository. That's about what I do when I purpify. smile

My English is still a work in progress; no offense was intended.

Board footer