The officially official Devuan Forum!

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-04-24 16:18:19

FOSSuser

Re: ZephyrLinux re-branded to Crowz

For info, the following is how it is seen on my Debian based AntiX system.

Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>

Maybe driver: ath9k is missing(?)

(I'm off for my dinner now. smile )

#27 2017-04-24 22:33:04

greenjeans
Website

zephyr wrote:

@greenjeans: Have JWM up if you are still interested in taking a spin!
https://sourceforge.net/projects/crowz/

Downloading your new release of Vuudo! Like the appearance of it! : )
http://www.mrgreenjeans.net/linux/vuudo … 2_1909.iso

cheers

zephyr

Downloading now, bandwidth is actually excellent today for some reason, so i'm hitting it hard right now!

Your screenshots look amazing, I think we have similar tastes in color schemes wink

WOW, that download is already done, now i'm grabbing the openbox version too and anything else that isn't nailed down, lol.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vuu-do/
Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

Please donate to support Devuan and init freedom! https://devuan.org/os/donate

#28 2017-04-24 22:51:47

greenjeans
Website

FOSSuser wrote:

For info, the following is how it is seen on my Debian based AntiX system.

Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>

Maybe driver: ath9k is missing(?)

(I'm off for my dinner now. smile )

firmware-atheros maybe? Just looked and I don't have it on the 32 mate i'm working on, guessing I don't have it on the other partitions either, is that a pretty common chipset?

If you do try it and it works, could you let me know?

Default Devuan that I started with months ago didn't have firmware-ralink package that I needed for both my laptops wi-fi. I added it to all my iso's as it's a very common wireless chipset, almost all the HP laptops i've seen for the last few years need it.

Got me to thinking about other firmware, and the necessity of some of it in mini iso's specifically. Perhaps we mini guys need to figure out a list of most commonly needed wi-fi and other firmware? Like I see bluez firmware in the repo for bluetooth devices, I hadn't even thought about bluetooth needing firmware, how common are bluetooth devices used with computers these days? I don't use any so I have no idea.

Last edited by greenjeans (2017-04-24 23:39:12)

Vuu-do GNU/Linux, minimal Devuan-based openbox systems to build on, maximal versions if you prefer your linux fully-loaded.

#29 2017-04-24 23:07:20

golinux
Administrator

greenjeans wrote:

Perhaps we mini guys need to figure out a list of most commonly needed wi-fi and other firmware?

I'm pretty sure that's going to be handled in the Devuan isos in the next round.  So just sit back and let the Devuan team sort it for you.  smile

#30 2017-04-24 23:08:18

zephyr
Website

@greenjeans: Like the cooler coolers of gray and black, easy on the eyes! Yes very similar taste in color schemes, the Oxy2-ZEN are a great looking set of icons. First time seeing them anywhere!

Vuudo is a very minimal distro, like the openbox layout, very fast! Nicely put together project that deserves the attention!

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#31 2017-04-24 23:27:20

greenjeans
Website

golinux wrote:
greenjeans wrote:

Perhaps we mini guys need to figure out a list of most commonly needed wi-fi and other firmware?

I'm pretty sure that's going to be handled in the Devuan isos in the next round.  So just sit back and let the Devuan team sort it for you.  smile

Are you sure? All I see in the new RC is firmware-linux-free, the original beta I installed from at least had firmware-realtek.

I don't understand the process like I should, just asking questions here. 

I can understand if it's considered non-free software and so isn't included in Devuan's isos, but I was speaking to Zephyr more about what we as people who are working on derivatives might want to do as we have more freedom, for my part I want to include at least the most common things needed for most users to connect to the internet. Realtek and Ralink firmware alone probably covers a million machines if not more.

This is what hooked me on crunchbang back a few years ago, it worked out of the box on every machine I tried it on. Not so with Debian or Mint.

Last edited by greenjeans (2017-04-24 23:41:07)

#32 2017-04-24 23:29:38

greenjeans
Website

zephyr wrote:

@greenjeans:  the Oxy2-ZEN are a great looking set of icons. First time seeing them anywhere!

zephyr

Blast from the past, old gnome 2, take a look in the icons, the main menu icon is named "Mandriva.png", that ought to give you an idea of how old wink

#33 2017-04-25 07:34:43

FOSSuser

I think the ath9k is a fairly common chipset.

What I used to do before was just to install Debian nonfree firmware on anything that didn't work out of the box, it only added 14mb.

Whilst I'm back on here, I did notice the default keyboard seemed to be English American, but didn't check to see if it can easily be changed, (setxkb gb), are the other layouts included? (If not, maybe something else to think about.)

@greenjeans - I liked your Mate version, & I don't normally like Desktop Environments, preferring a lightweight window manager. smile

#34 2017-04-25 07:36:17

FOSSuser

@zephyr - I liked what I saw of your OB & JWM versions. smile

#35 2017-04-25 14:32:32

zephyr
Website

^ Thank you!

CROWZ
easier to light a candle, yet curse the dark instead / experience life, or simply ...merely exist / ride the serpent / molon labe

#36 2017-04-25 14:44:03

zephyr
Website

@greenjeans: Oxy2-ZEN is a very complete set which is always preferred with any distro. Does remind me of the LaGaDesk-BlackWhite-III and IV. 

Vuudo is a great looking distro, still fiddling with it. No issues at all! : )

zephyr

CROWZ

#37 2017-04-25 18:51:32

FOSSuser

Just checked with a live Refracta & my ath9k driver comes in firmware-atheros. smile

#38 2017-04-25 20:16:12

greenjeans
Website

FOSSuser wrote:

Just checked with a live Refracta & my ath9k driver comes in firmware-atheros. smile

Thought maybe so, thanks for info, need to add that probably for some local installs when I do them.

@Zephyr: Tried both JWM and OB last night and they are both fun! I like the crowz graphics and colors, livecd booted quite a bit faster than mine do on my machine, the boot message was a nice touch wink , gonna give them a run today again and check out netsurf browser a little more among other things.

Again I gotta say, I learn more from 5 minutes of running and looking at someone else's work, than I do from 5 hours of agonizing over my own filesystem trying to figure out how to make it run better and faster.

Test-driving iso's, much like a 5:30 beer, is always a good decision.

#39 2017-04-25 23:29:58

greenjeans
Website

FOSSuser wrote:

So just thinking out loud here, but a solution when using the Refracta installer/snapshot for livecd's, to keep from installing a bunch of extra firmware, is to just put the .debs for the firmware packages in /var/cache/apt/archives, that way the install can be blob-free if you want, or you can install needed firmware without having to have an internet connection first? The cached packages can even be installed with Synaptic, just fire it up normally and select them for install.

I've installed and removed packages during a livecd session with Devuan and Refracta, modded and replaced files too, so couldn't you even install the needed firmware while still in-session, and delete the unneeded .debs, and have just what you want installed?

#40 2017-04-26 00:18:21

fsmithred
Administrator

greenjeans wrote:

I've installed and removed packages during a livecd session with Devuan and Refracta, modded and replaced files too, so couldn't you even install the needed firmware while still in-session, and delete the unneeded .debs, and have just what you want installed?

Maybe yes, maybe no. You can install them, but sometimes getting them to work without a reboot is difficult. And of course, if you reboot the live session, you lose any changes. I didn't know you could install debs with synaptic. Thanks for that.

The regular installer isos have the wireless firmware, and you can choose to install it or not. That didn't work in beta2, but it's fixed in RC. The desktop-live and minimal-live don't have any wireless firmware installed or available, unless you have a network connection already. (catch-22). There's a good chance the final live isos will have wireless firmware. I don't know what the best way to do it is.

Here's a list of the wireless firmware packages that I pack in the Refracta isos. It's all of the ones I could find, but I haven't checked lately to see if there are more. I was able to install all of them in devuan without having to agree to a EULA with the exception of one - the ipw2x00.

b43-fwcutter_1%3a019-2_amd64.deb
b43-fwcutter_1%3a019-2_i386.deb
firmware-atheros_0.43_all.deb
firmware-b43-installer_1%3a019-2_all.deb
firmware-b43legacy-installer_1%3a019-2_all.deb
firmware-bnx2_0.43_all.deb
firmware-bnx2x_0.43_all.deb
firmware-brcm80211_0.43_all.deb
firmware-intelwimax_0.43_all.deb
firmware-ipw2x00_0.43_all.deb
firmware-iwlwifi_0.43_all.deb
firmware-libertas_0.43_all.deb
firmware-linux-nonfree_0.43_all.deb
firmware-myricom_0.43_all.deb
firmware-netxen_0.43_all.deb
firmware-qlogic_0.43_all.deb
firmware-ralink_0.43_all.deb
firmware-realtek_0.43_all.deb
firmware-ti-connectivity_0.43_all.deb
firmware-zd1211_3.0.0.56-3_all.deb

And here are the package names for installing with apt.

b43-fwcutter firmware-atheros firmware-b43-installer firmware-b43legacy-installer firmware-bnx2 firmware-bnx2x firmware-brcm80211 firmware-intelwimax firmware-ipw2x00 firmware-iwlwifi firmware-libertas firmware-linux-nonfree firmware-myricom firmware-netxen firmware-qlogic firmware-ralink firmware-realtek firmware-ti-connectivity firmware-zd1211

WOW! Code boxes that don't break my line. Nice. Thanks to whoever did that.

Edit: I would guess that the most common ones are atheros, iwlwifi, realtek and broadcom (all the ones that start with b). The ralink is another realtek. I have one of those on a pci card.

Last edited by fsmithred (2017-04-26 00:56:53)

#41 2017-04-26 11:31:43

FOSSuser

I tried installing firmware-atheros in a live Crowz session using dpkg, but it didn't work. sad

Works fine in a Refracta live session. smile

#42 2017-04-26 14:17:56

fsmithred
Administrator

FOSSuser wrote:

I tried installing firmware-atheros in a live Crowz session using dpkg, but it didn't work. sad

Works fine in a Refracta live session. smile

Any clues as to what was missing? In what way did it not work?
If the package installed, did the module get loaded, or did you load it?

#43 2017-04-26 15:22:02

FOSSuser

In Refracta, all I do is install it & wifi then works, but not in Crowz. (Running live.)

I have since tried installing Crowz, (todays JVM, downloaded), & the wifi didn't come up, tried again by using dpkg, rebooted, but still no wifi.
Having rebooted after installing the firmware should have produced a result, but it didn't, no connections were available.

Anyway, I've now put GreenJeans Mate on one SDHC card, & MIYO on another, & they work in my netbook. smile

#44 2017-04-26 20:16:03

greenjeans
Website

FOSSuser wrote:

In Refracta, all I do is install it & wifi then works, but not in Crowz. (Running live.)

I have since tried installing Crowz, (todays JVM, downloaded), & the wifi didn't come up, tried again by using dpkg, rebooted, but still no wifi.
Having rebooted after installing the firmware should have produced a result, but it didn't, no connections were available.

Anyway, I've now put GreenJeans Mate on one SDHC card, & MIYO on another, & they work in my netbook. smile

That's strange if this is the same machine you're talking about, the mate iso's don't have firmware-atheros or even the linux-free packages installed unless you added them.

#45 2017-04-27 00:10:03

zephyr
Website

Not sure why FOSSuser is having wifi issues or with live session. However did find some interesting vids on YouTube featuring both Crowz and Zephyr distros along with many others listed with Devuan.  The up-loader of the vids does not seem to have an issue with wifi or live session.

Maybe this could be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ … rowz+linux

cheers

zephyr

CROWZ

#46 2017-04-27 12:20:32

FOSSuser

greenjeans wrote:

That's strange if this is the same machine you're talking about,

Sorry, this is on a different machine, it's an oldish netbook that can boot from SD cards.

I was originally trying it on one of my desktops that has a TP-Link PCI Express card in it, (works no problem with Debian/AntiX). (I think the model number is TL-WN781ND.)

I just tried a 'live' Devuan RC 1.0.0 on another of my laptops, & it couldn't find a network either!
(So, maybe, it's down to Devuan itself.)

[Anyway, I'll be off trying a new version of my backup O/S today, (OpenBSD).]

Last edited by FOSSuser (2017-04-27 12:21:13)

#47 2017-04-27 22:31:25

greenjeans
Website

FOSSuser wrote:

I just tried a 'live' Devuan RC 1.0.0 on another of my laptops, & it couldn't find a network either!
(So, maybe, it's down to Devuan itself.)

Package list on the RC doesn't show any firmware at all, so that may be why, FSR said I guess that the .debs for some stuff were on there? Guess I need to download it finally, lol, bandwidth is back to squat here today.

#48 2017-04-29 09:26:57

FOSSuser

There were 2 reasons I gave up using Debian to do installations, one was lack of needed firmware, it just became tedious having to add them in after getting it installed, the other was how slow an installation was, using tailor made 'live' distros was so much quicker & far easier. smile

I like minimalism, so I go for distros that use a WM, my preference is Fluxbox, though I have used Openbox quite a bit as well.

As an aside, I finally persuaded my sister to ditch Windows XP & use Linux, so spent yesterday setting her up with AntiX, because I know it well enough to keep her up & running.

Board footer