The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-18 17:27:16

nullr00t

Listing Services On System

Hello to everyone. This is my first post here. Longtime user of Devuan and other distros. Recently started getting into some advanced configurations and need a tad bit of guidance. I searched on here for a while and couldn't find anyone that has posted a topic about this, so forgive me if I seem ignorant or "noob" like. I want to list all services installed in my system, as well as whether they are running or not. I did some research and found the chkconfig command for sysv systems, but it doesn't work in this distro. Even tried installing said package and it is "referred to by another package" but has no install candidate. Can anyone help me out with this simple problem? Getting aggravated at myself and haven't slept in a while, so perhaps some sleep and a clear mind is all I need. Thanks in advance guys.

#2 2019-06-18 18:37:40

GNUser

Re: Listing Services On System

Welcome, nullr00t!

To see the init scripts that run at boot (which presumably are your "services"), do ls /etc/rcS.d and ls /etc/rc2.d

Another way is sudo service --status-all. The output of this command also shows which services are running vs. not running vs. status unknown. For the services that report status unknown, you can try pgrep -fa foo

Last edited by GNUser (2019-06-18 18:43:36)

#3 2019-06-18 19:48:43

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Unfortunately sysvinit does not offer true process supervision and so is incapable of keeping track of running services.

Try OpenRC instead, that does offer process supervision.

List running services and their status with

rc-status

Display all available services with

rc-update -v show

Brianna Ghey — Rest In Power

#4 2019-06-19 12:35:49

nullr00t

Thanks to both of you for the replies. service --status-all is exactly what I was looking for! I think I may launch a VM instance and try out OpenRC just to get a feel for it to see if I like it any better. Thanks again!

#5 2019-06-19 14:56:43

Panopticon

Be careful to take note of the messages apt gives you when installing openrc as it will remove sysv-rc.

Im not talking about a new installation of devuan either rather an already established installation of devuan without openrc.

Last edited by Panopticon (2019-06-19 15:01:38)

Board footer