#1 2017-06-23 05:06:24

golinux
d1g

Broken links

All the reference links on this page:
https://git.devuan.org/devuan/devuan-maintainers

And it's fork:
https://git.devuan.org/hteixe/devuan-maintainers

are non-functional.  I poked around a bit but couldn't find the location(s).

This page claims to offer "Everything you always wanted to know about package maintenance, but were lazy to ask".   And that's what it should provide.  How are people going to participate if the info isn't accessible? That info might also be useful in preparing the alternate Devuan handbook.  Let me know the new location path(s) and I'll be happy to do the grunt work (if I have perms to do so).

Project: devuan/devuan-maintainers
Issue: #28
By: golinux

#2 2017-07-18 18:38:14

Count_Cucaracha

Re: Broken links

This link requires a login:

https://git.devuan.org/hteixe/devuan-ma … ner+wanted

Is that correct?

#3 2017-07-18 18:54:32

golinux
Administrator

Count_Cucaracha wrote:

This link requires a login:

https://git.devuan.org/hteixe/devuan-ma … ner+wanted

Is that correct?

Yes.  But don't bother.  It's going to a 404.  That whole section is broken.

If you wait to maintain packages, do open an account and read this

#4 2017-07-18 19:22:31

Count_Cucaracha

No, not at the point of maintaining a package.  I am at the point of trying to get a feel for things. But it's very difficult as information is spread thin and wide.  Having to login to this forum to get answers is even a stretch for me (no pun intended). Creating another login just to see what is/isn't maintained is not what I will do. 

Don't take it personally or anything. So far it's looking like a sailboat in the doldrums. The sail's flappy.

No offense to any and all involved but that is my assessment. Take it or leave it. Flame on if you want but it's 2017 and myself and many others don't have time for arguments anymore.  We are at a crossroads.  Hopefully we're on somewhat the same page.

#5 2017-07-18 20:51:06

greenjeans
Website

Count_Cucaracha wrote:

Don't take it personally or anything. So far it's looking like a sailboat in the doldrums. The sail's flappy.

Not really. There is just not a lot to comment on at the moment. We are between releases, no alpha yet for ascii, but we do have a stable 1.0.0 (jessie), and that's the source of many people's boredom, some people just can't stand stable, they like to fix broken stuff, lol.

Not too much fuel for comment either with the stable version as it continues to work perfectly for the most part, so very little in the way of posts on the forum as there's just not much to fix.

There's a metric ton of work that goes into a stable release, ascii will take time.

If you want cutting edge right now, there's certainly distros that offer that.

Me I like my car to start in the morning, every morning. And the systems I build from Devuan will last longer than the machines themselves and will never require updating to something that's not really going to make it do anything any swifter or better anyway, the machine's hardware is already at it's limit.

In the future newer hardware may have expanded capabilities that might benefit from more complex software, but for the most part, most of what I see people obsessing about with newer kernels is just basically masturbating due to boredom, and 99% of them would be fine for the next ten years using the 3.16 kernel with the machines they are currently using.

JMHO on the matter. wink

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal 64 and 32 bit Devuan-based openbox and mate systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#6 2017-07-18 21:55:09

fungus
Website

I lost function of the mouse in Manjaro yesterday trying 4.13.rc1 and it felt good!  Makes you appreciate your 4.12 kernel more smile

Right on all counts, most tickets for questions here seem to go unanswered, not enough of knowleadgeable people around to
do forum/list work.  Some of us will not go into irc if our life depended on it, documentation in many ways is too minimal to be of
any help, and in my experience not much of complaining about broken systems to justify a forum.
Maybe devuan can be devuan without a forum?

I will continue my abuse of ceres, its daemons and spirits, and see how resilient this thing is. 
This hw of mine says 2008 on the bios, all OEM, and it keeps on ticking.  Pretty damn silent and
energy savy.  The core temps are a couple of degrees higher than my forehead.

Why is everyone so much in a hurry anyway?

gnubg runs fine on this machine

#7 2017-07-18 22:11:17

golinux
Administrator

fungus wrote:

Right on all counts, most tickets for questions here seem to go unanswered, not enough of knowleadgeable people around to do forum/list work.  Some of us will not go into irc if our life depended on it, documentation in many ways is too minimal to be of any help, and in my experience not much of complaining about broken systems to justify a forum. Maybe devuan can be devuan without a forum?

I think you're not understanding what this "Issues" forum is about.  Please read https://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=500. So you now know that a bot populates this "Issues" forum by importing issues that have been posted to git.devuan.org.  We did that so forum users (who may never get on git) would have access to them and perhaps be able to solve them.   Many of them have also been solved but not closed on git so they remain open here.  I am not aware of any questions posted directly to this forum have not been answered.  So no . . . Devuan can't do without a forum but this forum could do just fine without you.  wink

#8 2017-07-19 21:46:16

Somewhat Reticent

greenjeans wrote:

…Not too much fuel for comment either with the stable version as it continues to work perfectly for the most part, so very little in the way of posts on the forum as there's just not much to fix.…

Easy to attain perfection by using tunnel vision - just ignore everyone else's issues.

golinux wrote:

…I am not aware of any questions posted directly to this forum have not been answered.… this forum could do just fine without you. wink

Attitude showing - contagion?
::
Water receives Wind's excitation, undulates a while, and returns to serenity.

#9 2017-07-19 22:27:58

golinux
Administrator

What?!  Me have an attitude? big_smile

#10 2017-07-19 23:37:54

catprints

lost function of the mouse in Manjaro yesterday trying 4.13.rc1 and it felt good!  Makes you appreciate your 4.12 kernel more smile

Right on all counts, most tickets for questions here seem to go unanswered, not enough of knowleadgeable people around to
do forum/list work.  Some of us will not go into irc if our life depended on it, documentation in many ways is too minimal to be of
any help, and in my experience not much of complaining about broken systems to justify a forum.
Maybe devuan can be devuan without a forum?

Maybe a Manjaro forum is where you would find contentment.

"The obstacle is the path."

#11 2017-07-20 20:44:23

greenjeans
Website

Somewhat Reticent wrote:
greenjeans wrote:

…Not too much fuel for comment either with the stable version as it continues to work perfectly for the most part, so very little in the way of posts on the forum as there's just not much to fix.…

Easy to attain perfection by using tunnel vision - just ignore everyone else's issues.

Well I really haven't, I log on to this forum every time i'm on the internet and try to answer any questions that my limited skillset will allow. But in fact there's just not that much in the way of issues to solve (at least with jessie, most of the problems being discussed on the forum currently stem from use of ascii or even ceres in some cases).

And my sample size while not huge, is nevertheless larger than one, I have 4 machines at my house running Devuan, and have converted over a dozen more for other people in my hometown, and so far everything is still working perfectly.

I'm not sure what other metric I need to be using, is there an approximate user count we can refer to and cross-reference with reported issues?

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal 64 and 32 bit Devuan-based openbox and mate systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#12 2017-07-21 00:06:56

Count_Cucaracha

greenjeans wrote:

Not really. There is just not a lot to comment on at the moment. We are between releases, no alpha yet for ascii, but we do have a stable 1.0.0 (jessie), and that's the source of many people's boredom, some people just can't stand stable, they like to fix broken stuff, lol.

Well yes really. I think you may have misunderstood my point. With no knowledge of Devuan and trying to get some idea of its status it looked stalled. Devuan's public face doesn't look very active.  This forum is not busy for example and the devuan.org page doesn't tell me much as far as any timeline goes. I don't know anything about Devuan or the timing or how recent anything is (or isn't).

So yes for some new visitor it is hard to tell what the vital signs are.

As for running newer software that is just a requirement sometimes. Like bitcoin core or other packages that are always moving faster than most distros. There is often no choice but to get the newest packages in order to run some software.

The maillist is very difficult to use, so less useful than it could be and there's a lot of non-devuan talk anyway.

#13 2017-07-21 00:11:05

Count_Cucaracha

golinux wrote:

I am not aware of any questions posted directly to this forum have not been answered.

What are these about then?

https://dev1galaxy.org/search.php?actio … unanswered

I looked through some but not all.

#14 2017-07-21 01:09:10

golinux
Administrator

Count_Cucaracha wrote:
golinux wrote:

I am not aware of any questions posted directly to this forum have not been answered.

What are these about then?

https://dev1galaxy.org/search.php?actio … unanswered

I looked through some but not all.

Do I really have to explain all this again?

1.  All the posts at https://dev1galaxy.org/viewforum.php?id=19 - all 22 pages - were NOT posted directly to this forum.  Those posts were imported from git issues dating back several years:
     A.  Not all of those issues are problems - Sometimes devs leave notes to themselves there
     B.  Many of those issues have probably been solved but not marked as such on git and
     C.  Anything before the Stable release is most likely irrelevant currently
     E.  Probably a few other reasons too
I am not going to micro-manage how a dev handles his/her projects.  Perhaps you would like to go through all 22 pages to see if any of those issues have actually been solved, post the link and and I will go in and close them on git and here?

2.  Posts in documentation might just consist of a "howto" with no question.

3.  Same goes for "Announcements" and many other threads that are not active and without unanswered questions

4.  That count might even include posts that are hidden from users

I check this forum throughout the day and answer every question I can as do the other admins.  Numbers sometimes do lie . . . especially if the variables are not taken into consideration.

#15 2017-07-21 06:49:49

Somewhat Reticent

golinux wrote:

were NOT posted directly to this forum.  Those posts were imported from git issues …

Wasn't your Original Post about Truth-in-Labeling?  (Which  you kindly offered to help with)

Should 'these posts' be clearly labeled (i.e. source=git, Solved, Won't-Fix, etc)?
(Should UnAnswered be UnCommented?)

Last edited by Somewhat Reticent (2017-07-21 08:48:21)

#16 2017-07-21 07:39:13

ralph.ronnquist
Administrator

Some things are hard to work out. Other are not.
Some things are worth spending time on. Other are not.
This is not.

#17 2017-07-21 20:46:57

golinux
Administrator

ralph.ronnquist wrote:

Some things are hard to work out. Other are not.
Some things are worth spending time on. Other are not.
This is not.

Exactly!

#18 2017-07-22 00:03:54

Count_Cucaracha

golinux wrote:

Do I really have to explain all this again?

I would have found it adequate if you just said those are the imports from the bug list. Don't want to make any more work for anyone.

Perhaps you would like to go through all 22 pages to see if any of those issues have actually been solved, post the link and and I will go in and close them on git and here?

"Like" is a strong word in this case.  I think they are fine since they can provide some info.

Board footer