The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-10-27 20:01:11

oui

how to go online?

Hi

I have actually Devuan on my old first Laptop and it is connected with wlan (wired!). no problem...

my real main laptop, the newer one (it is also old but was a powerfull play station and is yet big enough for othe purposes) is on an other place in my home or outside my home and has to be connected both:

- mainly wireless
- rarely wired

I did try to install.

different from Ubuntu (latest Ubuntu 16.04 network installation) installing without disturb all needing, finding the networks in the around, requiring the password, and connecting at least

devuan claims for an rtl_nic.rtl8168e.2fw,

I have not so what... It is simply so: I have not so what as Ubuntu was since years supplyer of all what I need (as well as the "little dwarfs" SliTaz or Puppy Linux! All Linuxes, little, mini, micro, they are, ...

... connect!

And I am not accostumed to set it up, sorry.

What is to do to go online?

(Info: I have no CD drive and no usb: the drive and connectors are not usuable any more...)

I thank for help

Kind regards

#2 2017-10-27 20:26:31

FOSSuser

Re: how to go online?

If I'm remembering right, you need to install the firmware, which I think should be in your /home directory.
(I'm using Vuu-Do now for my Devuan system.)

Last edited by FOSSuser (2017-10-27 20:27:18)

#3 2017-10-28 10:26:16

oui

Hi FOSSuser,

thank you for the answer. But where to find it (I belong the Original CD from DELL for my PC with all the Drivers and Utilities for DELL XPS L502X but Devuan did find nothing else on it and I suppose it is not on it)?  On the Service page from Dell ( http://pilot.search.dell.com/rtl_nic~prdrtl8168e~prd2fw ) appearing as goal of the search with the name named by Devuan, is no Linux driver and no driver with that name to find!

I suppose there exist a *.deb on ubuntu but

- how to find the right one
- howto continue the installation (I suppose dpkg -i pipapo is not enough? At installations time (netinstall complete new system) Ubuntu

- find the right driver
- check the wifi environment and find the actual wifi boxes with enough power; I suppose Ubuntu starts a application doing that
- propose them
- after selecting enter the choiced wifi box and try to connect; I suppose Ubuntu starts a application doing that

if I overview correctly the difficulty, the best would be to modify the fresh Ubuntu installation into a Devuan?

would that be possible (like with an equivalent Debian installation)?

which version of Ubuntu would be the best choice to install Devuan Jessie on it?

#4 2017-10-28 11:40:23

fsmithred
Administrator

I'm having some difficulty understanding what you want to do. If devuan is already installed and can connect with wired ethernet, you should be able to run

apt-get install firmware-realtek

to get the wireless working.

If you want to install devuan on a computer that has no CD drive or USB ports, that's gets a little more difficult. Upgrading an old ubuntu to devuan might be possible, but it would be difficult. In fact, someone reported in irc last night that they did exaclty that. I don't recommend trying it in this case. A debootstrap install would probably be easier. Or pull the hard drive and connect it to another computer to install the system, then put it back where it belongs. Or make a separate partition for devuan and install from hard drive. (Did you already try that?)

#5 2017-10-28 19:50:14

oui

Hi fsmithred! Thank you very much. I did find 2 package at the depository:
- librtlsdr0
- rtl-sdr
How to use them?

#6 2017-10-28 21:58:28

cynwulf

in your original posts, you've said that dmesg reports that the firmware loader prompts for: "rtl_nic.rtl8168e.2fw"

/lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8168e-2.fw is part of the "firmware-realtek" package, not the one you refer to.

Install this and reboot (or remove and reinsert the kernel module) and after configuring the interface, it should work.

#7 2017-10-28 22:26:13

fsmithred
Administrator

Make sure you have non-free enabled in your sources. Then you should be able to find the package.

#8 2017-10-28 23:56:42

oui

oh! thank you (I did forget this figure never used any more by me since 10 y or more ;-) as the major distributions never limit that any more today: you can not visit ebay, your bank, login by some real authorities etc.!)... enable non-free, that was the problem and probably not only for realtek!

Board footer