The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-06-03 05:26:36

Gregory Nowak
d1g

the installed system is not fully accessible

When the option to install with speech synthesis is chosen by pressing s and enter at the boot prompt, the resulting installed system isn't fully accessible if the user chose to install using the default devuan desktop environment. Specifically, because the default session manager is slim, the orca screen reader doesn't activate at the GUI login screen. This is true on both i386, and amd64. The iso images I tested with are devuan_jessie_1.0.0-beta_amd64_NETINST.iso and devuan_jessie_1.0.0-beta_i386_NETINST.iso. The attached installer.tar comes from an amd64 install done in virtualbox.

Proposed solution:
If the user chooses to install with speech, and chooses to install one of the desktop tasks based on a gtk desktop (such as xfce), the following should be done on the installed system in addition to the tasks the installer currently performs:
1. apt-get install lightdm lightdm-gtk-greeter
2. Automatically configure lightdm as the default session manager.

If possible, I also propose that slim be removed from a system installed in this way, since it is inaccessible, and might create confusion for a user who doesn't know slim is inaccessible, and who decides to experiment in the newly installed system. Once lightdm is installed as the default session manager along with lightdm-gtk-greeter, the installed system should be fully accessible both at the text console, and in the GUI including login screen.

Thanks for the great work the devuan team has done.

Project: devuan-infrastructure/Installer_Feedback
Issue: #3
By: Gregory Nowak

Board footer