The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-02 04:24:43

rmrichesjr

scanimage + libusb = "Error during device I/O"

On a new Devuan Ascii installation, my HP ScanJet 6300C is seen by sane-find-scanner at some "libusb:00N:00M".  If I do "scanimage --help -d hp:libusb:00N:00M" (same numbers returned by sane-find-scanner), I get a list of scanner-specific options that appear to be reasonable.  However, if I attempt "scanimage -d hp:libusb:00N:00M" (same numbers returned by sane-find-scanner), I get "Error during device I/O".  The scanner worked fine with Debian 7/Wheezy.  Slackware 14.2 gave me the "Error during device I/O", appearing to be the same symptom as with Devuan Ascii.  The scanner is between 15 and 20 years old, but it works fine from a Raspberry Pi (itself and its OS a few years old) with essentially the same commands as give the "Error during device I/O" on Slackware 14.2 and Devuan Ascii.  My hunch is bit rot has caused a bug to creep into libusb and/or scanimage when working with hardware that old.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2019-01-02 15:17:15

GNUser

Re: scanimage + libusb = "Error during device I/O"

I have an old HP all-on-one printer/scanner, too. My Devuan and OpenBSD boxes see the HP device (and the HP device sees them) all the time, but when actually trying to scan I get I/O errors if dbus isn't running. I don't like dbus because I find it difficult to understand, so I only turn it on when I have to scan.

Is your Devuan ASCII installation running dbus? If not, try scanning with dbus running and see if it helps.

Last edited by GNUser (2019-01-02 16:45:28)

Board footer