The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-09-24 21:59:30

zephyr
Website

Devuan, maybe not for every one but most!

Found this on DW, Devuan ratings and comments!

https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=devuan

Version: 3.0.0
Rating: 10
Date: 2020-09-24
Votes: 0

Been using Devuan since the release of Jessie beta, absolute ease of install. Rated now as one of the TOP 10 best distributions! Great distro for anyone from the noob to the more seasoned Linux user, that is of course you are like a CFI like the post below.

Pros: Systemd free, large team of VUA's behind the creation and maintaining of Devuan. Xfce as their flagship DE.

Cons: Nothing worth noting and a personal observation and nothing to do with servicablity.

If you can't tie your shoe or feed yourself then maybe not right for you!

Version: 3.0.0
Rating: 1
Date: 2020-09-18
Votes: 0

I have been playing with Devuan for for weeks.

Cannot get guest services to work in Vbox.

Getting it installed onto a hdd in a simple fashion? NFW!

I play around with over a dozen distros and Devuan is by far the most pain in the rear of them all.

Devuan is not even close to being public!

Keep trying, I do like the idea, but what a freaking mess!

What a mess!

Anyone shed some light on what a "CFI" is? Have an idea and suppose it would not be proper to post that!

Just wanted to share views that of the contented and that of the disgruntled! A post like that clearly states just how limited a person is and afraid to ask for help! Sad!

cheers

zephyr

Last edited by zephyr (2020-09-24 22:09:29)

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#2 2020-09-25 14:33:00

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Devuan, maybe not for every one but most!

zephyr wrote:

Anyone shed some light on what a "CFI" is?

Complete fucking idiot. Or certified flight instructor, perhaps.

Anyway, an average user rating of 9/10 is pretty damn good and the sample size is big enough to make it fairly significant.

Devuan currently sits in 9th place overall: https://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resou … average100

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#3 2020-09-25 17:09:58

zephyr
Website

HoaS wrote: Complete fucking idiot. Or certified flight instructor, perhaps.

Anyway, an average user rating of 9/10 is pretty damn good and the sample size is big enough to make it fairly significant.

Yes it is, could not agree more. The second DW comment was a representation of extreme frustration, once I read the first caught on quickly with the CFI reference to the below statement.

I got a real good laugh! smile

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#4 2020-10-17 11:45:56

brocashelm

I think when it comes to the anti-Systemd crowd, most tend to gravitate towards Artix GNU/Linux or any other non-LTS distro. Devuan still serves a purpose for Debian and Ubuntu refugees, but I can see why some people aren't too fond of APT and its tendency to break dependencies, when Pacman can work around that sort of thing.

As long as Debian continues to make retarded decisions "on behalf" of its users, people will continue to recommend Devuan and just about every other downstream distro that won't put up with their nonsense.

#5 2020-10-17 22:15:20

xinomilo
Unknown

brocashelm wrote:

can see why some people aren't too fond of APT and its tendency to break dependencies, when Pacman can work around that sort of thing.

well, it's a matter of opinion, i tend to think otherwise : debian/apt does a great job in keeping just necessary dependencies with packages, while pacman brings in the whole dependency "world" in.
tried artix sometime ago, and installed a simple qt app in a gtk3 DE.... well, the whole QT came in , hundred or more MBs (cant exactly remember size)... tried the same in debian/devuan, qt dependencies for the same package are less than 10M..
also first pacman upgrade from a month old artix iso installation, brought in ~600M of updates !!!! i don't recall similar apt downloads, even in dist-upgrading debian/devuan stable every 2 years ....
so, size matters also.. (packages+dependencies/installation.)
apt breaking dependencies is a side effect maybe, but not much of an irritation really and usually fixed fast.

my 2c smile

#6 2020-10-18 02:41:57

zapper

xinomilo wrote:
brocashelm wrote:

can see why some people aren't too fond of APT and its tendency to break dependencies, when Pacman can work around that sort of thing.

well, it's a matter of opinion, i tend to think otherwise : debian/apt does a great job in keeping just necessary dependencies with packages, while pacman brings in the whole dependency "world" in.
tried artix sometime ago, and installed a simple qt app in a gtk3 DE.... well, the whole QT came in , hundred or more MBs (cant exactly remember size)... tried the same in debian/devuan, qt dependencies for the same package are less than 10M..
also first pacman upgrade from a month old artix iso installation, brought in ~600M of updates !!!! i don't recall similar apt downloads, even in dist-upgrading debian/devuan stable every 2 years ....
so, size matters also.. (packages+dependencies/installation.)
apt breaking dependencies is a side effect maybe, but not much of an irritation really and usually fixed fast.

my 2c smile

i prefer pacman myself, but that being said, I hate archlinux and their pro systemd stance.  I only love Hyperbola's use of pacman.

Haven't tried artix though. tongue

but yeah, pacman appears to be more lightweight/smaller hence why it interests me so...

Last edited by zapper (2020-10-18 02:42:50)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#7 2020-11-06 23:40:47

dnss

I like that review. I also appreciate having a systemd free distro that works well. Took me a little time and work to get it set up (not weeks like the "CFI" haha), but it was worth it.

#8 2020-11-07 01:37:25

zapper

dnss wrote:

I like that review. I also appreciate having a systemd free distro that works well. Took me a little time and work to get it set up (not weeks like the "CFI" haha), but it was worth it.

Meh, I think even s6 init with artix is better than arch with system dumb.  That being said, Artix I have heard if more bleeding edge then arch. I don't know for sure, but I tend to doubt that.

Last edited by zapper (2020-11-07 01:40:06)

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. Feelings are not facts
If you wish to be humbled, try to exalt yourself long term  If you wish to be exalted, try to humble yourself long term
Favourite operating systems: Hyperbola Devuan OpenBSD
Peace Be With us All!

#9 2020-11-07 07:25:31

pymd

All I can say is the absolute gratitude I feel to you all, for making a sytemd free system that actually works! I was terrfied of trying Devuan, I thought it would be an unpolished distro, but I was wrong.

Devuan just works, and it has one of the kindest communities I have ever experienced in gnu/Linux. The person who wrote that article is a bit of a twit. If someone can't work out how to use it, then perhaps they are better off sticking with ubuntu?

#10 2020-11-07 13:56:37

manyroads
Website

Without any rancor whatsoever, I offer a thought on Devuan.  I'd love to see Devuan lose the obtuse Debian download 'labeling/setup/arrangements' and place human comprehensible instruction on stable-testing-unstable/experimental isos. 

Only arcolinux makes things less understandable/comprehensible..

Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau - ManyRoads
i3wm, bspwm, dkwm, dwm, hlwm, sway, openbox on Sid/ ceres ~ Linux #449130
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." -- H. L. Mencken

Board footer