The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-01-27 09:22:38

Panopticon

Success!

Hello,

New user here.

I decided to install Miyo linux today and go ahead and upgrade to ascii, so far so good. Very helpful link here; https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=1768

I think Devuan Jessie to ascii would be prone to less headaches but i plan on trying a debian spin to devuan sometime in the future when ascii is out of development.

Thanks

#2 2018-01-27 13:19:15

Panopticon

Re: Success!

Few scrots, making it my own wink

Screenshot_2018-01-28_00-10-54.png

Screenshot_2018-01-28_00-11-20.png

#3 2018-01-27 20:05:16

MiyoLinux

HEY! I don't remember putting that wallpaper in Miyo? big_smile LOLOLOL!!!

That looks absolutely great! Excellent!

Thank you for the report, and I see you regained the right-click menu after upgrading. smile

I see your volume icon is a little dark from changing the icon theme. If you're not happy with that...and you may already know this...but if you right-click on the volume icon, and choose Preferences, you can change its Icon Theme. It's set as "Default" to match whatever Icon Theme the system is using, but there are a few others to choose from. I always change mine to "White Gnome" so that it's always white on my dark panels.

Thanks again Panopticon, I do appreciate your report, and I hope you enjoy using it. smile

Last edited by MiyoLinux (2018-01-27 20:54:28)

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

Veni, vidi, vici vdevuaned. I came, I saw, I Devuaned. wink

#4 2018-01-28 04:46:52

Panopticon

Hi Miyo

Great distro, well done.

I had to install Linux-DesktopFiles here: https://github.com/trizen/Linux-DesktopFiles for the root menu. Not too much hassle but i was a bit confused to start with, like where the hell did right click menu go!!! lol. Then i remembered seeing that OB menu is created by obmenu generator so went to https://github.com/trizen/obmenu-generator and all was good after seeing "require linux desktop files". I did modify the menu to my liking, i like a minimal type of OB menu, thats just my preference though.

With the volume icon, i could probably fix that with volumeicon or cbatticon to get the default to work properly, i think? But gnome white will do, cheers. Scratch that, volumeicon is installed, doh. Why would default be grayed out if using the right icon theme, like say papirus light or just papirus?

Last edited by Panopticon (2018-01-28 04:53:15)

#5 2018-01-28 05:19:58

MiyoLinux

Okay. Hmmm...

Oh no...did the instructions not work (that I gave in the Release Notes) regarding how to fix the menu if a user upgrades to Ascii (by issuing two commands in the terminal)?

I'm only asking, because if the directions that I gave in the Release Notes don't work now for some reason, I'd like to know. smile

During my testing, I tried upgrades to Ascii several times, and the instructions worked each time.

I'm just glad to hear that you got it back though!  smile

...and I hate to be the bearer of bad news (?) , but I just uploaded Ascii versions to Sourceforge. DOH!!!

Thanks again! Take care!

I have been Devuanated, and my practice in the art of Devuanism shall continue until my Devuanization is complete. Until then, I will strive to continue in my understanding of Devuanchology, Devuanprocity, and Devuanivity.

#6 2018-01-28 17:06:14

MiyoLinux

Panopticon wrote:

Hi Miyo
Why would default be grayed out if using the right icon theme, like say papirus light or just papirus?

Papirus and Papirus Light are icon sets intended to be used with light colored system themes. So, if your system theme was say...Adwaita, your lxpanel or Xfce4 panel would be a light color. Then the volume icon would be seen normally if using Papirus/Papirus Light icons. Then that brings up the ability to change the background colors of those panels instead of using the default system theme...LOLOL!!!

I'm downloading an XTRA Jessie now. I'm concerned about losing the menu and the instructions not working, so I'm going to test it again.

#7 2018-01-28 19:22:42

MiyoLinux

Okay. I downloaded and installed Miyo XTRA Jessie. Upgraded it to Ascii and rebooted.

No menu as expected. tongue

Tried the first of the two terminal commands given in the Release Notes...and it failed. yikes

Tried it again, and it failed. That sent me ballistic, and I was about to go into total demolition mode... big_smile

...but then...

I realized I hadn't connected to the internet after the reboot. tongue

Connected to the internet, ran the two commands, and the menu was back. wink

#8 2018-02-27 10:31:48

Panopticon

Sorry for the very late reply.

All your suggestions work, it was just my lack of attention that was the problem. wink

#9 2018-03-01 02:54:24

MiyoLinux

Panopticon wrote:

Sorry for the very late reply.

All your suggestions work, it was just my lack of attention that was the problem. wink

LOL! No worries! I'm the same way...I usually pay no attention to terminal outputs... tongue

Take care!

Board footer