The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2021-03-05 16:40:33

tlathm

What is /etc/cron.daily/apt-compat?

I have a rackspace server that's been converted from Debian Buster to Beowulf. I just spent a lot of time trying to figure out why my daily cron jobs appeared to be running much later than intended. I have the daily crons set up to run at 4:02 AM and it appeared that the jobs I care about ran at about 4:30 this morning.

Looking at /var/log/syslog I can see that the daily jobs did in fact start at 4:02, but my jobs appear to be getting delayed by /etc/cron.daily/apt-compat.

It appears that it does a random sleep and I think that's what delayed things. From what I read it appears that has something to do with unattended updates(??). If so I'm assuming (hoping) that's not enabled by default.

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

Tom

#2 2021-03-05 17:19:10

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: What is /etc/cron.daily/apt-compat?

tlathm wrote:

I'm assuming (hoping) that's not enabled by default

Is the unattended-upgrades package installed and if so is the service enabled?

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2021-03-05 17:50:36

tlathm

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
tlathm wrote:

I'm assuming (hoping) that's not enabled by default

Is the unattended-upgrades package installed and if so is the service enabled?

Wow...apparently yes and yes. Looking at the logs in /var/log/apt it certainly doesn't appear that any upgrades have run on their own. I'm assuming they'd log there(?). I have to confess I knew nothing about this one at all.

Tom

#4 2021-03-05 17:59:26

tlathm

What also bothers me is that, unless I'm misreading it, the /etc/cron.daily/apt-compat script appears to do that random sleep regardless of whether or not any of this is enabled. That seems odd to me.

Again, this was from a rackspace Buster VM and they apparently had the unattended upgrade stuff installed. I've never installed that on Devuan installs I've done from scratch.

Tom

#5 2021-03-05 21:53:22

tlathm

In addition to purging the unattended-upgrades package, I also just moved the apt-compat script out of /etc/cron-daily altogether. That appears to be installed by the apt package and seems to do that random sleep (up to 30 minutes) regardless of whether any of that is enabled. Still seems odd to me.

Tom

Board footer